Are there any styles you find yourself having a hard time appreciating?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 3, 2013.

1. It's come to my attention that I can never finish anything from a cask. The boredom sets my eyes adrift, they lock on something cold, fresh, and carbonated, and it's over.

My first sour was a struggle to put down, but damn, 10 minutes later, I was craving another!

2. Too many to list...srs.

3. I might get shot for this one but, IPAs. My gosh, I've tried to like them. I mean Celebration was okay, but the other ones that I've tried (Union Jack, SA Whitewater IPA, and a couple IPAs from a bar in Boston) all tasted the same, all like grapefruit. Seriously, are there IPAs out there that don't taste like insanely bitter grapefruit?

mwar and Andygirl like this.
  4. I'd say the triple IPA. I know that's not actually a style according to BA, but many breweries bill some of their offerings as such. I could honestly do without Devil Dancer, Hop Dam, and DFH 120.

5. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Savant (365) New York Jan 23, 2011

Pilsners, Wits and Pale Ales. I drink all three, just not very often.

6. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Witbiers. mehhhhhhhhh

I also hate anything heavy on coriander or lemongrass

YogiBeer likes this.
  7. I pick up the citrus and fruity aroma's from west coast style IPA's when drinking them. I don't feel bad about that.

8. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Savant (385) Ohio May 13, 2008

Have not been a fan of the spiced up Winter/Christmas beers. Although I did enjoy some spiced pumpkin beers this fall.

9. Pilsners. Never really have enjoyed them. That and the majority of coffee beers, too many taste like wet grounds and not well
    brewed coffee, but the good ones are fantastic.

10. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

DIPA's ad pretty much anything that calls itself Imperial

11. cyraschris

cyraschris Aficionado (180) Florida Dec 15, 2012

Farmhouse ales and Saisons are the only ones I've had to drain pour so far. I really enjoy many other Belgian varieties and was excited and just couldn't do it. Tried a few to be sure I didn't get a bad batch or maybe it was just that particular brand or style. I haven't tried any sours yet, but the thought puts me off. I'll try eventually, probably sooner than later though I'm sure.
    I don't dislike IPA's, but I've come to realize I'm very picky about them is all.

JohnnyHopps likes this.
  12. Thecherryman

Thecherryman Initiate (0) Arizona Dec 8, 2010

American Wild Ales/Sours!

13. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Love this. Too many American brewers try to do a tripel or Belgian "Golden Ale" and they usually just taste like sweet candied pineapple booze syrup. Same with wits and hefes. Most Euro styles are delicate, intricate, and artful, with techniques perfected over centuries of brewing tradition. American brewers should tread lightly and not make these styles unless they really know what they are doing.

BEERchitect likes this.
  14. kpacedo

kpacedo Savant (265) California Nov 24, 2009

Gangnam.

Azzy likes this.
  15. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Something about scotch ales

16. I can definitely pick up some citrus and such, but sometimes some reviews are just ridiculous in the adjectives that they use that make me think they are liars and terrible people.

17. Gotcha! And I agree. I haven't posted a review in a few months, I am just enjoying what I am drinking without trying to come up with some artfully penned review.

Andygirl and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  18. I've actually never reviewed on BA.

I just blog about them :p

19. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (715) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

Same here, but I do plan on visiting Schlenkerla in the spring when I am in Bamberg.

ThirstyBird likes this.
  20. adamette

adamette Advocate (560) Ohio Aug 23, 2007

Hey, thanks for the good advice...it took me a LONG time to come around to IPAs so possibly Barleywines will take me a similar amount of time...

21. adamette

adamette Advocate (560) Ohio Aug 23, 2007

Great Lakes Eliot Ness should be tried as well before making conclusions about Ambers.

22. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Tripels, Dubbels. :(

23. Dragonfruit; the most dissapointing fruit ever. Its gorgeous on the outside, bland and white and flavorless on the inside!

luwak and YogiBeer like this.
  24. Try dem bayou wata', dem wata' got dat funk

25. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

LOL. We sell i fresh where I work, and people are always sooo sad... esp since it's $7/apiece...

26. "Malt Liquor" Yuck.

27. I just like the red dress :)

28. American attempts at Belgian Golden Ales. They tend to overdo the spices and either add adjunct, or skimp on the grains altogether. Ends up tasting like a weak spice tea, and the high alcohol content gives you a headache. Anything with cherry added tastes like cough syrup to me, even if the cherries are real.

29. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (410) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

Hefs, Wits, all wheat ales.. pilsners.. lagers..

30. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

IPA, Double IPA, Imperial IPA, Black IPA.

31. Adamdc

Adamdc Savant (275) Massachusetts Nov 18, 2007

Coffee stouts
    Spiced beers (most pumpkin beers and winter warmers)
    Black IPA's
    Scotch Ales

32. And there are NO dragons.

devlishdamsel likes this.
  33. jnoff78

jnoff78 Disciple (60) Wisconsin Sep 22, 2012

It's hard to find a light lager that is great. Some are good but not great. Also, Belgium Strongs are a hard sell.

34. Sours, stouts and porters. The list may grow as I try some of the other styles mentioned here.

35. wheat beers just dont do much for me. they have to really bring it for me to appreciate them.

mwar likes this.
  36. I like IPAs, but just can't handle the Double or Imperial IPA style. I love Stone IPA, but Ruination... it was my ruin.

37. Nope and THATS why I love EM !!!

38. Sours, Barleywines

39. Everything I've had that says "doppelbock" (including Celebrator) I find too sweet. I already know I'm not going to like spiced or "flavored" beer and don't even go there anymore - the few times I've had anything like that from variety packs, etc., I've been proved right about this. I keep trying Red beers like Lag Impy Red and Nugget Nectar and the one from the SN beer camp this year, and none of them have done anything for me yet. More for you!