1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Are there any styles you find yourself having a hard time appreciating?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Porters, winter warmers, Belgian winter/syrup ales, and most "west" coast style ipas (simcoe and warrior), I want complexity not a pine cone.

2. Rauchbier/Smoked Beers ,
    American/English Pale Ales ,
    most IPA's & Adjunct Lager

3. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

True its one of the coolest looking fruits in the world but it tastes like nothing. Of course my palate it awful so many there is a lot of flavor detected by some. for me it a very light sweetness

4. JK4Stout

JK4Stout Aficionado (240) Virginia May 10, 2010

I try but just can't hang with ESB's or Pilsners. I have finally just stopped buying Pilsners all together as I just gave four out each six pack away anyway.

5. the few gose's i've had were horrendous. some (most?) have added salt. yuck

6. Pilsner (have had victory prima pils twice... tasted like ground up aspirin), most lagers, most sours (have had a couple I like, haven't had many), dubbels and quads

7. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Savant (485) Illinois Nov 2, 2011

Sours, pumpkin or blueberry beers.

8. Someone gave me a sixer of Purple Haze (Rasberry)...Nope. Couldn't finish the first one.

9. Belgians and Sours. And I am thankful for that. I'm a cheap date.

10. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

winter warmers, black IPA's, and black saisons

11. GennyCreamAle

A Brooklyn Sorachi Ace may change your mind on this

djsmith1174 likes this.
  12. ^ and Bruery Saison Rue and Saison de Lente are pretty delicious

13. I
    had the same thought, but I had it on tap. Maybe it was old or something because I didn't get much hop and hated it.

14. Anything with pumpkin in it. If I want pumpkin, I'll eat a pie. And Lambics. I just can't get into them. I'm not a sour lover, and all I can think of when I taste them is vinegar.

15. Anything that don't taste good.

16. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

I really tried and I could not think of any. I love the experimentation of trying anything. I have yet to drain pour any beer. I don't order things like light lagers, but I'll drink them if provided to me. I have styles that I certainly enjoy more, but none that I really dislike and avoid. It may help that I'm also a cheapskate much of the time.

17. Lagers. Not even just the adjunct light stuff that's so (unfortunately) popular. Even the well down craft ones (with the exception of Blue Points Toasted Lager) really do nothing for me. Can't even really find myself enjoying Oktoberfests anymore, with the rare exception there too. Most bocks do nothing for me these days as well. Unless there's some interesting malt in there (or it's got some weizenbock action going or they're a doppel with some really bold breadiness or caramel/toffee action) they just leave me kind of cold.

18. Bourbon beers just aren't for me. I'd be more than happy to trade a bourbon county coffee if someone wants. I will not enjoy drinking this beer...

19. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Have you had Wookie Jack or Sublimely Self-Righteous yet?

20. GennyCreamAle

Both. I liked wookey jack better.

21. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Alright. Just making sure you had tried them. Those are my favorite of the style.

22. Scotch Ales and nut browns

23. Probly be hard to get unless you live or know someone in New England, but I used to think the same way until we started getting Jack's Abby in my area. They have definately helped me appreciate how delicious real fresh lager can be...

24. I love stouts, but I just can't appreciate imperial stouts anymore.

25. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (715) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Light beers and sours. It isn't that I have a hard time appreciating them, I just plain hate 'em. Beer should neither taste like sparkling water nor a vitamin C tablet.

26. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

Salt is one of the requisite ingredients to a Gose.

JxExM likes this.
  27. kbuzz

kbuzz Advocate (590) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2011

I've made a massive, active attempt to get on board with Belgian style beer over the past year to two years. I've come around on almost everything Belgian other than Saison. I feel like this style is so popular...and I've honestly had so many in an attempt to appreciate the style...but every Saison I've had is just bleh. To be honest, the only reason I keep trying is because every raves about Hill Farmstead (before someone chimes in...Belgian-style (farmhouse) AMERICAN brewery, I know)....I'm aware that they make other beers other than saisons, but I feel like some of their most highly rated/acclaimed beers are saisons and I've just been so overwhelmingy bored with all of them.

28. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (560) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Pumpkin & spiced Christmas beers also witbiers but I just need to try more after giving this style a WIDE birth after being overrun by Blue Moon groupies. Blue Moon itself, for me is simply detestable, smell, taste and mouthfeel. Hoegaarden is a better main stream version but my favorite of this style would be Great Lakes Holy Moses.

29. Farmhouse ales, Saisons, smoked anything and pumpkin (with the exception of Lips of Faith Kick). I keep trying to find beer of these styles I might like though.

30. Caedus

Caedus Disciple (55) California Jul 29, 2010

I have a hard time getting into Lagers... Pumpkin beers too ill drink but never truly enjoy...

31. keep looking. cause i thought the same thing. finally caved on the saisons after having a cantillon gueze and realizing my palate accepted it (and loved it). immediately tried a saison dupont and fell in love. i can't get enough. or maybe try an orval. delish. i also thought i hated smoked beers and then i had this - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/263/1324 and i am dyyying for another! don't give up quite yet!

32. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

These are the styles I pretty much hate:

Rauchbier/Smoked Beers
    Chile beer or anything with hot peppers in it.
    Adjunct Lager
    Light Lager

These are the styles I don't really hate but don't really like to drink:

Dry Irish Stout
    English Mild
    Brown Ales
    Black Ale (Black IPA)
    Steam Beer

33. RickS95

RickS95 Savant (490) Indiana Mar 19, 2004

Krieks and Black IPAs. Anything from Mexico. Any macro from the States.

34. I love "sour" but all the American farmhouse ales from Stillwater and even Fantome saisons, I haven't had one I like. I love almost everything I've had from Cantillion.

35. Black saison is the type of beer I have the most trouble getting into.

Anything bourbon aged is probably too masked by the bourbon for me to have any interest in drinking it (I'm likely one of the few that can't stand BCBS).

Wheat beers (other than Belgian Wit) I just can't get into anymore. I drank them like crazy about 6 years ago, but can't get into them anymore at all.

36. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

I'm horrible. I only drink stuff that's dark.... the darker the better. I'll humor an occassionaly belgian ale, but most of the time it's porters and stouts. My theory is I'll broaden my horizons when I get bored... hasn't happened yet!
    Wheat I truly dislike.... smoke and pumpkin I haven't even given a chance!

37. dglgmut

dglgmut Aficionado (105) New Jersey Jul 12, 2012

Stouts...There, I said it. Whew, that feels good. I just can't do them. I have had some good ones and really enjoyed a few, but it's just not my thing. Also, anything smoked. Tastes like a BBQ pit.

HjaltiB likes this.
  38. phildo7pt9

phildo7pt9 Zealot (85) California May 1, 2011

The VE 11.11.11 Aged in Red Wine Barrels got rid of most of the pepper taste, and was a lot better than the original. I loved all the other ones though