1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Are there any styles you find yourself having a hard time appreciating?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 3, 2013.

1. fvernon

fvernon Savant (370) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

red, brown, and cream ales... yet to try one I can really get into
  2. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

Sours, gueuzes are trash. Can't get into them at all. And smoked beers, don't like my beer tasting like camp fire.
  3. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Belgians. Can't do it, just not my taste, and too many other good beers to waste time trying to like them.
  4. Smoked marzens.
  5. Smoked beers are probably the ones that throw me off the most.
  6. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

The only style of beer I can't appreciate is those non-alcoholic ones. Don't know what it is, but feel as though something is missing....
    JxExM likes this.
  7. I've liked most of them, but that one was a chore to drink.

I may have to be a bit of a hypocrite, because SA Vixen is actually a very tasty beer.
    phildo7pt9 likes this.
  8. Rauchbiers, Black IPA, and most ESB.
  9. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I actually liked the 11.11.11, but the Red Wine version blew the original away. It was so strange and complex that for a second your taste buds aren't sure whats happening.

The lighting sucked for this pic.

[​IMG]
    "The nose is definitely from the wine barrels. Acidic, red grapes, booze, oak, vanilla, cinnamon, apple skins, brown sugar, caramel and just the slightest hint of chiles. The nose is very similar to a sour (specifically Russian River Supplication). The taste is odd, complex and intriguing. Cherries, grapes, chiles, red wine, oak, vanilla, caramel, cinnamon, apples, a hint of bitterness and some subtle booziness."
  10. charlzm

charlzm Advocate (710) California Sep 3, 2007

Using the BA style list, these are beer styles that, no matter how well-made, just don't do anything for me:

-Black IPAs (American Black Ale)
    -American Blonde Ale
    -American Pale Wheat Ale
    -Black & Tan
    -Chile Beer
    -Pumpkin Ale
    -ANY American lager of any style
    -Pilsener
    -Euro Pale Lager
    -Any Japanese lager
    -Pretty much any fruit or vegetable beer

I've had enough of these styles to either politely decline or try a few sips of for courtesy's sake. They're just not for me.
  11. Well shit, now I want to try that version
    DonDirkA likes this.
  12. What DO you like??

I would have agreed with you on the Japanese beer thing, but then I had a sampling of a few beers from Kiuchi brewery and now im sold on their quality. Their sake barrel aged belgian strong was awesome!
  13. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

I have found worthy beers in every style I have tried, save for one. Rauchbier. I can not get past the meaty, smokey, umami taste that these beers impart to my palate. I may yet find one I enjoy. That said....I do love the peat-smoked flavors in many Scotch Ales.
  14. English style barleywine is WAY better than the overly-hopped american style IMO. Put it into bourbon barrels and it is one of my top three styles.
    Brunite likes this.
  15. Those who like to get knocked around by beer never seek out the amber. DoubleDBA from Firestone kicks much ass, but it is indeed Imperial. Oak Creek amber from AZ tastes like breakfast cereal, does that count?
  16. Thedrizzle

Thedrizzle Savant (435) Florida Sep 10, 2012

17. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

Sours. I've only had three different ones, but my body has a strange reaction to them. I get all gassy, and get pain in my chest, which subsides when I have dozens of tiny burps. This really sucks, because I actually like the flavor a whole lot. I wonder if it's the bacteria, but I drink Kombucha all the time, and have even home-brewed it. I also make my own lacto-fermented veggies, so I don't know exactly what my body is reacting badly to.
  18. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

just fruit beers mainly, Kriek the really good ones I can appreciate but its not my thing. oh I do not like the gruit beers at all. Give me hops or nothing.

19. Havent tried either. I cant stand the regular DBA . Too sweet and not enough hops. Its also a bitter and not an Amber
  20. Belgian Dubbel (save Pater 6 and the likes)
    Belgian Strong Dark Ale
    Black IPA
    Brown Ale

As a whole, these guys just don't get much love from me.
  21. Tripels, Brown Ales, And Dubbel's. I have had a few good triples, But they are few and far between in my opinion.
  22. dianimal

dianimal Savant (420) California Apr 18, 2012

I'm still quite new to trying good craft beers, but I didn't care for the Belgian pale ales or IPAs I tried in the past so I stopped trying them. If someone can recommend some really tasty ones, maybe I will try again.
  23. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

I don't know if there's any style I'd write off completely, I can think of an example I like in most, but I tend to avoid wheat heavy styles and beers that have added coffee\smoke flavor (although I enjoy the natural notes of those flavors in porters\stouts).
  24. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (605) California Dec 15, 2012

I don't care for really bitter IPA's. However, I found Bear Republic Racer 5 to be very smooth without much of the bitterness found in other IPA's. I enjoyed it. I'm probably going to take some Racer 5 (and other styles) to a Super Bowl party to introduce craft beers to friends.
  25. Most beers not of the american IPA variety. I do enjoy the occasional porter every now and then, and don't mind a well made pumpkin ale come the fall. But mostly...anything that's not an IPA. That said there are many different styles I haven't tried yet so maybe that will change.
  26. Pilseners. not that i have anything wrong with the way the taste, but if i want something crisp and refreshing i'll just drink water. then again i'm not one of those people who drinks beer all day, every day. so when i drink a beer i want lots of flavor and alcohol.

and of course, pumpkin beers. can't do em.
    charlzm likes this.
  27. lookrider

lookrider Savant (390) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

I was like that with sours at first also. Then I had another and another and now I'm craving them. For me, I have a hard time appreciating Imperial Stouts. They're alright and I'll drink and enjoy one or two a year but I just don't seek them out and it seems the vast majority of BA's really love them.
  28. Pilsner - taste similar to AALs to me, just more expensive

Pumpkin - f'ing gross, I don't get it at all
    charlzm likes this.
  29. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

While I have preferences, I can find a beer in pretty much any style that I enjoy. My palate is a whore.
    JxExM, tectactoe and devlishdamsel like this.
  30. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

For me its sours, i can do the fruit lambics (love Raspberry Tart) and Flanders Red, but the straight lambics and sours just put me off. I received a RR Beat 5 and some Mo Betta Bretta in a BIF box and I am scared to open them at home. I dont want to drain pour what others say are great beers if I don't like them. Waiting for a tasting. that way I can taste it and decide.

That being said, 2 years ago you couldnt get me to drink more than one IPA of any type in a sitting. Now I LOVE them so hopefully the Sours will grow on me.
  31. dianimal

dianimal Savant (420) California Apr 18, 2012

Oops...! I guess I was misleading in my post. What I am trying to say is that I don't care for Belgian pale ales or Belgian IPAs (not all IPAs in general). I actually LOVE IPAs (just not Belgian!), DIPAs (Palate Wrecker!!), sours, and strong ales. I tried some Belgian beers about a year ago (I wish I could remember what they were) and didn't see what the big deal was. Not much flavor.

As I said, I'm still a newbie so I may not be explaining myself very well...
  32. Not a fan of barleywines at all have had a few different ones and just not my thing
    BrownAleMale likes this.
  33. avalonct

avalonct Aficionado (205) Michigan Oct 11, 2012

I've tried for years to like sours and they still don't agree with my pallet....all my buddies tell me to keep trying different variations and eventually they will taste delicious.
  34. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I don't like sours. I even visited Crooked Stave down in Denver with an open mind. I appreciated the craft of the beers, but they all tasted like Warhead candy to me. Just not flavors that I prefer to be in beer. I haven't found any lambics that I'm crazy about. I did, however, try an Oud Bruin (O'dells) and I liked that well enough. But I still wouldn't seek it out often.

Anything overly light and muted. Such as cream ales or blondes. Just kind of boring.

I don't want to say I dislike wheats because I've had a few that I've really liked, but overall, the style doesn't excite me much.

A fruit beer has to be super balanced and special for me to be happy about it.

Lagers...eh...most of them bore me, but I'm trying really hard to keep an open mind. And there are some styles of lagers that I like more than others, like the occasional Oktoberfest at the right time of year. But overall I usually ignore lagers.

All that said...I will try samples of any beer. I've never been unhappy that I had the experience of trying a beer, whether I liked it or not.
  35. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

This. I scored a bottle of King Henry last year, and while it was certainly the best barleywine I ever had, overall I barely thought it was ok. The first barleywine I ever had was Old Crustacean, and that stuff was gross to me, despite its 90/99 rating here. It's just something I can't get into.
    BrownAleMale likes this.
  36. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Nope, but I have hard time understanding how certain styles are overappreciated.
  37. charlzm

charlzm Advocate (710) California Sep 3, 2007

I like browns, porters, stouts, ambers, all English styles, all German styles (except Kolsch), lots of stuff with the word "pale" in the style name... pretty much all Belgian styles...
  38. Saisons. But I just picked up a bottle of Logsdon Seizoen Bretta, so I'm hoping that'll change my tune.
  39. Pilsner
    IPA (but there are some that I like... for example, Victory Hop Devil)
    Cheap adjunct Lagers like Busch and Natural Light.
    And of course Malt Liquor is usually pretty bad. Tastes like corn-water. Funny because i used to drink it quite often.