1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Are Toppling Goliath's PseudoSue & King Sue regular releases?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by jblaze36wv, Mar 24, 2014.

1. jblaze36wv

jblaze36wv Zealot (95) New Jersey Aug 10, 2010

Hi folks,

I'm looking to try some TG beers and was wondering if these two are regularly available. If not, what is their best regularly available beer (any style)? Obviously Kentucky Breakfast, Mornin Delight, and Assassin are basically unattainable so I wanted to see what I can possibly get a hold of via regular trade.
  2. I'll jump in and ask another question. Has King Sue ever been bottled or are there plans to bottle it? I had it at the EBF and enjoyed it tremendously.
  3. King Sue has never been bottled because this was the first batch of it. I think the word is that they plan to bottle the next batch but who knows when that will be.

Pseudo sue on the other hand is somewhat easy to get a hold of when they release it which is about once a month or so. But it still trades pretty well because so many people want it. I would trade you some right now but I am out and it is no longer on shelves at the moment.
  4. jblaze36wv

jblaze36wv Zealot (95) New Jersey Aug 10, 2010

Thanks for the info ToadiesForCody. I would be interested next time you get a hold of some.
  5. Sunn

Sunn Savant (400) Iowa Oct 14, 2012

Like ToadiesForCody said, Psuedo Sue is easily their most obtainable beer. Psuedo Sue seems to become available every couple of weeks, while every other beer they bottle seems pretty sporadic. Lately all I've been seeing are different bottles of their XHop series, Zeelander, Dorothy, and Psuedo Sue.

Check out their Facebook page, too. They update it constantly with what's being released.
  6. lowbit

lowbit Initiate (0) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2013

This is demonstrably untrue. While they're also excellent beers, Zeelander sells much slower than PseudoSue, and Dorothys lasts on the shelves at least an order of magnitude longer than either.
  7. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Naw. Dorothy is so much easier to find than pseudoSue.
  8. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Savant (360) Minnesota Jun 24, 2013

Does Dorothy's really count ? ;)
    THANAT0PSIS and Stevedore like this.
  9. dkrep

dkrep Aficionado (125) Wisconsin Oct 4, 2013

Dorothy's is easy and lasts longest because it is their least desirable beer. It is a delicious lager, one of the best I've ever had, but lagers aren't exactly hot right now.

Sue comes around about once a month, if not closer to every 2-3 weeks. Usually obtainable but definitely in demand thanks to threads like this.

Zeelander about every 6-8 weeks or so. Doesn't sell as fast as Sue because not everyone knows about it. Delicious beer though, definitely worth trying.

Sosus seems to be about every 12 weeks or so, maybe even longer. Had two releases since October. I imagine King Sue (if bottled) will fall into this category.
    ParkbrauFan likes this.
  10. Let's not get carried away. Dorothy's wouldn't be in my top 50 lagers. It's a pretty bland example of a lager, especially when compared to NG, MN Town Hall, Great Lakes, and Victory. Hell, I'd be hard pressed to consider Dorothy's as good as Sam Adams Boston Lager. Let's not even bring German lagers like Weihenstephaner and Ayinger into the conversation.

It doesn't really matter, though, because TG is overall an awesome brewery.
  11. dman127

dman127 Aficionado (240) Illinois Jul 11, 2011

Just finished a 32oz growler of King Sue. It's the real deal, my friends. Hope they begin to bottle it.
    Hopsiam14 and Erdinger2003 like this.
  12. tgchief

tgchief Savant (270) Iowa Nov 30, 2010

King Sue was a fun idea Mike had. Since it was the first time we brewed it, we did not want to do anything other than create a new beer and see what you had to say. Since this is a single hopped Citra double, we will have to plan it into our hop contracts and production schedule to bring it to you more regular. In the meantime, your reactions and those of our mug club members has us planning to do just that. We will go to work on a label and look forward to bringing you more of this beer, and in bottles. We will make it as often as our supply of hops lets us, with out compromising planned production of pseudoSue.

pseudoSue will continue to be ramped up until the markets we are in are happy. We really enjoy your enthusiasm for this beer, and hope to continue to strive to ensure you can get it fresh, and often.

Thanks for your comments, encouragement and criticisms. And your support for all craft beer! After all, every one in the industry works very hard, with a common goal of pleasing you.

Cheers!

Clark
  13. As a Twin Cities border hopper, just wanted to say thanks for increasing the production so those trips to Hudson become worth while for each trip (if the avatar doesn't give it away!). I had a chance to try a self-concocted SueZee this weekend, very tasty! Is there any chance of this ever hitting your radar for bottling or even few kegs?
    ToadiesForCody likes this.
  14. tgchief

Your welcome!

Sometimes Bob makes some firkins of SueZee! It's pretty fun indeed! We had some at Brrrfest 2 years ago, GTMW last year and on occasion in our taproom for firkin Friday. We also sell it in growler mixes for quick consumption only :)
    ToadiesForCody likes this.
  15. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Savant (360) Minnesota Jun 24, 2013

Heard you guys rocked it at EBF, congrats and wish you guys the best

Looking forward to the day assasin, kbbs, and mornin' are all 20,000 bottle releases (one can wish right!)
    ToadiesForCody, josephwa and tgchief like this.
  16. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (260) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

The market aka my fridge won't be happy until there's year round Sue six packs in it ;)
  17. bocky24

bocky24 Aficionado (150) Iowa Apr 10, 2013

Pseudo Sue is prob most available if their beers in bottles, I was at brewery last Friday and they said King Sue will be bottled for the next batch.
  18. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

To each his own, but I completely disagree. As a lager fan, I think Dorothy holds its own against any of the lagers you mentioned above. Except Victory because I haven't been fotunate enough to try that yet. ;)

Dorothy is an excellent lager. The only slight quibble I have with it is that $7 a bomber for a lager seems a bit steep to me, so I don't buy it very often.
    SipIt likes this.
  19. iowapat

iowapat Zealot (90) Iowa Aug 9, 2009

And you know that this mug club member will be there when it hits the taproom

How are those pappy barrels coming along?
    Stevedore likes this.
  20. wspanic201

wspanic201 Aficionado (205) Iowa Apr 26, 2010

GUYS! - They're brewing King Sue this week!!

:D
  21. tgchief

They are coming along very nicely Patrick! Every single one tasted great, but needs more time, and this could lead to having plenty of beer for Mike to create some variations.

We are going to make sure that we plan the event to keep people from showing up and not getting beer. Our goal is to have Assassin, MD, Kentucky Brunch and variations if possible all available. Now you know that does not always happen, but it is our goal.

We will give people plenty of notice on how it is going to go down, once we figure it out. As you know we have a small space and want to make sure every one that comes gets a chance to try the beers first. Last year we ran out too early and that was my fault. This year the pours will be smaller and limited, but at least you can still try before you buy.

Cheers!
    CLaBarre, pkassel, DrZeus10 and 10 others like this.
  22. TomHouTX

TomHouTX Aficionado (140) Texas Dec 7, 2012

I will be visiting from Texas this weekend and staying in the vicinity of Iowa City. Any chance I might find some bottles of PseudoSue on store shelves? Or any other recommendations for good Iowa local beers? I plan to hit up John's Grocery while I'm there, are there any other good bottle shops I should visit? Cheers!
  23. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (915) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

If KingSue is ever bottled, I'm afraid that poor Decora will meltdown from nuclear aftermath at TG.
    BeerGoogler and ToadiesForCody like this.
  24. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (915) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Looks like you will need to triple production to keep current markets happy. When Sosus is shipped to Madison, it is like a water droplet hitting a hot surface because it is gone before it ever arrives at the store...

I've been lucky to try most everything that makes it to Madison. Wish I could make the drive to visit the brewer. :)
  25. You should, they are awesome dudes!!
  26. OnIowa

OnIowa Aficionado (165) Iowa May 31, 2011

I don't think you'll find bottles anywhere. I haven't heard of a delivery this week. You might find some Dorothy's, but that's about it.

You can likely find Sue, Zee, and GNug on tap if you look around. I'd start at Red's Alehouse in North Liberty (my personal favorite, with great taps and great food), The Santuary in Iowa City, and Short's Burgers and Shine in IC. Short's does all Iowa beers on tap, so they have a nice selection of locally available options. Red's and the Sanctuary both fill growlers, so there is a to-go option available, albeit hard to ship.

For bottles, John's has about everything. Johncy's in North Liberty is very good as well. The Coralville Hy-Vee is also surprisingly good.
    TomHouTX likes this.
  27. wspanic201

Johns is your best bet for bottle shops. As far as bottles of PseudoSue, they usually sell out the day they are delivered around Iowa City. If you are looking for bottles, I hear there is a place in Wisconsin that seems to be the TG warehouse, so you could always try there ;)

The Sanctuary, just down the road from Johns, will fill growlers for $15. GL.

EDIT: What OnIowa said.
    TomHouTX likes this.
  28. The Casanova is all out of bottles, but they do have growler fills of some TG beers.
  29. aubzachsyd

aubzachsyd Savant (305) Iowa Oct 7, 2013

Do you guys plan on being at Between the Bluffs this year? If so do you have a line up of beers yet? Assassin caused quite a scene, was hoping for another go at it.
  30. TgBC

TgBC Aficionado (185) Iowa Aug 28, 2011

Shoot me a message if you make the trip. Happy to have a beer or two.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Ri0 likes this.
  31. TgBC

TgBC Aficionado (185) Iowa Aug 28, 2011

We'll be pouring at Between the Bluffs, but no official lineup yet.

Cheers,
    Mike
    aubzachsyd likes this.
  32. dman127

dman127 Aficionado (240) Illinois Jul 11, 2011

Like +1000...

.....and thankful I have 'a guy' in IA who loves Pipeworks (as well as TG) as much as I love TG (as well as Pipeworks!

33. I respect the brewery to a great degree, but even taking price out of it, Dorothy is good, while New Glarus Lagers are amazing. I would never turn Dorothy down but I do not think it is up there with the top lagers in the country by any stretch. I love a nice lager as every "so called" craft drinker should, but Dorothy while good does not hold its own against the likes of New Glarus, Victory and Great Lakes Lagers... I will say it is on par with Boston Lager. (which is no knock)

But to be fair it is a California Common/Steam which I have never had from any of the above breweries. So... this is more of a general lager comparison.
  34. TomHouTX

Thanks for the info, I suspected my timing for bottles of PseudoSue would not be good! I'll just have to try and find it on tap. I've been to Short's a couple of times... I love that place and will try to make a stop there too!
  35. OnIowa

OnIowa Aficionado (165) Iowa May 31, 2011

Fresh Sue and Twisted Galaxy are headed to IC today. You should be able to find either or both this weekend.
    TomHouTX likes this.
  36. TomHouTX

Thanks! Do you know if this would include bottles?
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  37. wspanic201

No bottles, just kegs.
  38. TomHouTX

Enjoying a PsuedoSue at Short's Burgers. Very nice!
    Hopsiam14, OnIowa and lonewolfcry like this.
  39. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

Had a Murph's Irish Red at Red's this afternoon.
  40. If any one wants a hf e or beat batch 6 and wants to trade a growler or king sue message me. Thanks!