1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Are you hooked on IPAs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 19etz55, Feb 15, 2013.

1. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (335) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

I like to dabble. Trying new beers and new styles I feel is a lot of fun. But after trying so many different beers I still keep coming back to IPA's, DIPA's, Imperial IPA's. Is it that they are SO hoppy?! That hop zing just keeps pulling me back to IPA bliss. What about you?
    alysmith4 and headyhopzhead like this.
  2. bcook582

bcook582 Zealot (90) California Jan 4, 2012

I couldn't agree more with you, I feel the problem that I have come up against is that I am so used to the super hop with high ABV kick that everything else tastes a little bland......However high proof porters and stouts are extremely close to second for me.
    Wolfhead and Shagator like this.
  3. whiskey

whiskey Savant (330) California Feb 25, 2012

You new members always crack me up!

Wait...2007? :confused:
  4. j47paco

j47paco Savant (310) California Dec 19, 2010

Is this an undercover Hopslam thread?
  5. dav2080

dav2080 Aficionado (200) Wisconsin Mar 11, 2012

Like you ,I love exploring the different combinations of hops, malts, yeasts, waters etc. but I always go back to the IPA for my "comfort beer". Surly Furious, Rush River Bubble Jack, Summit Saga...
    Revenant, 19etz55 and SortaAmbivalent like this.
  6. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

You should create an "I <3 IPA" avatar
  7. IPA's are so different around the country and maybe that's why they are so fun to drink.
    19etz55 likes this.
  8. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Well, I'm not sure how serious this thread is being taken...

That aside, I too am "HOOKED" on IPA's. I find I'm on a six-month rotation between darker styles (stouts, porters, quads, etc) and hoppy beers. Partly seasonal preference, partly palate burn out. I'm definitely getting back into hops again. I crave the IPA/DIPA/Imperial IPA/hoppy APA profiles.
    Sixam2 likes this.
  9. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

10. dhannes

dhannes Savant (360) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

Since you asked...No! I'm a "malthead"--dislike most IPA's, save Great Dane's Imperial India Pale Ale. Hops were first added as a preservative!
    teal likes this.
  11. My two cents is that I love IPAs and double IPAs. Just bought some Palate Wrecker, Hop Ottin, Green Bullet, and Red Rye IPA today in Birmingham. Flavors and desirability vary widely among brands and offerings, but overall the venue is my favorite!
    19etz55 likes this.
  12. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (500) California Sep 13, 2009

IPA's are not my favorite style BUT whenever I feel exhausted from drinking too many sours, stouts or Belgians I don't stop drinking, I simply go for a super hoppy, high IBU IPA.
  13. Premo88

Premo88 Savant (465) Texas Jun 6, 2010

I am getting there.

Three months ago, I started getting back into beer and different types of beer. At the time I thought pilseners would end up being my favorite, but that isn't turning out to be true at all. More and more I'm finding I love the hops -- and sometimes pale ale isn't enough. I need more hops to go with my malt.
    hoplover888 and 19etz55 like this.
  14. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

I swear I feel a calming effect when I drink highly hopped ipa's verses other beers.
  15. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Savant (470) Michigan Jan 19, 2013

For me, all beers that are not PA's or IPA's or are black in color stay in the the store.
    I take the rest home.
    Mercury4040, Falcone and Goat_Warrior like this.
  16. bcook582

bcook582 Zealot (90) California Jan 4, 2012

I really think its funny how people shit on IPA's.......and I will agree that there A LOT of crappy ones out there.....however living on the west coast there are some spectacular IPA's here, and the fresher the better of course, but sitting down at russian river or alpine for basically a mainline drought pour from the PLE or PLY barrel or Pure Hoppyness is one of the best things ever.
    rgfellow, ottobon100 and 19etz55 like this.
  17. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Savant (470) Michigan Jan 19, 2013

That would be not black in color.
  18. I can say unequivocally that California IPAs are my favorite: Green Flash, Stone, and Bear are the best.
  19. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (455) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Basically all I drink, or hoppy versions of other styles (Hoponius Union, Nugget Nectar, Alpine Spring, etc.)
    19etz55 likes this.
  20. Desert beer = DIPA...no brainer for this self proclaimed hophead. The resinous fragrance of those hop filled brews reminds me of a miss-spent youth smelling bags of...well, you know. ;)
  21. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

No, no I am not.
    Bradystraps likes this.
  22. ffenski

ffenski Aficionado (205) Ohio Apr 24, 2008

Please try Lagunitas. The quintessential "Cali IPA". The draw from IPA's is not just the hoppy bitterness but the other flavors imparted by the different hop strains- grapefruit, mango, pineapple, etc. IMO, hops give up more flavor compounds than malts, so when you combine the two with an emphasis on hops, you get heaven!
  23. ThirstyFace

It's very hard to walk away from this without eye bullets and deathnailfarts in your face.
    19etz55 likes this.
  24. No. I hate them.
    Bradystraps likes this.
  25. 19etz55

If you ever get the chance try a Kane Head High IPA (NJ). I think you will be impressed. Have to say though that I had a Lagunitas IPA on tap here in NJ and it was fantastic!!!
  26. 19etz55

Had a Lagunitas IPA on tap last night and it was BLISSFULL!!!! Incredible!!
  27. stafford2

stafford2 Aficionado (195) Maryland Nov 13, 2010

I've been hooked for years. I don't even have the slightest desire for another style. I spend my beer energy/time/money looking for ways to acquire IPA/DIPAs from different breweries that I haven't tried before. As a result, anything that has more malt characteristic than two hearted tastes like a "malt bomb" - But I am not ashamed....I own that shit.
  28. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Advocate (500) Wisconsin Nov 30, 2008

Wait....he said something funny?
    19etz55 likes this.
  29. 19etz55

If you get the chance try a Kane (NJ) Head High IPA. I think you'll be glad you did. Long live HOPS!!!
    TongoRad and stafford2 like this.
  30. rrock44

rrock44 Savant (315) Washington Oct 27, 2009

I heart beer. IPAs, stouts, and barleywines would be my top 3 styles. Drinking lagunitas sucks right now. Prosit.
  31. ThirstyFace

If someone said to you that they only eat chicken noodle soup, when it comes to soup, and he said it with such affirmation and wood, you would think he's an utter tool. Well, now you ...........
    Tut likes this.
  32. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (595) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

I love beer in general! IPA's are fantastic and enjoy tons of them, but I feel, all beers have their time and place. All of this while I drink a DIPA. :)
    ChefHopMeister and 19etz55 like this.
  33. OMsweetOM

OMsweetOM Savant (305) California Feb 1, 2011

stouts with high IBUs too.

Hooray for IPAs!
    19etz55 likes this.
  34. whiskey

whiskey Savant (330) California Feb 25, 2012

Quit screwing up my joke, dude!
  35. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

I am trying to branch out to other beer styles but it never fails that if I buy something different, like an Imperial Stout or something like that, I still end up buying some IPAs just in case. The same thing happens if I get a mixed six pack. I go in with the idea that I am not going to get any IPAs, and I end up with at least three IPAs. The thing is, I can get a mixed six of IPAs and almost all of the are drastically different in flavor and hoppiness.
  36. I seem to always keep a hoppy pale or IPA in my fridge at all times.
    Bitter_Echo and 19etz55 like this.
  37. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Hooked? No. But I keep some around. Gotta clean your palate with something.
    19etz55 likes this.
  38. KansasBeerLover

KansasBeerLover Savant (320) Kansas Feb 16, 2009

Does a squirrel eat nuts? Pass the Palate Wrecker, please!
  39. omgshesaboy

omgshesaboy Zealot (90) Ohio Jul 19, 2010

IPAs got me into craft, but I seems to fall in and out of love with them now...but you are sure to find SNPA in my fridge at all times.
    19etz55 likes this.
  40. Yup.
    19etz55 likes this.
  41. damnit hell ya
    19etz55 likes this.