1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Are you hooked on IPAs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 19etz55, Feb 15, 2013.

1. malts > hops

yeaaa buddy ;)

SFACRKnight likes this.
  2. I have tried Lagunitas IPA, and it is really good. Maximus is my favorite there. Green Flash has made a real splash in my part of the country recently, with great availability in LA and AL. Of course Sierra Nevada is ubiquitous around here, and is in my fridge, but it is not in league with the other CA ales I mentioned.

3. West Coast IPAs are great, enjoyed a Palate Wrecker after a Maximus last night. I really love spicy and smokey beers, and agree that the malt character is of foremost importance, but there is just something comforting in bringing home a "no-surprises-here" hop bomb. Jack's Abby IPLs have really made a splash here in Mass! and for good reason too... Looking forward to getting some Heady and HF soon, and then I will drink IPAs for days

4. Being a "Noobie Hop Head" is a phase that will pass, believe me. Even though I totally love a good DIPA and have access to the best that style has to offer, a good porter or stout will also do the trick. Hell, Rivertowne out here started canning and they made this pineapple beer. Unreal good! Believe me. A party filled with beer geeks drank every can last night and raved about it.

5. Hoppy beers particularly DIPAs are delicious. Being on the east coast a co-worker brought me back the pliny from being out on a business trip. Just had some PtE last night, awesome. What would you say are your favorite easily accessible IPAs? For me it's probably 90 minute, I'm in NJ so it's always around...not sure what their availability nationwide is. Stone or Sierra torpedo are always good go-tos as well.

6. Since you're in NJ, give Flying Fish Exit 16 a shot- it recently came out in 12 oz bottles. Very hoppy, very good, and local.

fuzzylogic likes this.
  7. Looks like u gave me an excuse to go to our local beer superstore...the fiancé will be happy with more beer in the fridge. Thanks for the idea.

19etz55 and TongoRad like this.
  8. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

No, I am not hooked on IPAs. It took me a while to grow into them and now I definitely enjoy them way more than I used to and find myself craving one more often as well, but it's still not my favorite style at this time.

DarkDragon999 likes this.
  9. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

No more than any other beers, less than some. There are times when an IPA is just what I need but other times it's a nice stout or Belgian that I crave. Basically it's beer in all its wondrous variety that hooks me.

LambicPentameter likes this.
  10. Definitely on an IPA/APA roll these past 2 months. I am looking for that next grapefruit bomb.

For mostly all of 2012 I was only into browns, ambers, porters and stouts.

11. Exactly why Im not hooked on IPA's. Im not not a huge fan of grapefruit.

12. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I didn't like hoppy beers for a while. After getting into homebrewing and experimenting with hops I started branching out and trying any type of pale ale I could get just to see how hops can be showcased by a good pale. American pale, american IPA, english IPA, DIPA, and even triple IPA's, I have run the gammut. Now that I've been brewing my own american pale ale that I am completely in love with I find commercial examples to be lacking in what I want. They aren't as fresh, no matter what the bottle date says, as what I have in my bottttles. And let's face it, my hop profile consists of a little magnum early and a whole lot of citra and c,ascade late in the boil. So needless to say I have ruined myself, and continue to enjoy commercial examples of other styles, but am not too impressed with ipas any more. But I will say mirror pond and DBA are still among my favorite beers because of their complexity and the balance they strike. That's a lot more difficult to brew than a hop bomb.

13. dondeez21

dondeez21 Savant (255) New Jersey Dec 27, 2006

I love IPAs. My go-to style of beer.

Bitter_Echo and 19etz55 like this.
  14. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Try a Kane Head High IPA (NJ) if you can. It's great. Lagunitas IPA is also great. There are quite many around the NJ if you find the right liquor store. Joe Canal's is a great beer store (especially growlers) and Shop-Rite liquors is surprisingly good.

15. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I enjoy drinking them.

19etz55 likes this.
  16. 75% of beer I drink are IPAs.

17. I look at IPA's as the beer that resets my tasting palate. During the fall and winter I migrate to barleywines, strong ales and stouts. This time of year I am ready for something different. IPA's are perfect. They are the basis of beer to me. I get all hopped up and then get ready for summer. Fall hits and it's all over again. I do mix it up through out the year. But those are my tasting dominate cycles.

19etz55 likes this.
  18. Hooked? No. Enjoy them? Yes.

LeRose and 19etz55 like this.
  19. for my first post I will totally own up to being hooked on IPA's. it took me 30 yrs to be able to enjoy a beer and now i cant get enough. not into porters/stouts yet but im sure it will happen eventually. cheers BA!

19etz55 likes this.
  20. Looks like u stole my thunder when it comes to buying beer. Canals is my go to spot that I can waste large amounts of time browsing in. Will also check out Kane as u suggested. Thanks.

19etz55 likes this.
  21. Tut

Tut Savant (400) New York Sep 23, 2004

yawnnnn!

22. Tut

Tut Savant (400) New York Sep 23, 2004

How monotonous. How does your drinking pattern differ from that clueless guy who never drinks anything but Coors and Bud? What a boor it must be.

ThirstyFace and rocdoc1 like this.
  23. JavaNoire

JavaNoire Savant (325) Iowa Dec 4, 2010

Paraphrasing my daughter...

I would die for a goood IIPA
    but I would *KILL* for a BA stout

JMO

loafinaround and 19etz55 like this.
  24. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Savant (275) Illinois Sep 1, 2009

"I used to do a little but a little wouldn't do it so a little got more and more"

I'm chasing the Hop Dragon myself, SNPA, my gateway beer is a malt bomb, good yes but I need more.

Hops have ruined me and I love it

19etz55 likes this.
  25. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

How many MORE of these threads can there possibly be? Gotta be a couple times a month, no?? Bout as exciting as another tired macro vs. craft thread. Just speaking generally nothing against the OP...

26. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

No and frankly I never got the big deal about them either. I tend to like English IPAs better.

Tut and rocdoc1 like this.
  27. I got extremely close to purchasing an ipa glass off dfh's website last night. Only thing that turned me away was the ten dollar shipping charge. Cheers!

28. 19etz55

$10 is a lot for shipping. Cost more than the glass. Also the IPA glass looks a little unsturdy as it seems pretty narrow at the base. Can't have spillage! Maybe ck your local beer store? Looked at eBay and nothing there. Good luck searching.

29. local beer store guy says rhizing bines is in and if they get the glasses he will put one aside for me. it pays to be a beer regular (and saves me the cost of shipping!)

30. lic217

lic217 Savant (435) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

Do they sell Gandhi Bot in NJ. That is the best DIPA iI have ever had and I am drinking Lagunitas sucks right now. Although for $10 a sixer for sucks its a better value then Bot ($12 a 4)

31. 19etz55

Nice!

32. That really says something considering how good sucks is. I am not sure about bot and hadn't heard of it before. That too will go on my "grocery list" to check for next time. Thanks for the heads up on it.

33. beermeout

beermeout Disciple (65) Michigan Jun 26, 2010

Yes. Can't get enough Sucks, Hoplslam and Heady Topper lately.

34. Well help me out! What IPAs are your favorites? Perhaps I have tried them, or will try them based on your recommendation.

35. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (260) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

I find most IPAs to be homogenous, one-dimensional and uncreative. However, I love love love what I consider to be world class versions, such as Zombie Dust (might be called an APA, but still), Sucks, Flower Power, Heady Topper, Citra Ninja and Galaxy Unicorn, Hopslam, etc. These guys make up an extremely small percentage of IPAs at large though, which is probably why they end up being so sought out. I find it's much easier to score on a "blind buy" with maltier beers.

Dan114 likes this.
  36. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (430) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

I love most all beer, but I love IPA's the most!

19etz55 likes this.
  37. lic217

lic217 Savant (435) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

Its by New England Beer Company. Their recent release was in January. I am not sure when the next one is.

38. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (250) Texas Aug 16, 2010

Double IPAs and Imperial IPAs are the same style. Same style different name. Just sayin.

Is there an official Triple IPA style? I know Founders has a beer they call a Triple IPA but is there any competition category for that?

39. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Advocate (735) Illinois Dec 13, 2008

always prefer hops to sweet/bready malt, IPAs are my go-to beer.

19etz55 likes this.