1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Are you hooked on IPAs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 19etz55, Feb 15, 2013.

1. SGToliver

SGToliver Savant (325) Washington Nov 22, 2012

Never had this style before, are they good? Sounds a little dry to me.

2. mnrider

mnrider Savant (375) Connecticut May 26, 2009

3. While I enjoy varied styles IPA's are my favorites. Some I enjoy: Sculpin IPA, Blind Pig IPA, Victory Hop Devil, & Loose Cannon IPA. My favorite is Pliny the Elder but I only get that on California visits.

19etz55 likes this.
  4. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Kanes Double Overhead > Head high. Try it!

19etz55 likes this.
  5. Quite the opposite with me. I don't care for IPA's or DIPA's whatsoever. Every revered one I have tried tastes like carbonated grapefruit juice with malt mixed in. o_O

Just my personal taste but I prefer other styles like Belgian ales and stouts and really "don't get" the whole IPA craze.

Dan114 and teal like this.
  6. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Yes. Have a nice day.:D

Soloveitchik and 19etz55 like this.
  7. MenardMa

MenardMa Savant (360) Connecticut Feb 6, 2011

Same here. Not many non-IPA's interest me much these days unless they're really interesting. I do like a nice imperial stout or Barleywine once a week or so, but generally...the hops are what I crave.

8. Same here. I even started a similar thread a few weeks ago. I miss the hops when I drink other styles.

SenorHops and 19etz55 like this.
  9. Where can you get Kane's? is it only sold around the shore? Do they bottle and sell sixers? tried going to their website and it isn't really even set up... just says how they were trying to get up and running in summer 2011...

10. fox227

fox227 Advocate (565) California Nov 19, 2010

There are so many different hop and malt combinations to experience with IPAs so they generally never get boring to me. However, I am open to all styles, even ones with very little to no hop character.

19etz55 likes this.
  11. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (325) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

I cant seem to buy anything else, Browsing around Total wine and More for the better part of 30 minutes , I will come up with 5 out of 6 beers being IPA's , even if I am looking for a session beer.

19etz55 likes this.
  12. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (325) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

I have to agree. Stone is one that everyone knows about, But Bear republic makes about the best west coast IPA out there. Another great style is the dry hopped beers of Oskar blues. very unique in their flavor profile. GKnight Imerial Red is always in my fridge.

13. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Not sure where to get it. I've looked all around but can't find it. I was lucky enough to have it at the Asbury Park Beerfest.

14. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Had a Lagunitas IPA on tap the other night. Fantastic!

15. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

Yep. I range out to other styles, sure, but my core of interest, is IPA/DIPA.
    I think, as with all matters of taste, to each their own. Having said that,
    I couldn't be happier to be hooked!

Cheers!

19etz55 likes this.
  16. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Savant (485) Illinois Nov 2, 2011

Yea, The only style I seek out more would be Barleywine but since the ratio of IPA to Barleywine is 1,000,000 to 1, I typically buy more IPAs.

17. JamesMN

JamesMN Savant (370) Minnesota Jul 12, 2012

A thousand times yes.

19etz55 likes this.
  18. I just drink hop tea with a shot of graves

19. Is this a rhetorical question. Hoppiness is good for you....like antioxidants and vitamin C....

19etz55 likes this.
  20. HOP_KING

HOP_KING Aficionado (200) Illinois Jan 30, 2013

Yes, that's why I drive an hour to Munster, IN once a month.

19etz55 likes this.
  21. I appreciate IPA's but am by no means hooked on them. Sours however ....

teal likes this.
  22. Tut

Tut Savant (400) New York Sep 23, 2004

The yawn was for one dimensional, over hopped, IPA's in general. I used to like them 15 years ago when they were more balanced. These days I only like British IPA's

rocdoc1 likes this.
  23. A lot of IPAs are very flavorful for the money. Belgians are great, but pricey.

24. JPlo

JPlo Aficionado (135) Maryland Jan 23, 2013

Yes, I have fallen in love with the hops....
    May there be some addictive substance in the hops?

19etz55 likes this.
  25. You left out Alpine, how can you say IPA without them in the mix... For that matter how can you say IPA without saying ALpine

26. Beer thats what I like Hoppy, malty, guezy, smokey, soury.. Beer thats whats for dinner!

Lunch

Breakfast

inbetween snacks

Oh and the occaisional walk home... Sorry if I slured my words. I was thinkin about Beer.

27. I used to like hop bombs but now I couldn't give a shit less to be honest. I like the "east coast" style IPAs just fine though. My favorite to date is probably Burton Baton (not a traditional IPA, I know). I really don't understand the crazy one dimensional hoppy beer craze but as long as people drink what they like its ok.

19etz55 likes this.
  28. Haven't had it--gotta have it since you said so!

29. VDODSON

VDODSON Savant (310) North Dakota Feb 5, 2013

Yes, to the point its practicaly all I purchase. Stouts have never been my forte, and I find most others lack in the flavor department when compared to true hoppy IPA. I love the smell so much I use it as cologne, jk.

19etz55 likes this.
  30. Ed5388

Ed5388 Aspirant (30) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

I'm obsessed!! Have a fridge full of amazing stouts that I can't seem to want to drink cause I keep reaching for an ipa!!

19etz55 likes this.
  31. jtierney89

jtierney89 Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 15, 2011

I love my IPA's but I know a lot of my customers who will only drink pale hoppy stuff and I dont understand it. Sure there's lots of versatility in the style, but there's lots of versatility in other styles and just beer itself.

32. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Back when I first got into craft beers I didn’t like IPA’s all that much. Then I went through a phase where that’s all I wanted. Now I think I’ve “normalized” and I like them, but they’re not my favorite.
    These days I’ve found myself really enjoying the “classic” IPA’s that kind-of aren’t cool anymore. Beers like Hop Devil, 90 Minute, Titan, Stone IPA, Union Jack, etc.

19etz55 likes this.
  33. costcrew04

costcrew04 Disciple (50) California Feb 19, 2013

Stone Brewing Co.'s Ruination might be the greatest IPA I have ever had. They are a San Diego Brewery. I am not sure how national their sales force is, so I'm not sure if they are only CA distributed. If any of you have a chance to try it, get in it! If you like West Coast syle hops, this is the ultimate.

JohnQ likes this.
  34. This is truly an excellent IPA or DIPA. I keep it on hand as much as possible.

costcrew04 likes this.
  35. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

That was my daughter's favorite IPA but to me it tastes like soapy water. Everybody's taste buds are different

36. Also Stone is widely available so never fear if you find yourself on the East coast

19etz55 likes this.
  37. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (865) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I started out with IPAs/DIPAs- DFH 90 minute is what really pushed me into the craft beer movement. There are times where I really feel the true pleasure drinking an IPA, but these usually come after I expand my horizons to something else and then come back to IPAs. Recently its been stouts, and I'm looking at expanding into sours and Belgian ales. But I just had a bottle of Pliny and it was sublime. It's going to always be my "first love" so to speak, and I will always come back to a good IPA/DIPA, especially if I can trade for Pliny or Heady Topper.

19etz55 likes this.
  38. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

Yes I didn't even realize it but I only had IPAs in my fridge for a few weeks. Just bought a bunch of non-IPAs to make up for it.

19etz55 likes this.
  39. Sixam2

Sixam2 Aficionado (110) Washington Feb 19, 2013

I'm nervous that I've limited my beer drinking to IPA's only, but I'm not satisfied drinking a beer that isn't hopped out.. It's ridiculous how much hops I add to my home brew, and forget about not dry hopping.. Lol

40. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Yes.

19etz55 likes this.