1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

ARIZONA: BIG SKY night at Flanny's featuring 2010/2012 Ivan The Terrible

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by luwak, Jan 17, 2013.

1. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

yemenmocha likes this.
  2. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Thanks for sharing.
  3. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Ivan the Terrible and only 1 response? Wish Big Sky would bring some of that sweet nectar to Austin...
    yemenmocha likes this.
  4. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (310) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

Dang! Wish I would have know much sooner.
  5. luwak

So this was pretty great actually.

I got there at 10 PM expecting only dregs of the more common beers to be left, but was able to get Ivan 2012 Ivan 2010 Old Blue Hair 2010, Olde Blue hair 2012, as well as two years of the Sasion (11 percent!...) and the double of the winter (winter is called Powder Hound, he called the double Hound Dog) and there were like 6 other beers.

Literally every keg was still going except the IPA (freakin 'Arizona...we never pass up a chance to pass up a chance at something new or different ...thinking of all the people who walked in not knowing it was a special brewery take over and glance at the TWO PAGE list of beers with descriptions offered to every patron and then order "the ipa")

In fact, based on an untapped search it seems like EVERYTHING (except the aforementioned IPA) was still available the next day. There's still some of some of the beers even now.

As the hours rolled on the folks from World Class beverages who were hanging with the Big Sky people were kind enough to share The Bruery's Oude Tart and 5 Golden Rings...quite a nice night indeed.

Flanny's is doing a second round of cask only special beers from Colorado breweries during Thursday of AZ Beer week. It was, i think the best event last year (and i went to about 13 events). i'd look into if i were y'all.
  6. yemenmocha

yeah, there's a big "buy local" thing going on. I don't get it either. Arizona is SPOILED when it comes to imported regional craft.
    lokieman likes this.
  7. 3frog

3frog Aficionado (245) Arizona May 13, 2006

I went to Flanny's friday (I'm not into crowds), and most of it was still on--just the 2012 Old Bluehair and Ivan the T were gone, that I could tell*, and I think Powderhound or it's stronger sibling kicked while I was there.

By the time I got to it, something had gone wrong with the Ivan. It smelled sour and tasted of lemon. I was about to send it back, when my buddy who likes sours showed-up. He does Not like stouts, but he thought it was great, so it worked out. I feel sorry for the next people though.
    I liked the Cowboy Coffee Porter the best.

*the server had nary a clue when I asked what was still on, even though the taps were 10 ft away. I had to point out where the Ivan tap was. But it was kind of a rare crappy night at Flanny's anyway. Surprisingly, Big John was rather rude to me, out of the blue, which I'd never encountered before, though friends claim to have had issues in the past.
  8. yemenmocha

I've had some of those experiences with the owners & staff too, service-wise. Sadly, I just remind myself it isn't as bad as some other places in town and quietly enjoy my pint.
  9. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Savant (470) Arizona Dec 20, 2011

I had a great time as well. I got there around 9 and almost every seat was filled and as the night went on, I was shocked at how many people were taking off and how everything was still available. I guess I have to factor in that these are held on Thursdays but that works for me (no work Fridays).
  10. luwak

This was NOT typical for a Flanny's event. Usually it is packed as hell right at 630 and many of the better beers are gone by 930.