1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

armand 4 series - where are they now

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by hooliganlife, Feb 25, 2013.

1. I have found Lente to have fall off a lot since fresh. It's been a while since I have had the others. Are are they doing ? Are any improving? Did many of us jump on the hype train too early?

2. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I had some of them (I think Zomer and Lente) recently and they were still excellent examples of 3F geuze. I don't think they've fallen off.
    Yes. Maybe I'm crazy, but I never thought any of them were significantly better than standard OGV (they're all clearly better than similar-age OG).

3. When lente was fresh last spring, it blew my mind. Basically a 5.0 rating. Juicy fresh fruit and gueuze character. Had one a year later, it seemed muted and dull.

4. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Lente and zomer are still magnificent and will be for some time. Zomer has improved IMO since release.

5. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Herfst is drinking fucking great right now. Might end up being the best one.

Thorpe429 likes this.
  6. i believe this, when i first had herfst, i said right away this one had the greatest potential to go far. the mineral character was astonishing.

7. I had all 4 at the end of December and they were all delicious. I didn't notice a decline in any of them.

GRG1313 likes this.
  8. Ditto this, although I had them a bit further back in August. Based on my experience with other 3F Geuzes, I can't imagine any of these will be anything less than spectacular for years, if not decades, to come. I've got a Lente marked for my deathbed.

OtisCampbell and callmemickey like this.
  9. Nah, I don't think so. Are there batches of the regular Oude Geuze sitting in peoples' cellars that might taste better in five years than Lente will? Absolutely. Sometimes we all put too much stock on "special blends" at the expense of the regular offerings, but that shouldn't take away from the fact that the Armand 4's are fantastic. That said, I only have three each of the Armand 4's left, but have dozens and dozens of the regular geuze... better bang for my buck.

10. This.

And agree on Lente. Young it sang. Now it's "merely" very good.

11. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (645) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

Ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Thorpe429 likes this.
  12. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (645) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

I sampled a Lente this past weekend and it was still fantastic.

It's just like any lambic/gueuze, it's going to develop over time. Freshly bottled 3F OG taste very young with more of an acidic bite than the 3yr old bottles.

13. Cambrinus

Cambrinus Disciple (50) France Mar 1, 2013

Lente improve with some years