1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Arrogant Bastard Clone. . .Sort Of

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Steve_0, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Steve_0

Steve_0 Savant (265) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

Ok guys, I want to brew an arrogant bastard-type beer or India Red Ale, if you will for the holidays. It doesn’t have to be an exact replica, just want it to be somewhat similar, or in the same style. I have done a little research and found/came-up with a couple recipes.

Please take a look and let me know what you would change for each of them and which one you think would be best. Also, I am an extract brewer (haven’t made the jump to AG) and all of the recipes will be dry-hopped after primary fermentation for 7-14 days. Here they are:

Recipe 1
    Batch Size: 5 gal
    OG: 1.080
    FG: 1.018
    9lbs Briess Golden Light DME (90%) - 4lbs early, 5lbs late addition
    1.5 lb Special B (10%)
    1 oz Chinook (60)
    1 oz Chinook (30)
    1 oz Chinook (15)
    1 oz Chinook (flameout)
    2 units Irish Ale Yeast
    1 Whirfloc tablet
    Recipe 2
    Batch Size: 5 gal
    OG: 1.080
    FG: 1.020
    3.00 lb Amber D.M.E.
    0.50 lb Belgian Special "B"
    0.50 lb Belgian aromatic malt
    0.50 lb Belgian biscuit
    0.50 lb CaraMunich
    5.00 lb Light D.M.E.
    0.30 lb Pale Chocolate
    1.00 oz Chinook(75 minutes)
    1.50 oz Chinook(45 minutes)
    1.00 oz Chinook(20 Minutes)
    1.00 oz Chinook(flameout)
    2 units Irish Ale Yeast
    1 Whirfloc tablet
    Probably going to dry-hop with Simcoe, as I have quite a bit leftover from a previous brew. Let me know what you guys think or what you would change.
    Cheers!

2. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

In my book from stone they said that arrogant bastard was basically a test batch of their regular pale ale that they screwed up and got too many ingredients for the size batch. So pale ale on steroids. So if you're really looking for a clone... I don't have the book in front of me, but I'm sure it's google-able if there's a clone available.

That being said, I think I like the second one better, but I base this on not a whole lot of concrete experience judging recipes that I haven't tried. :rolleyes:

3. I would def go with the first one. I reckon it'll get you much closer to AB than the second. Should be awesome, but why the irish yeast?

4. Steve_0

Steve_0 Savant (265) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

I have used it before with Red ales and seems to add a light fruitiness to my darker brews which, in my past experience, has added a nice level of complexity to the light roast and bitterness.

5. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

You might want to listen to the "Can You Brew It?" shows dedicated to cloning AB. They made several attempts at it, and I dunno if they finally succeeded, but you'd probably pick up some good tips either way. (http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/891) Wish I could recall details, but I can't. All I remember is that I think they used an ungodly amount of Special B.

Stone has been very close lipped about AB, even though they've freely given out recipes for pretty much everything else they do. AlCapone is correct in saying that in their recent book they relate the story that AB was the result of a mistake, but IIRC that's all they say about it, so it doesn't tell you much. My guess is that it is not merely a doubling or tripling of a pale, but probably depends on a ton of specialty grains, used in an odd combination, which is why they don't want to put it out there. Can't blame 'em. I'm sure they make a lot of money off AB.

FWIW, one of the first beers I ever made was the Austin Homebrewing AB clone. It did not taste like AB (which is no surprise, given all the mistakes I probably made) but it was damn good. Or so I thought back then.

6. Hmm, interesting.

I'd go with a WLP007, WLP013, or Nottingham base on my experiences with them, but I haven't used Irish so... cool :)

EDIT: I'd go with the above based on your desire for " a light fruitiness ... a nice level of complexity to the light roast and bitterness"

7. I remember hearing many times that Stone house yeast is the london ale strain (Wyeast 1028, WLP013). Also, some years a go (2009?) i tried to clone AB. the results where bad but that was more related to my inexperience as a brewer. The all chinook plus lots of very dark crystal (120 or special B) was the more common approach and one that many reported as getting pretty close. There was some discussions I remember about chinook not really being the hops used but actually zeus (or CTZ i guess).

8. Pretty sure Arrogant bastard is single hopped with Chinook and 90% 2-row, 10% special B.

koopa likes this.
  9. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

Yes I got a chance to check the book and there's no specific recipe for AB available there. Even on their website they are pretty tight lipped about AB and double bastard. Damn fine beers though, if anyone has a sure-fired clone, do tell. :cool:

10. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (705) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Stone uses something close to WLP007. This is the yeast that Can You Brew It show has recommended for the Stone Beers they brewed (Old Guardian, Leviathan, Arrogant Bastard). My gut feeling is that an Irish Ale yeast as per the OP could create too much diacetyl and esters.

11. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (415) Utah May 2, 2006

The "Can You Brew It?" crew have made several attempts at cloning AB. I believe that they came the closest the second time around. One should listen to that show if one wants to give it a try. IIRC, they used American 2 Row plus 1 lb of Special B, all Chinook hops, and WLP007 (which Stone recommends for practically all of their Beers). I believe that the OG is close to 1.070 (as the ABV is 7.2%). Here is the Brewmasters Warehouse version.

12. tngolfer

tngolfer Aficionado (200) Tennessee Feb 16, 2012

+1. I remember the second attempt being closest, or at least the one they compared 3 and 4 to. You can download MP3s of the shows off The Brewing Network's website.

13. tngolfer

tngolfer Aficionado (200) Tennessee Feb 16, 2012

As an engineer, my motto is KISS - keep it simple stupid. I vote for Recipe 1.