1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"Arsenic In Beer May Come From Widely Used Filtering Process"

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by JohnSnowNW, Apr 9, 2013.

1. gcamparone and SatlyMalty like this.
  2. Reneejane

Reneejane Savant (415) Illinois Jan 15, 2004

Well, this is interesting, and timely. I was planning on trying Super_Kleer in a homebrew for the first time, and given that arsenic is in uncontrolled amts in the diatomacious earth, I am re-considering that decision, carefully. Much appreciated.
  3. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

Dont think its a reason to stop filtering but change the kind of filtering used many people think filtered vs unfiltered beers taste different and I agree but theres centerfuges and other types of filters that dont use arsenic.
  4. If this were a real problem then a lot of us would be dead.
  5. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

That might explain Mikkeller 1000 IBU
  6. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (300) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

Its the same type of arsenic found in apple seeds, you would need A TON of it to casue damage
    rauchfest likes this.
  7. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Don't even think about removing the arsenic! I like my beers the way they are, dammit.
    MilkManX, 5thOhio and BeastLU like this.
  8. You know what has lots of arsenic (dependent on the soil in which it is grown) . . . Rice!
  9. THEcorky

THEcorky Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 9, 2011

I like my arsenic on the side.
    Kuemmelbrau likes this.
  10. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Clear your beer with better brewing techniques, leave it cloudy if you can't. It is more healthy and tasty unfiltered, no doubt about that.
    Kuemmelbrau and mh007 like this.
  11. Tell me about it. Had to curtail the rice cereal we gave our son when the article about that came out.
  12. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

I think brewers were more concerned about filtering ability as well as the iron content of DE. I know a lot of other breweries have switched to perlite because DE is carcinogenic when inhaled.
  13. I'll take mine unfiltered, please. Not because of the arsenic, but because I like it cloudy. ;)
    rlcoffey likes this.
  14. As Voltaire (or somebody) said about coffee, "They say it's a slow poison and that must be true. I've been drinking it for 20 years and I'm not dead yet."
  15. Barrel aged arsenic for me thanks
  16. BA Arsenic or GTFO
  17. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

Arsenic is an element. There arent "types" of arsenic. There is only one stable isotope of Arsenic, so that wouldnt even be a difference.
  18. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

Cheers for Bell's and any other breweries that dont filter!

Is Bell's the largest of the unfiltered breweries?
  19. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

Filter isn't a bad thing. Some styles, you want the beer to bright. I hate seeing breweries pushing out IPAs in 10 days and it's cloudy as crap, and then playing up the fact that they don't filter it. If you are curious, you need to contact the brewery to see how they filter.

I know some breweries use centrifuges and plate and frame(cellulose) filters.

I think you're thinking of a cyanide compound, not arsenic.

Well, the article doesn't say, only that it contains arsenic. Unfortunately, arsenic can form different molecules and chemical compounds with other elements. The organic arsenic that is found in apple juice is dimethylarsinic acid and/or monomethylarsinic acid(usually a contamination from pesticides). Those compounds do contain arsenic.
    RichardMNixon likes this.
  20. A beer and a Cliff bar mmm good arsenic.
  21. It says the beers contained up to about twice the level allowed in water. That means one beer has as much arsenic as two glasses of water. I wouldn't worry about it.
  22. epk

epk Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 10, 2008

"But people don't drink as much beer as they do water (or they shouldn't)..."

Crap.
  23. It appears that Sierra Nevada no longer filters their beers:

“When Steve Dressler of Sierra Nevada spoke at Hop Union’s Hop School he said they had stepped away from filtering that it tends to strip flavors.”

Cheers!
  24. Everyone better stop drinking filtered beers...:rolleyes: