1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Article About Pliny the Younger

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by LeRose, Feb 14, 2013.

1. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

2. Have I had DIPAs with more flavor and more aroma, yes. Have I had a better crafted DIPA? NO.

I'm not convinced there's a brewery out there that showcases a actual hop bud better than Russian River.

bstyle likes this.
  3. kevanb

kevanb Advocate (680) Illinois Apr 4, 2011

People always freak out about waiting in line for PtY and then complaining that it didn't make them have nine simultaneous orgasms and making them millionaires in the process. The fact is that it's a damn good beer and the whole waiting in line is part of the experience. Meeting new people, enjoying the California sunshine, having a good time and just getting excited about craft beer is just as worth it as taking that first sip of the beer. It's worth the trip from Chicago to Santa Rosa not because of one beer, but because of the experience as a whole.

4. Couldn't have said it any better.

5. I get the camraderie of waiting in lines but my biggest problem right now with waiting in ANY line for ANYTHING is that there are so many more things I can do instead of waiting in a line. Although I consider myself a tortoise and try to take my time doing things so that I do them right, standing in line is slothful. Perhaps when I retire and am looking to kill some time, waiting in lines will be a welcome activity and I would like to try PtY some day. Geezer road trip, I guess.

arniepnminne and teal like this.
  6. Some of my friends think that I was crazy/stupid to drive 480 miles up to Russian River and wait in line for hours. I then asked them what they did that day, and more or less, they sat on their asses watching behind the scenes with Miley Cyrus on VH1. Even though my first sip of PtY didn't take me on a DMT enduced trip to Xanadu, the trip, the wait, the anticipation, the friends made... it was all worth it. (And at the end of the day, it was a pretty damn good beer, too.)

7. I waited 8.5 hours last saturday. Flew 2400 miles each way in a 3 day weekend and it was still awesome and worth it. While we waited in line we made some friends with the people around us. There is a huge sense of camaraderie among the revelers of PtY. We took many trips to the sweet spot to wet our appetites as we waited. Many did not make it the full journey. Would I do this again? Probably not. Did I have an unbelievable time? Absolutely. My friend who lives in San Jose who I stayed with isnt even a huge IPA/DIPA/TIPA fan but he even recognized how awesome it was. Just tasting Elder next to younger you can recognize the brilliance. Its goddamn delicious. My top 3 DIPA/TIPAs are Heady, Younger, and Citra DIPA. All are amazing in their own ways.

8. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

I cannot think of another beer I'd wait in line for that PtY. I'd wait an hour for a sample size. Some day.....

9. Somebody gets it. Nice post, Thx!

10. Eh... When you're here it's different. Awesome beer, but when la weekly puts out a list of all of the announced pty "events" it just turns me off. Bigger lines and more headaches this year than ever. Guarantee it. Over the last 5 years its gone from mellow hangout of 12 people who knew what they were drinking and were enjoying $7 pints of it to a total shitshow.

11. grrrah

grrrah Savant (385) California Sep 21, 2009

I get it. It becomes available much closer to me, but I still try to make it up the brewery at least once each year. But 8.5 hours? holy moly. I understand the camaraderie and stuff, but if you can afford to fly out for it, make it a 3-day weekend and come on one of the mondays. You can still build that camaraderie while waiting 45 minutes, then spend an extra hour on the patio, then spend 6 hours enjoying the rest of the beautiful area.

Spend another day enjoying other parts of SF beer week. It has been (still is) an awesome week of beer so far.

12. I waited in line for a non-related event that happened to have PTY on tap. It's a great beer for sure, but not something I would wait in line for again.

13. pjs234

pjs234 Advocate (670) Connecticut Jun 29, 2008

Completely agree with you about waiting in lines. They are just not for me... I tend to avoid restaurants that have long waits and no call ahead programs, won't wait in long lines for concert or sports tickets, and don't really see myself waiting in a long line for beer. There are just too many other good things in life to be doing other than waiting for something. I am sure the beer is great, but if I put a dollar value to my time it just doesn't make sense to stand in line for extended periods of time....