1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Article on Yuengling owner

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beertunes, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

2. <- waiting for the inevitable press release from The Brewers' Association refuting Bloomberg's claim that Yuengling is a craft brewer.

Redrover likes this.
  3. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I used to drink Yuengling all the time. Now that I'm all beer snobby I wonder what I would think of it now. o_O

utopiajane likes this.
  4. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

The article says, "Associates who order wine or cocktails are viewed with suspicion. We’re in the beer business, so that’s what I support,” and goes on to talk about beer wholesale owners -- I don't think he's suspicious of anyone drinking wine or cocktails, just his employees and those who sell beer.

I don't necessarily agree with his "suspicion," I can see working at a factory that processes chicken and not wanting to eat chicken all the time.

5. Thanks for posting that link. I really enjoyed reading that article!

I live local to Yuengling and in the past (20ish years ago) I have consumed my fair share of Yuengling beers.

It is of interest that the writer chose the verbiage of “country’s best-selling craft beer brand ..” I am sure that there will be discussion concerning this particularly in light of the recent blacklist that the Brewers Association made (that is discussed on a thread in the Beer News forum).

In the other thread there is a quote from Sam Calagione of Dogfishead: “The Brewers Association has defined a craft brewery but we have not defined craft beer.” So according to the Brewers Association, Yuengling is not a craft brewery but I suppose it could be argued that they can produce craft beer? I personally do not view the Yuengling beers as being craft beer but they do have some ‘interesting’ beers in their lineup:

· Yuengling Porter: an American Porter (some folks would call this a Pennsylvania Porter). I drink this beer from time to time. It is not a favorite American Porter of mine (I really, really like Founders Porter) but I would classify this beer as being a good beer.
    · Lord Chesterfield Ale: Beer Advocate classifies this as an American Pale Ale. This beer tastes like a Blonde Ale to me. I have a bottle of this beer in my basement to be enjoyed during the holidays.
    · Back & Tan: this beer is a Black & Tan. I could only guess on how many barrels of this beer I consumed during the late 80’s/early 90’s. I haven’t had one of these in years
    · Traditional Lager: Yuengling’s flagship beer; an American Amber Adjunct Lager. I enjoy a Lager from time to time; it is certainly more enjoyable to drink than a BMC beer.
    · Etc.

A Dick Yuengling quote from the article: “People pick up our products today because they are tasteful and they have character.” In the context of the BMC type beer market I think that this is an accurate statement. There is no doubt in my mind that Yuengling produces beers that are more characterful then the BMC type beers and while I am not a large consumer of Yuengling beer I wish Yuengling Brewery continued success!

Cheers!

utopiajane, cello and creepinjeeper like this.
  6. pghlee

pghlee Savant (255) Georgia Feb 24, 2006

Nice read, thanks

7. alexipa

alexipa Savant (420) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

I Love his view of beer versus wine and not beer A versus beer B. Beer is beer, I love it all and all of it has a place.

..I don't like some of the companies that make beer, however.

denver10, Providence and beertunes like this.
  8. Great write up. A great focused businessman, who cares about his family name and what it stands for in the market place.
    I've consumed more than my fair share of Lager, Lord Chesterfield (Chettie) and Black & Tan the past few years. Pottsville is about an hours drive from where I live and I took the tour of the brewery many years ago. Nothing wrong with their line of brews at all, especially for the price.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  9. mweso2000

mweso2000 Savant (335) Georgia Apr 10, 2010

When I was in college (96) I won my fraternity's social chair by promising to buy Yuengling kegs over Natty Light, Busch Light, or The Beast. Lager is still my go to "cheap" beer.

10. chase2634

chase2634 Savant (315) Pennsylvania Nov 10, 2009

Amen to this!

11. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

I understand the sentiment, but DY isn't talking so much about a brand side as much as he's separating choice of indulgence -- he even talks about drinking Sam Adams, but I guess he wouldn't look twice at Jack Daniels.

12. I am very thankful to still have Yuengling around and I'm glad they're doing well. I dont drink it much anymore, but I grew up on the stuff and whenever I'm at a dive bar or wedding with few options it is the obvious go to beer. The occassional cold, fresh lager still tastes pretty good to me.

creepinjeeper, cello and JackHorzempa like this.
  13. lionking

lionking Savant (320) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2006

Saw this online back in Dec. Quite a success from where he started. Started with a broken down, failing brewery, now has 3 breweries and looking at a 4th. I tend to buy bottles of crafts but usually my keg is Yuengling product. Bock should be arriving soon. Cheaper than just about anything other than Genny or PBR. And much better. DY refers to his beers as craft even back in the 90s in interviews. Around here, there were about the only brewery with a portfolio a non light lager beers back then. The places i remember had Sam Adams, Petes or Yuengling. Black N Tan was quiet a hit back in the 90s,I remember buying it for a guy in NJ a few times when Yuengling pulled back distribution. My only complaint is they gave up returnables a few yrs back

14. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (550) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

I was pretty happy when Yuengling came to Ohio(no more trips to PA just for an excuse to buy it) & I think their stuff is solid for that wonderfully right price, right in the face of the big guys. They're not blazing trails, but providing a nice selection of styles year round. The Porter is great, great taste and body for the price, Lord Chesterfield's got a nice bite for an ale, I liked the Oktoberfest, the Bock is nice(Genesee's still the best cheap Bock!), Black N Tan is ok, though I prefer to blend my own & Yuengling is a solid sessionable alternative to the usual corporates & honestly far and away the least skunky/funky thing ever in a GREEN bottle, now that takes some doing. I'd buy Yuengling product all day every day over that overpriced pretender Leinenkugel, always an underwhelming LET DOWN...

creepinjeeper likes this.
  15. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Good read. I like how he thinks

16. “We put ‘American-owned, family operated’ right on the case. And you know what? It means something to some consumers,”

I wish he were a member of these boards.

Awesome read, thanks.

17. Old thread, I know, but I just recently discovered Yuengling while visiting a friend in Nashville. While checking out the various clubs downtown, he insisted on buying, and it was Bud Light Platinum. By the second beer, told him to please ask for a Yuengling for me. He brought it back. It has to be the best AAL out there, with a flavor that is not just tolerable, but quite enjoyable. He remembered that I liked it so much, he brought me a case when he visited my girlfriend and I for Christmas.
    It's a beer that I wish was around in my area back in my younger days, before I gave up on beer (for a while). Reading this thread and the article, I can also appreciate what the Yuengling family stands for. Yes, I consider them craft. Thanks for posting it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.