1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Artist sues Yuengling in Oktoberfest label dispute

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by dgs, Aug 4, 2012.

1. dgs

dgs Aficionado (195) Pennsylvania Jul 18, 2005

Full-story: http://www.mcall.com/news/nationwor...fest-label-lawsuit-2-20120801,0,6575609.story
  2. TCaldwell

TCaldwell Aficionado (115) Jul 30, 2012

I think this guy is just out to get money since he doesn't work for Yuengling anymore. Yuengling for the most part has kept its labels pretty simple for most of its beers. My family has been drinking this beer for as long as anyone can remember and the label style hasn't changed. You have your tradition eagle on the barrel, the script Yuengling signature logo, the since 1829. If someone asked 10 people to make up a label for Yuengling Oktoberfest, I feel most people who have seen there beer would have very similar designs. This guy is just mad that Yuengling has desided to go with an in house designer and its not him.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  3. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

4. Well, for me, the Yuengling labels looked like this when I started drinking it in the 1970's ("Black & Tan" and "Traditional Lager" of course, didn't exist at the time, since they wouldn't be created until the 1980's).

No "script" logo, rectangular save for oval LCA, and eagle/barrel emblem only on their discount Old German brand.

[​IMG]
    fuzzylogic, Duff27 and TCaldwell like this.
  5. TCaldwell

Even so the simplicity of the labels producduced by Yuengling could easliy be created in more than one persons mind/design. Thanks for that post of that old bottles I've never seen most of those labels.
  6. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Spoken like a true non-graphic artist.*

*Apologies if you are, indeed, a graphic designer -- but then I add: shame on you.
  7. steveh

From the article above:
    A new seasonal beer?
  8. Boys and girls - just because the artist has sued Yuengling doesn't mean that he is correct or is incorrect. He has just convinced an attorney that his case has merit. A judge will decide whether the artist is due any payment.
  9. TCaldwell

Every good graphic designer knows a simple logo that a consumer can recognize is the best design, exspecially one that is known for a traditional look that represents the longevity of a great American company . If you think that know on has ever taken an idea from someone changed it and designed something of there own you are clearly blind to the manufacturing of the world.
  10. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (610) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Without seeing his proposed design, one can't really suggest one way or the other.

But if his case hinges on:
    "Both D'Addario's and Yuengling's version use the familiar "Yuengling" script and eagle logos and use an old English-style font for the word Oktoberfest."​

....my guess is that he'd lose. Yuengling most likely own's their own logo and the eagle artwork on their current labels, and if using "Old English-style" font for the work Oktoberfest is his design, he'd be rich, considering almost every Oktoberfest beer label uses that same font-style.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Oktoberfest beer logo&hl=en&tbm=isch
    Dine likes this.
  11. steveh

This is more true than anything else previously stated.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  12. steveh

In the graphic design field we call that plagiarism -- it's about as low as you can go.
  13. TCaldwell

Agreed, but sadly happens everyday and I doubt he will win this case on the count of plagiarism
  14. If this graphic designer ends up winning, it wouldn't surprise me if the Yuengling organization was just trying to avoid putting money into the quality of their product; in this case - a label. I think there is a fine line between a frugal brewer and just being cheap by ripping off someone else’s work.
  15. I dont see the designer winning the case. He doesnt own the brand. Yuengling's sticking to their branding style and the font relates to the beer style's heritage. They dont have many options to explore with such a simple and classic look. Especially if they are following an established style guide.
  16. epk

epk Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 10, 2008

17. 1. If Yuengling doesn't own copyright to its labels (as the plaintiff's attorney contends), and the GA does, Yuengling could be in trouble.

2. Don't freelance artists work under contract (independent contractor), and was there an actual contract in existence for this work?

3. The claim is that this artist did forge the Yuengling brand and image. If this is proven and true, in conjunction with copyright ownership, well, refer back to the conclusion in point #1.
  18. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

Relatively new sorta kinda. They released it keg only last year to a few bars around philly, but I don't think it existed in it's current incarnation before that.
  19. Lets all face it - Yuengling is a brewing corporation that brews the cheapest beer it possibly can. Enough said. They might as well be In-Bev.
  20. steveh

Except that there are InBev-owned breweries that make some good beer.
  21. steveh

I guess I was under the impression that Yueng had made an Oktoberfest longer than that.