1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

At the Risk of Being a Heretic...

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by ontherocks, Dec 21, 2012.

1. When money is real tight, is Mother Earth Silent Night worth $20 per bottle?
  2. when money is real tight, is any beer worth $20 per bottle?
    bryanole27, Mavajo, HighWine and 14 others like this.
  3. If things were actually tight, you wouldn't be asking that question. Snug perhaps?

Personally, I like it a lot, but have only had it on draft. $15? Yes. 17? Maybe. 20? I just don't know.
  4. Yeah, it's not worth the coin if things are "tight" or "snug". You can get better value in a stout by the 4pk/bomber and be just as happy. Gotta say no sometimes.
  5. Of course not. There's too much quality stuff for a hell of a lot cheaper. And I like Silent Night, but I haven't purchased a bottle since the first year. $20 a bomber is transcendent beer territory, not "very good beer" territory.
  6. Thats a relative question......is it worth giving up meals for, no......is it worth cutting into your beer budget and drinking pbr for a week in order to get this beer, yes.
  7. Grab an event horizon and a happy meal with that $20 :)
  8. Under no circumstances is Silent Night worth $20. All of their beers are overpriced.
  9. Just buy Big Bad Baptist at $11 and thank me later.
  10. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Savant (405) Georgia Sep 15, 2007

I assume the OP found Silent Night here in GA since we get their products. We do not get Epic here unfortunately.

Joe, I do not think it is even remotely worth $20 a bottle. We get too many better beers (for my tastes at least) here for me to justify that price for it. If it were $11-13 I might would buy another one.
    Mavajo likes this.
  11. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Worth a shot if you've never had it before.
  12. i just picked up a bottle and all this negativity about doesnt make me happy but I think it will still be a very enjoyable brew i might sit on it for a while and let it get a little age probably will get better
  13. nc41

The negativity was about the 20 buck price tag not the brew, if it was 12 like EH guys would be all over it.
  14. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (800) Florida Feb 27, 2005

Lets put it this way: Westy 12 sold for $85 for six beers AND two glasses. Assuming the glasses are at most worth $5 each, the beers cost $75. 6 beers at $13 is $72. So the "Best Beer in the World" is $13 for 11oz, or slightly more than $1 per oz. if Silent Night is $20 for 22oz, (which means Westy 12 22oz bottle is $26 for 22oz) or slightly less than $1 an oz, do you think the two equate? I think neither one are worth the price tag.
    Uwftke26 likes this.
  15. Unlike Silent Night, there aren't multiple beers of the same style that are better, made in the same state, for AT MOST the same price.
  16. Exactly. Doesn't mean neither beer is quality, just means at some point the price becomes obscene and laughable.
  17. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

A few things here:

Silent Night is a 750, not a bomber, so it's not that much more expensive per ounce than EvHo.
    I'm not for sure where people are finding $12 EvHo, but I've never seen it for cheaper than $15 since the 2010 version. It's $15 at the brewery.
    For SN, I generally see it for $18, though have seen it for as low as $14.
    In terms of quality, it's a good bbal stout. Is it worth the price for the bottle? Eh. It's good enough that I've not felt ripped off by it, but not good enough to buy multiple bottles at that price. I've seen it on tap several places as well, though, so that's a much cheaper alternative (Funny story--the first year SN came out, I bought a bottle for $20 at Bruisin' and then walked down the street to Barley's to find it on tap for $4 per 10oz pour).

Like EvHo, SN changes a bit every year. I've had both every year since 2010 and I would rank them as such:
    2010 EvHo > 2010 SN
    2011 EvHo < 2011 SN
    2012 EvHo = 2012 SN
  18. nc41

I paid $13 bucks for EH at Bestway, SN $18 give. SN is a much bigger bottle so some of the cost is negated, not enough to worry about IMO. SN IMO is a great BA Stout, who's going to argue a few prorated bucks on two great beers..
  19. ran across a BBA stout from Catawba Valley on draft last night....really, really good stuff..
  20. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

Catawba makes a lot of really great draft-only beers, from funky saisons to fruity sours to bbal aged stuff. If they started bottling some of these beers, I think they could become one of the most sought-after breweries in the SE.
    marine1975 likes this.
  21. Agreed, I have met one of their brewers a couple of times (Todd) and am a fan of the beers and the people that make em.
  22. A 750is 3 oz larger than a bomber. Not sure I would call that "much bigger". I wouldn't put SN anywhere near EH in terms of quality and given the price difference I think SN has earned a chuckle or two. Especially given how overpriced their regular lineup is. TW sold EH for $11.50 this year.
    beerFool28607 likes this.
  23. We had this discussion at ORF. I think I said i would arguably pay somewhere around $13-15 dollars. 20 is just too high, so I dont buy it anymore.
    beerFool28607 and Bung like this.
  24. Forgive me - I have been sick for the last few days, so my thought processes are screwed up - I have forgotten what EvHo is.

BTW, I have gotten over my initial longing for Silent Night. If there are still any bottles floating around - if my January paycheck is larger - I may pick one up, then.
  25. I don't think we have Big Bad Baptist in Atlanta.
  26. OHB Event Horizon
  27. Olde Hickory Event Horizon is something that I will probably not be seeing in Atlanta. How much does it run in NC?

Though I knew of Mother Earth being here, I didn't expect her to send Silent Night for the first Christmas season in GA.
  28. Event Horizon runs from $13 - $15 and is worth every penny!
  29. I prefer EH, Dragon's Milk or a whole bunch of other barrel-aged stouts that are less than $20/bomber.
    Uwftke26 likes this.
  30. DawgPhan

DawgPhan Aficionado (120) Georgia Mar 23, 2012

@ $20 I think it will sit for a while. way too great stouts sitting on the shelves for less money.
  31. Buying this beer at the brewery is $16, which I feel is reasonable... but still enough to agitate me, haha. Is it a good beer? Hell yes. Is a $20 price tag silly? Hell yes. I haven't been fortunate enough to try Event Horizon, yet... but it seems like this is the better deal.

However, as I live in Kinston, I'm forced to say Go Mother Earth. :D