1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

At wig and pen........ What are you drinking?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by mulder1010, Jul 18, 2012.

1. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

The judges are still old codgers
    RIS 10%
    Good stuff

2. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

That's wetting my whistle too...definitely good stuff!

3. mulder1010

Wow two sour beers on tap to boot

4. are you buggers down there right now?
    half your luck......

5. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

I heard they are selling the place up?

6. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

What a coincidence...I was at the wig and pen today as well

awesome place, best aussie brewpub I've been to by lightyears

they had an American Mild, two Pales (one with Nelson/Galaxy the other with Amarillo/CCC hops etc.), a Coffee Porter, IPA, DIPA, Barleywine, Imperial Stout, Tripel, Smoked Brett Weizen and Spiced Ale all on tap there, and they brewed them all in-house.

Was particularly taken aback by the Spiced Ale, randalised with truffles, vanilla etc. Unique and delicious.

7. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

Pricks!!! I know it's normally me that gets to gloat but dammit. I'm missing out on RIS and Smoked Brett Weizen.

8. dgilks

Yep. Unfortunately, the building they are in is going to be torn down at some stage and the owner wants to retire. The asking price, however, is quite high. No one quite knows what will happen but, yes, it is for sale.

9. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

You were kinda there...I saw at least 2 photos of you inside:)

10. dgilks

How true.

11. mulder1010

Owner said another year at least there and at least hinted he was close to a new location.

Hey, you are in Europe with gueze in your hotel room;)

12. gulden

gulden Aficionado (180) Australia Mar 20, 2011

nothing this week so far, but looking forward to some more Mikkeller Single Hops tomorrow night.

Also have some Thornbridge and some Red Hill Imperial Stout to have at some point too.

13. dgilks

At the Wig now, yay! The RIS is still good but not as spectacular as last year's. It's almost a little thin and less sweet than previously. Almost Wild Thing-esque and, of course, still better than most Australian RIS.

14. dgilks

Not really liking the Smoked Brett Weizen, the Brett is all hidden which defeats the purpose. The Olde Spiced Ale though is the best it's ever been. Fantastically spiced, chocolatey, sweet and full of the cumquats in the Randall. Mmmmmm.

15. I managed to find some pretty tasty Cascade Kriek as well as some awesome Goose Island and Allagash sours while I was there. It's very easy to find good IPA's at any bar or beer store in NYC.

16. dgilks

I think you got the wrong thread as I'd love to know where you found the Cascade Kriek in Canberra.

17. Right you are. Wrong thread!