Athens OH- Decent bottle shop?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Treyliff, Sep 9, 2013.

1. I didnt see much in the 'places' so im asking here.
    I'm driving up to Athens this weekend for the Marshall/Ohio game and was wondering if there are any decent places to pick up some local stuff (Fatheads, Columbus, etc)

Jackie O's will of course be my first stop Saturday afternoon. Are their canned/bottled beers available for purchase around town also?

Thanks for any input

2. ddedhed

ddedhed Savant (410) Ohio Dec 4, 2012

I was in Athens for the last Jackie O's release and found a new bottle shop on Court St. If I remember correctly, it was near the Halloween store (opposite side of the street from the courthouse but not that far down Court). They had Fat Heads and White Rajah; not too sure about Columbus. Store was small, but decent selection for being in the middle of a college binge drinking Mecca.

Treyliff likes this.
  3. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check that one out.

4. Redpac

Redpac Aficionado (145) Illinois Aug 27, 2009

The Jackie O's tap room at the brewery sells cans of Mystic Mama, Chomolunga and Firefly amber.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  5. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

The "Bottle Shop" on Court is probably your best bet. The other shop, Bella Vino, has been closed and under construction for almost a year. Kroger has a decent selection too, but you probably won't find anything mind blowing on the shelves in Athens. Plan to spend most of your beer money at JO's.

Keffa and MarkIntihar like this.
  6. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (530) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Josh nailed it. Athens doesn't have much of anything in terms of a bottle shop.

7. aaronward1980

aaronward1980 Aspirant (35) Ohio Sep 13, 2013

Kroger on E state st has a great selection. "And Beer" is a craft only bottle shop uptown on court street. They have a fb page. Check it out!

8. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Savant (305) Ohio Oct 20, 2007

"And Beer" has a pretty awesome selection when compared to any other options in Athens. It has a very similar selection that you'd find at most bottle shops around the state. Not as much quantity of each beer, but lots of options. People may just not know about it yet as it is fairly new. Definitely wouldn't say Athens doesn't have much of anything now that this place is open.

9. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Savant (305) Ohio Oct 20, 2007

"And Beer" has a pretty awesome selection when compared to any other options in Athens. It has a very similar selection that you'd find at most bottle shops around the state. Not as much quantity of each beer, but lots of options. People may just not know about it yet as it is fairly new. Definitely wouldn't say Athens doesn't have much of anything now that this place is open.

10. If you're traveling to Athens from Columbus I've been in The Pit Stop on Business US-33 at the south edge of town in Nelsonville a few times, and they had a good selection.

11. NABS

NABS Aficionado (185) Ohio May 11, 2011

Just had to throw in for "And Beer".

After the last Jackie O's release, when I was taking the last beers to my car, I happened to look up and, even though I must have passed it 4 or 5 times already that day, I noticed And Beer. And I figured, after already dropping $100's on tap, bottled, and canned beer from Jackie O's, it wouldn't hurt to look for something else.

Glad I stopped in. Even though I don't know if I'd say there was anything earth-shattering in there, I found some more "local"-ish breweries that I wouldn't get at home and made a few selections. For being in a Jackie O's-dominated town (and, of course, a college town), this is a nice little craft beer shop. It was worth a stop for me, that's for sure.

gpawned and RyanMcFly1985 like this.