1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Auburn University to offer degree in brewing science...maybe

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Mebuzzard, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Champion (875) Colorado May 19, 2005

"...The school's board unanimously approved the program, which is awaiting the blessing of the Alabama Commission of Higher Education this summer. Competition is fierce for the inaugural class of 10 students, who could start the 18-hour, distance-learning program as soon as 2014.

Auburn would be one of only two universities in the U.S. to offer such a program – the other is the University of California, Davis. Auburn's foresight is unusual since Alabama's antiquated liquor laws have stalled the craft beer craze that started in the U.S. a little over a decade ago. Alabama and Mississippi are the only states where home brewing is still illegal, and Alabama only legalized the sale of gourmet beers with high-alcohol content in 2009.
    ..."

http://www.wnem.com/story/21303117/university-taps-into-booming-craft-beer-market
  2. VDODSON

VDODSON Savant (305) North Dakota Feb 5, 2013

This I would be interested in, and being accredited it seems the Air Force would pay for it.
  3. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

I hate AU and everything they stand for, but that is pretty badass they are offering this course. It's very smart because it can be a very lucrative business in the state of AL where there is a limited craft beer market.
    Domingo and barleywinefiend like this.
  4. I'd definitely be interested. Since its distance learning, I'm going to assume the vast majority of it would not require one to visit the campus.
  5. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (515) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

This is a joke, right??? Brewing education in AL consists of "It's the devil!" (and we ain't talkin' Duvel here...).

I went to high school in Tuscaloosa, but if this is legit I'm gonna have to scream WAR EAGLE occasionally.
    kojevergas and sommersb like this.
  6. BeastLU

BeastLU Savant (485) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Its legit. They arent brewing beer tho which I find odd. If you had a brewery on/around campus that the students made batches on it would be a huge thing.
  7. peter831

peter831 Zealot (95) California Dec 2, 2012

Oregon State University offers one within their Food Science degree

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/foodsci/undergrad/fermopt.htm

and some newish non credit classes as well,

https://pne.oregonstate.edu/catalog/brewing-science-courses#introduction-section

Here is the requirements for Davis

http://foodscience.ucdavis.edu/undergrad/brewing-science-option

It is interesting to note that if you look at the requirements for both Davis and OSU they have only 3 classes on brewing, with the rest pretty serious undergraduate science degree. (Which is good by the way).
    skivtjerry likes this.
  8. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

My buddy took a brewing class at Florida International University, if I recall correctly.
  9. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

A degree that takes 18 hours to get? Sweet education, bro.
    Thecherryman and kojevergas like this.
  10. Its a start.
  11. Cellaring class would be a logical grad program
  12. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (420) Florida Jul 13, 2011

Yep, FIU in Miami offers a Wine & Beverage Management Certificate program and it contains a class and a lab on brewing science.

http://hospitality.fiu.edu/programs.asp?programs=certificate_programs_non-degree_students

I hear they have an active Brewer's Club. I attended an event at the recent South Beach Wine & Food Festival, hosted by the Food Network. The beer selection was only Amstel beers, because Amstel was the official sponsor (lame) but there was one event where they did a presentation on different styles of beer and the FIU Brewing Club provided their beers for the event.
  13. aucanuck

aucanuck Aficionado (105) Georgia Dec 18, 2010

It's a graduate certification program. You don't get a degree.
    MikeEhrmantraut likes this.
  14. A lot of the cali breweries take the UCD "brewers" on as interns! I always thought was awesome.
  15. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (395) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

This is the motivation I'd need to go back to school! Hopefully the class is VERY hands on :)
    beerassociate likes this.
  16. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (570) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

I'm about to graduate college. I literally have 6 weeks left and I will be done, and yet if Auburn really does this, I will gladly take 4 more years. Please, oh please sweet Lord, let this come to pass.
  17. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

There is a forum on this website for Homebrewing. I assure you that if you start reading those threads, for free, you will learn a hell of alot more than taking an 18 credit course.

/sips homebrewed Tripel brewed with medium hard water and a bump of chloride 22% of fermentables as cane sugar Westmalle yeast at 500,000 cells per ml per plato fermented comparatively cool carbonated to 3.5 volumes CO2 and ready in 2 weeks.:eek:
  18. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

As an Alabama graduate I'm sure there's some kind joke I should make, but I can't/won't. Good for AU.
  19. Well, after our horriffic football and basketball seasons, this is something to be proud of.
  20. tbryan5

tbryan5 Savant (470) Louisiana Sep 22, 2012

No lie... I have a neighbor two houses down who graduated from Auburn. He stops by the other day with a Miller lite in hand. I politely wait for him to finish and offer him a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. Neighbor says, " No thanks. I like my beer watered down." At first I thought he was joking, but then he started another conversation. Now I'm not saying that all Auburn grads are like this but I like to think so... but hey what do I know?? This just coming from an LSU grad. Geaux Tigers!
  21. tbryan5

tbryan5 Savant (470) Louisiana Sep 22, 2012

But seriously... that would be a cool class.
  22. I hang out with some LSU grads who also partake in Miller Lite. I hang out with quite a few college grads/football fans from all over and the vast majority enjoy their BMC products. Conversely, they drink really good liquor--I don't know why they can't get into craft.

I remember at some tailgate at a football game some time ago, I brought some Bigfoot and offered tastings of it to anyone interested...got a lot of "too strong for me" type comments.
  23. aubuc1

aubuc1 Savant (370) Florida Dec 19, 2007

War Eagle!
    MikeEhrmantraut and woosterbill like this.