1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Aukland beers

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by ZAP, Mar 24, 2013.

1. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (725) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

I've got someone going to Auckland soon....anything of note they could bring back in their luggage....cans would be great.....just not familiar at all with the NZ beer scene except for knowing it has great hops locally...

2. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

Liberty brewing beers

3. Get them to hit up Brothers Beer in the city as they stock a fantastic selection of bottles. I'd definitely pick up Hallertau (they had Funkonnay and Double Stout last weekend), Liberty, 8 Wired, Mikes, Epic do great IPA's, stouts etc.. Depends what kinda beers you enjoy drinking...

4. ZAP

Thanks for all the great info everyone. She just got back and I sent her a great list of beers from your ideas and my follow up research of their websites. Then I was excited to hear Brothers was only a 20 minute walk from her apartment. She was leaving on a Tuesday to come back and went to get beer at Brothers on the Monday prior to leaving...it was closed on Mondays....guess she tried every little place on the way back to her apartment and finally found a place with Monteith's....got the Ginger beer and their IPA...missed a golden chance for the others but at least I got some true New Zealand beer....haven't tried the IPA yet but the ginger beer is unique...

luhg2012 and flexabull like this.
  5. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

If Monteiths is "true New Zealand beer" then Rolling Rock is "true US beer".

flexabull and spicelab like this.
  6. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

I would describe Monteith's as the Judas of NZ brewing

7. ZAP

OK...good to know...still better than a Bud Light I guess..will be tasting the IPA early next week...