Aussie Craft Beer - Welcome to 2002

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by heygeebee, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Folks, - it's not often I get the complete sh!ts with our local brewers, and I try to support in any way i can, but time to let off steam.

Point in question - a mixed six from a well-distributed craft brewer - sold at $12 (down from $24) from 1st Choice just before Fathers Day, and plastered all over the checkout area. I bought myself one thinking I couldn't go wrong. No dating, but the boxes looked fresh-as, and nothing to suggest old stock.

WRONG!!!!! I received, for my sins, a completely flat wit, a lager that smelt of socks, a pilsener that tasted of yogurt...... I could go on with the rest of the six but won't. I have just checked my fridge to see the last staring at me and needed to put finger to keyboard, hah!

My real problem with this is not my waste of money, it's that beer brewed/stored/whatever in this manner will take the craft movement back a decade. Some QA needed ffs!!!!! All the 'happy Dads' that were given something different for Fathers Day will nod sagely, smile, and go straight back to XXXX Gold, and I for one don't blame them.

Mediocre craft will take down the good guys quicker than any of the Big Boys targeting them if this continues.

Rant over. Discuss - QA or not to QA?

2. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

Not to have a shot at you Mr Heygeebee, but I would of thought that it being at half price and plastered all over the checkout area would have screamed 'close to code, this must go now!'.

Caveat emptor and all that. The only reason people ever discount things is because the product isn't good enough to sell at it's original price point. This may be a combination of factors, ie. too much supply, inferior product etc but it still holds.

I deff. agree with QA, but in this case, I think it's more to do with the retail outlet. Take it back and tell them it's rubbish. I do agree bottles should have bottle dates on them, but thats an on-going issue for most of us.

If anything you should contact the brewery and tell them your concerns. Most will be happy to hear them. I imagine they wouldn't be too happy with their beer being sold in such terrible condition. I guess they would offer the liquor store some choice words.

3. Mr Mordecia - I do understand your point.... however, in defence of this BA, the price point is a little variable. In that - the 'other' major large-floorspace retailer is still selling identically filled mixed-sixes for $24, amd lots of them. So I suspect that age is a little less of a variable than QA.

This particular brewery has also taken heat in the past on this forum, hence me not getting up close 'n' personal.....

4. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Don't buy your beer from the major chains?

Unfortunately for some of the brewers it is a necessary evil, but what you have to remember, is that the chains do whatever the hell they want with it. If they buy a few pallets and want to sit them in their warehouse for 6 months before distributing it, there is nothing any of the breweries can do about it.

5. interesting late thought on this one - Worst Choice are actually quite good at hand-marking down the prices on out of date beer.

So in this instance I suspect less to do with dating. The stout in the pack was still 'OK' as well - in context, of course.... ;)

6. As a retailer, it was half-price...that should have sent signals to your brain that perhaps you weren't going to be receiving the freshest of beers.