1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Austin Specialty Beer Festival

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by lokieman, Feb 11, 2013.

1. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

I believe my girlfriend is buying me tickets for Valentine's Day (I know...keeper). Just wondering if anyone else is planning on going or knows any background of the promoters and the people behind the festival. Don't want her to buy tickets and then have it end up like that train wreck of a festival last year (can't remember the name of it). Decent line up and it does benefit the Boys and Girls Club of Austin so there's money going to a good cause. Any info or thoughts would be appreciated...

http://www.austinspecialtybeerfestival.com/home

2. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Almost no local breweries. I wouldn't call that a good sign.

wagenvolks likes this.
  3. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

THIS! Same issue with that Austin Beerfest last year. If locals won't get involved, you know something is wrong. I actually heard several significant figures in the local beer scene talking about this festival, in a very detrimental way.

That Austin Beer Fest last year was definitely targeted at a "non craft" audience, and I get the same sense here. They say "1-day beer festival specializing in rare, unique, exotic beers" but then have very typical, basic beers on their list (unless you're used to drinking only BMC)

Maybe it will be OK, but if I were considering it, I would be VERY concerned why there is no JK, no ABW, no Hops & Grain, etc.

bentwookie likes this.
  4. lokieman

There are some good breweries on the list (Avery, Boulevard, Oskar Blues, Maui, Stone, DFH) but I'm just worried that they'll be pouring core beers instead of the 1-offs I would be looking for. The lack of Austin and other local/state breweries does concern me...would be nice to know why none of them signed up.

5. videofrog

videofrog Savant (470) Texas Nov 13, 2010

6. I dont know looking over the breweries that are participating doesnt seem like it would be a bad time. Granted only St Arnolds as far as Tx beer but the rest look fairly solid

7. Dansk

Dansk Zealot (80) Texas Jan 10, 2013

is there really any doubt this event will suck cock? I mean, do you really need us to tell you?

BeerZack likes this.
  8. lokieman

Yes....never been to a festival around town, seems like I always have to work. Just wanted some feedback from some local BA's about what they thought about this one. A lot of quality breweries scheduled to be there...just not any real locals.Thanks for your input though man...

9. ext1rpate

ext1rpate Savant (265) Texas Feb 21, 2011

I went to the Texas Craft Brewer's Festival last Oct. and it was amazing... probably the only Festival in Austin that wasn't a debacle.

wagenvolks likes this.
  10. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Save your $ and drive up to Dallas for Big Texas Beer Fest on April 13th. Guaranteed great times!

11. lokieman

Yea I told her to hold off until I got some more info...would like to make it worth our while so probably going to hold off til something better comes along.

12. kmello69

Agreed. THIS was an excellent festival, and one I will definitely be going to again this year. You should try to wait for this one if you can

13. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (315) Texas Oct 21, 2008

These festivals are typically events put on, or appear to be put on, by distributors. Most of the breweries have no reps on hand and it's a clueless person serving you samples of beers you can find in any store/bar here in town. I would suggest saving your money and going to the Texas Craft Brewer's Fest in the fall.

The only good sign this fest shows is that it's donating money to the Boys and Girls Club.

14. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (255) Texas Sep 6, 2010

This is posted on the FAQ

WHAT’S THE DEAL WITH THE BEER GARDEN?

Full pints are only $4 (4 drink tickets) and you can take them anywhere in the park
    If you want to just come hang out, enjoy a frosty cold pint and people watch, this is for you. Newcastle and Newcastle Limited Edition are the featured beers this year.

Now granted the "featured" beer leads me to believe this will be a collection of flagship brews from each attending brewery, if I'm reading this right, I can show up with a $5, grab a beer, and check it out for future knowledge. If there are some great beers flowing, I can buy the $40 door price ticket. So maybe just as risky as blindly purchasing a $30 ticket but when I weight it out, I'd rather pay $45 total for great beer than pay $30 for 20 oz of shit I can buy @ HEB.

15. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Aficionado (220) Texas Apr 12, 2012

Looks like something for "Newbies" not beer geeks.

16. acbe

acbe Savant (295) Texas Jul 23, 2011

This. Don't go expecting to chat with the brewers or even employees of the breweries.

17. Walt

Walt Initiate (0) Texas Aug 6, 2006

Come to the Flix Firkin Fest instead.

BK1017, BeerZack, bentwookie and 2 others like this.
  18. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (255) Texas Sep 6, 2010

Already have 2 tix. Should be good times!

19. lokieman

Already on my calendar Walt...coming to the event next Wednesday at Homefield Grill as well

20. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (445) Texas Feb 3, 2009

Close, but it's on April 6th :)

http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/59177

My wife and I put this event on, and Austin breweries (as well as almost every DFW brewery) will be involved. We don't have much intention to grow this thing outside our local community. Much like beer, we believe festivals are a regional product at best. I would rather do 2-3 festivals in DFW, instead of doing a festival 1,000 miles from home. This is not meant as a shot towards any festival promoter/organizer who does an event outside their hometown, it's simply our approach towards what we do and how we do it. The only reason we were able to do a successful festival, is because we have relationships here locally. Please come join us for year 2, and we'll prove to you that we're legit!

Cheers,
    Chad

21. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

I don't know why April 13th is stuck in my head. Thanks for the correction.

22. Looks like Ben E Keith Fest. Another distro portfolio exhibition marketed as a festival.

23. lbour

lbour Aficionado (180) Texas Jul 17, 2011

Love craft-beer as much as the next BA... and am so looking forward to my first Austin-purchased Parabola next week! However, I still enjoy Newcastle and drinking some good (albiet not local craft) beer in the sunshine of Fiesta Gardens sounds like a pretty decent day to me. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I doubt it.

Cheers,
    Lee

24. thirdeye11

Legally, Ben E Keith cannot throw the festival, so someone else has to be behind it. If BEK is the only distro on hand, that could be a possibility though.

25. Lutter

The more that is posted, the more this sounds like a disaster.

26. omnigrits

omnigrits Savant (345) Texas Jun 1, 2006

It's mostly Ben E Keith, but not 100%. Boulevard is Keg 1 and St Arnold is distributed by Capitol in Austin, plus I see three importers there. I know that at least two of them have brands distributed by BEK.

27. bccocx

bccocx Advocate (710) Texas Jan 13, 2007

Anyone planning on going tomorrow? It's right down the road from where I live, so I figure I might as well go.

28. aschwab

aschwab Savant (475) Texas Mar 3, 2009

I am guessing there won't be any specialty beer that you cannot get normally everyday on the shelves of spec's.

29. bccocx

I'm not doubting that. I'm not expecting any wales... just expecting to sample some beers and enjoy some music

30. kmello69

Then you should be happy. Its going to be a beautiful day, and thats a great spot for a beer event. Report back and let us know how it goes if you make it.

31. aschwab

aschwab Savant (475) Texas Mar 3, 2009

It should be a good time, I agree. Anytime having decent beers outdoors in the 70s with live music is good. I just do not like their naming of the festival as it is not exactly a "specialty" beer festival. Sounds like just another attempt to make money off the booming craft beer market.

32. kmello69

At least the proceeds are going to the Boys & Girls Clubs of Austin, so its not just lining someones pockets. Have fun!

33. Lutter

FYI... Firestone Walker will be at this if... for some reason... you haven't tried their beers this week.

34. 04beerguy

04beerguy Disciple (70) Texas Feb 14, 2013

I'm helping at the event and thought I'd pass along that Adelbert's and South Austin Brewing will have products at the event. I think both will have representation there as well. All proceeds will go to the Boys and Girls Club. They're putting the event on and working with a few people that have worked with the Seattle Internaional Beer Festival and the Portland International Beer Festival. This event won't have nearly as many beers available of course, but it should have plenty of quality beers for everyone on a beautiful Austin day and for a good cause. It's not related to any previous Austin events as it truly is a first year event.

East1stgrocery likes this.
  35. thirdeye11

I didn't hear a word about this event, which I suppose is a good thing because had it been a train wreck, I think we would all have known by now. Then again, if we didn't hear anything crazy bad, we didn't hear anything crazy good. Was it just sort of 'meh' like we thought?

36. bccocx

It was pretty 'meh'. I don't really have any major complaints about the event. I had a decent time. There were a good number of beers available (nothing rare or exotic besides maybe Thirsty Planet's Franklin). It didn't take long to get beer. They had a good variety of food trucks on hand.

It was by no means anything special. I was happy that the proceeds were going to a good organization. I didn't feel that it was worth $30, but at the very least I can consider it somewhat charitable. I think people who are just starting to get into craft beer would probably have enjoyed it a little more than myself.

I went with two other craft beer drinkers and everyone was ready to go within 1 hour. None of us bought the additional "sampler tickets."

C-/C+ event

37. thirdeye11

Thanks for the review. From what I hear, anything would be better than that shitshow that happened in Austin last year.