Austin Suggestions

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by danielnovak3, Jan 27, 2013.

1. I'm going down to Austin with my fiancee in March. I was hoping I could get some good suggestions for bars, restaurants, and stores. Any help is definitely appreciated!

2. If you had a short list of the kinds of things you usually look for in a place and what part of Austin you'll be in, I'm sure we all could narrow it down pretty quick for ya.

3. In terms of bars and stores, I'm looking for places that carry Jester King and 512. For restaurants, we are into BBQ, gastropubs, and New American. I believe we are staying in the vicinity of Heritage Hills and Georgian Acres. We'll have a car too, so getting around won't be a problem. Thanks!

4. acbe

acbe Savant (300) Texas Jul 23, 2011

March 12-17 is the SXSW Music Festival. Expect huge crowds and long lines if you are here during that time period.

5. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (525) Texas Nov 27, 2011

6. kmello69

JK can be found at most bottle shops in town, or you can go to the brewery on Saturdays for the tour/tasting, and buy bottles there from Stanleys pizza (really the best option). (512) doesnt bottle but for a few things throughout the year, so thats a tap-only search.

BBQ - go to Franklins. Get there around 9:30 for the 11am opening. Yes, its a long line, but you will not regret it.

Brewpubs/Bars with good food - Pinthouse Pizza, Whip In, Bangers, Black Star Co-op

Otherwise, check the threads for more ideas

r0nburgundy69 likes this.
  7. We are leaving the day before. I'm kind of bummed we are missing it.

8. Thanks!

9. mindswoop

mindswoop Aficionado (230) Texas Dec 22, 2011

Hopfields has great food as well.

10. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

SXSW Film should be going on while you're here, if you're into that.

11. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

You're gonna just miss Spamalot as well! (i only know cause my wife bought me a ticket for xmas!!)

I second making the trip to Black Star Coop. Havent been to Bangers or Pinthouse*(which is a sin cause my shop is literally less than a mile from it) but i see both highly reccommended around here.

NxNw is decent, if a bit expensive. Beer is hit or miss(blackjack is fantastic, good sours if they have them, regular beers are a matter of taste. I like them, but most think they could do better) the food is always good, but be prepared to spend some $$. Although, imo, its a good night out for a couple who want a bit of a classy dinner and drink atmosphere.

12. I'll probably give some more recommendations later, but just want to chime into and encourage Franklins. If you're serious about having good BBQ, it's life-altering.

13. NXNW at happy hour is a good option. The food is pretty good and a few of the beers are good. I think most of the standards are whatever. If you're coming in from the north, take a look at Flix, sometimes they do some interesting things.

The brewery tours are good times if you're there over the weekends. Jester King is a good tour with a nice mix of beers. If you're going out that way you can stop off at Thirsty Planet for a tour first. I am partial to Saltlick BBQ, which isn't terribly far from JK. I've been trying to appear in Austin the same weekend as a 512 or Live Oak tour but it never seems to work out.

Whip In and Gingerman are my go to places for beer in Austin but I keep meaning to hit the Draughthouse and Bangers. I hear good things about Pinthouse. I'm generally not a fan of Flying Saucer but if you're up near NXNW it's in the vicinity off Mopac.

14. kmello69

Flying Saucer is much closer to Draught House and Pinthouse (actually within a mile of both of those). Those 3 are all in "The Triangle" area, while NXNW is much further north, near the Arboretum/Domain. Whip In, Gingerman and Bangers are all in/near the downtown area.

15. The Draught House is by far my favorite beer bar in town. Good prices, good people, and a relaxing atmosphere. I moved away from the area 2 years ago and still find myself there at least once a week.

lokieman likes this.
  16. Lutter

The Draught House might be the best bar I've ever been to.

Love that place... except for the bathroom. If you look at my Profile under 'Places', I wrote quite a lengthy review at work a few weeks back.

Really, someone get them a bathroom attendant, stat. lol.

17. pjdipes

pjdipes Zealot (90) Washington Nov 18, 2012

Much like the original post, my wife and I are coming down from Seattle to SxSw....and so far I'm loving all the great recommendations. We'll be hitting up Jester King for sure, and thought NxNw was a good option....however with the ole lady not much of a beer drinker and more a whiskey drinker, any great bar suggestions would be appreciated. Along with solid food trucks as well of course.

18. Lutter

Take her to Peche on 4th Street. They've got the best cocktails in town including an entire section of the menu dedicated to 'Whiskey Amour'. I love a good cocktail myself.

http://www.pecheaustin.com/

The Driskill Bar is a good compromise if she wants cocktails and you prefer beer on tap. They only have a few taps but they always have good locals and Chimay Red (w/ proper glasswear even). Old Texas vibe and excellent mixologists.

Afterwards catch a short taxi to Bangers on Rainey Street and get a beer.

Compromises. :)

19. ext1rpate

ext1rpate Savant (290) Texas Feb 21, 2011

It's funny you say that, I mentioned that to my friends when I was there... the fuckin' bathroom is god awful lol.

20. omnigrits

omnigrits Savant (345) Texas Jun 1, 2006

If she's a whiskey drinker she has to try some Balcones True Blue. Whenever I go to Haddingtons (can be pricey on the beer but food is good) a shot of that is always my dessert. A shot is all you'll need - it's 123 proof o_O

Danielbt likes this.
  21. SBoyar1

SBoyar1 Aficionado (210) Texas Nov 14, 2012

Easy Tiger on 6th street is also a great place to drink Whiskey/Beer. They have a great selection of both, and its a great place to hang out when the weather is nice.

22. Awesome! Thanks for all of suggestions. If you ever need recommendations for Chicago, feel free to hit me up.

23. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

This is my place to go when I visit.

24. pjdipes

Really appreciate all your suggestions, and I'm writing each and every one down for research. Also....how far away is Lockhart and are their BBQ joints really all that?

25. Lutter

Lockhart is ~25 miles. I'm partial to Black's BBQ and Smittys.

And yes, they're "all that".

I much prefer those places to stuff in Austin. Franklin is all hype, IMHO. I'm in the minority though. BBQ is a touchy subject in TX.

26. Heretic42

Heretic42 Savant (475) Texas Aug 31, 2011

If you find a group of people interested in Franklin's, you should be able to call in an order (several days in advance) and skip the line -- 5lb minimum. For events like SXSW, you might want to check with them a week or more in advance to make sure they'll still be able to do that.

And yea, BBQ is very touchy in TX. I've been left almost entirely unsatisfied by what's in DFW.

27. The Lockhart BBQ joints were the best for many miles from Austin before Franklin came around. Smitty's & Kreuz Market are still among the tops in the state and one benefit over Franklins is that you won't have to stay in line for two hours. Lockhart BBQ is very, very good.

But I can't say it enough ways: Franklin's brisket, specifically, is the best there is.

28. Lutter

You smoke with mesquite and build furniture with oak. Franklin doesn't understand this. ;)

Cousin's BBQ in FW is amazing as is the Pecan Lodge in Dallas, BTW.

29. omnigrits

omnigrits Savant (345) Texas Jun 1, 2006

*Ahem* You smoke with mesquite and age beer with oak :p

30. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Have you tried Lockhart's in the Bishop Arts area?

31. PhatAtUT

PhatAtUT Advocate (545) Texas Jul 31, 2009

franklin kills all three lockhart joints. to suggest franklin's brisket is all hype is luttercrous.

32. Lutter

Suggesting there are only 3 BBQ joints in Lockhart worth going to is Luttercrous. :)

Chisholm Trail, yo!

I told you I wasn't of the majority on this. LOL.

33. Heretic42

Heretic42 Savant (475) Texas Aug 31, 2011

Yea, definitely not a fan. I found their sausage (which afaik, they don't make themselves) to be ok and the brisket barely passable. I'd articulate more, but it's been a year or so since I went.

34. pjdipes

So If I'm heading down to Lockhart, and since this 'is' a beer forum, I ask the obvious question.....Beer in Lockhart?

35. kmello69

Try all the BBQ, because it really is different. Franklins or Blacks or Smittys or Salt Lick, etc etc. Like beer, every palate is different, and what I like (Franklins, personally, having tried dozens of others) and what someone else likes wont be the same.

Now as to beer in Lockhart, I can't say. I remember Blacks having a variety of Shiner stuff, but beyond that, I'm out of the loop.

36. acbe

acbe Savant (300) Texas Jul 23, 2011

Not to anyone in particular, but it's Franklin. Franklin Barbeque.

37. kmello69

Yup. I keep making the mistake of adding the "s"

My favorite line from their web site: "And despite the new digs and every reasonable effort to increase production, Franklin BBQ’s line is as long as ever, and the restaurant has sold out of brisket every day of its existence."

38. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (335) Texas Oct 21, 2008

I don't know for sure, but you can check online and see if any of the Lockhart BBQ spots are BYOB.

There is another popular BBQ spot in Austin, the former JMueller trailer now named La BBQ. They tend to have less of a line than Franklin and it's BYOB. It's walking distance from my office so a coworker and I end up here frequently.

39. bbqadvocate.com

40. kmello69

Has the quality changed at all since J was fired?