1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Authentic Peach Lambic - How do we make it happen?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bsuedekum, Feb 24, 2013.

1. bsuedekum

bsuedekum Savant (485) Missouri Aug 13, 2010

I've had a handful of American Peach Wild Ales and they've all been fantastic. Fantasia, Peche N Brett, & Upland Peach Lambic top the list of the ones I've had and I hear/read nothing but good things about Yellow Bus, Vertias 010, & Persica (I hope to someday track these down) along with others.

With that said, how do we go about convincing one of the authentic lambic makers in Belgium into making a peach lambic? I know Lindeman's does a Peche, and I'm not going to say it's bad, but their over the top sweetness level just isn't for me. Anyone have any thoughts on how to talk Boon, Tiquin, Girardin, Armand, or Cantillon into making a peach lambic? Cantillon plays around with more fruit than anyone, how do we go about petitioning Jean Pierre into giving this a shot? Or how about Tilquin? He seems to be open when it comes to fruit experiments... I mean if prune lambic is in the cards why not peach? I just think it would make for a top notch beer.

2. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

There was a story from "the festival" that Jean Van Roy tried Persica and really liked it, so maybe we just need them to do a collaborative brew?

3. bsuedekum

Or send him some more peach wilds to enjoy? Maybe challenge his ego and say we doubt he can make anything better than this! Ha.

4. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

Aniother way - start homebrewing.
    Although a good lambic, much less peach does take some experience and luck to get right,

5. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Yeah, send the guy who makes Fou Foune some American peach wilds to "challenge his ego", great idea bro.

Just drink Fou Foune and forget this silly idea.

CityofBals, vacax and weatherdog like this.
  6. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Savant (425) Indiana Jun 5, 2012

Ya, what's Fou Foune then?

7. bsuedekum

Fou Foune is apricots bro, not peaches. My assumption is he can make a better peach beer in true lambic form, and I'd love for that to happen.

8. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

Please elaborate about the wild and vast differences between using peaches and apricots in a beer.

JrGtr, lurchingbeast and codysjb like this.
  9. bsuedekum

I don't claim to be a botanist... I love peaches, I love peach wild ales that we Americans make, I want an authentic lambic maker to produce a peach lambic. Not sure why that's confusing. I want to have Fantasia side by side with Drie Fontienen or Cantillon Peche lambic, or Upland Peach Lambic side by side with one. You know, so I'm comparing apples to apples and not apples and oranges...(or in this case, peaches to peaches and not peaches to apricots).

10. bsuedekum

You could say: "Please elaborate about the wild and vast differences between using muscat grapes and Cabernet franc grapes in a beer."

And I'd respond one makes Vigneronne and one makes St. Lamvinus. Just as these two grapes make "wild and vast" different beers, I suspect apricots and peaches would too.

litheum94, beerme411, Brew33 and 3 others like this.
  11. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Savant (295) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

To me, Fou' Foune tasted like peaches although it is made w apricots

12. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

This is going well.

13. They are different fruits, and do not taste the same.

westcoastbeerlvr, JxExM, Etan and 2 others like this.
  14. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

If New Belgium ever makes Eric's Ale again, it's certainly up there. I even prefer it to Persica (slightly) although many other have the opposite opinion. Either way, that one's more widespread than Persica is...again, assuming they ever make it again.

15. weatherdog

I would argue that the differences between Muscat grapes and Merlot/Cabernet Franc grapes are much larger than the differences between Apricots and Peaches. My history os tasting them in beers concurs.

16. ArrogantB

I'm sure Jean Van Roy is perfectly happy with Fou Foune and sees no reason to make another lambic which would be so close in flavor.

Yes, Belgian lambic brewers should start making peach lambics so they can be compared to American peach wild ales.

God this is a dumb thread.

Tilley4 and phillybeer7779 like this.
  17. ArrogantB

Also it still wouldn't be an apples to apples comparison because American wild ales aren't lambics.

18. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

Apricots are better than peaches anyway.

ArrogantB likes this.
  19. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

:eek: *Takes out notepad.... "Apricots not same as peaches"

Science!

2beerdogs, Gosox8787 and Etan like this.
  20. bsuedekum

Look, lambic is made with many fruits (raspberries, cherries, grapes, blueberries, prunes, apricots). My whole point of this thread is that I want more lambic options when it comes to peaches (other than Lindeman's Peche) as I think it would beat out all the others.

21. ArrogantB

Its a fun idea but its just very unlikely to happen. Maybe you could write Jean Van Roy a letter inquiring and then post his response here.

22. I'm really not sure why so many are giving the op some serious shit here. Apricots and Peaches are quite different fruits. Ok maybe he ruffled some feathers by going the compare American wilds to lambics route, but really I'd love to see a Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen or De Cam Peche.

I've often thought about what some really good pears in a lambic (or an American wild!) would be like as well. I know it would certainly be similar to a English or French Perry but would balance out the inherent sweetness of the fruit even more.

Jonada, LambicKing, Gosox8787 and 3 others like this.
  23. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

you might try to deliver a few pallets of peaches to the cantillon brewery... that's kind-of how FouFoune started, right?

i mean, what the heck else are they going to do with a half-ton of peaches?

24. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Not quite the same, but similar - AC Golden made barrel aged wild sours with both Apricot and Peaches. They were similar enough if you weren't drinking them side-by-side, but at the same time, it was pretty clear which one was which.

25. bsuedekum

Now we're talking!... The best reply on this thread yet as it would probably work. ISO: a half ton of fresh peaches and a way to ship them to Brussels.

Gosox8787 likes this.
  26. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

You both realize that apricots and peaches aren't the same fruit, right? They taste different from each other...

27. ArrogantB

Yes I am quite aware that they are different fruits which is why one is called an apricot and one is called a peach. I have even eaten both fruits! Thanks for checking bro!

28. Are you paying? I'm sure I can find a place that would love to provide that any peaches.

29. Etan

Do they really taste similar to you?

30. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

I suspect it won't happen merely due to lack of authenticity. I'm guessing they can't grow peaches in Belgium... too cold? Berries, on the flipside, grow like mad in northern europe.
    As for apricots vs. peaches... I know zilch about brewing, but I bet each of these fruits contribute a different amount of acidity, sugar, and moisture, which when taken together, might create wildly different brews? Just a guess.

31. weatherdog

You do realize both Muscat grapes and Cabernet Franc/Merlot grapes are the same fruit right? Both are Vitis vinifera.

Does that mean that Vigneronne and St. Lam must taste the same?

No where did I say they were the same fruit, just that their properties in a sour beer are very similar if not indistinguishable and I urge you to argue against that. It doesn't matter what the fruit tastes like alone, just what properties they bring to a beer.

32. Etan

The apricot lambics/wild ales I've had have tasted different than the (admittedly few) peach ones I've had. I suppose it depends on your experience.

33. ArrogantB

You know I haven't had an apricot in years but I have had peaches every summer. When I taste peach beers and I taste fou foune I detect similar qualities in the fruit flavor. Am I wrong?

34. Etan

No, not wrong, I'm just curious.

35. ArrogantB

36. Etan

ArrogantB likes this.