1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Averagely Perfect IPA Project - Not a Poll (believe it or not)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Mar 5, 2013.

1. VikeMan

VikeMan Member

For those not familiar, this post relates to this thread and the ensuing polls...
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/the-averagely-perfect-american-ipa-project.59552/

While the polls wind down with the dry hop questions, I went ahead and started crunching some remaining numbers. Here's a draft of the All Grain version:

(This is not a request for recipe critique per se, which would be silly at this point. But if I have made an error somewhere, of course I will fix it.)

Draft Recipe sans Dry Hops (TBD)...

Targets:
    5 Gallons into Fermenter
    Target ABV: 6.5%
    Target OG: 1.062
    Target FG: 1.012
    Mash Efficiency: 70%
    Apparent Attenuation: 81%
    Recommended Mash Temp: 151F
    64 IBUs (per Tinseth Calc)

Grain Bill:
    Two-Row Brewer's Malt - 11.78 lbs
    Crystal 40 - 0.64 lbs
    Carapils - 0.38 lbs

Hop Schedule:
    60 Minutes
    --Magnum, 14% AA, 0.11 oz
    15 Minutes
    --Simcoe, 13% AA, 0.5 oz
    --Centennial, 11.5% AA, 0.5 oz
    --Cascade, 5.9% AA, 0.5 oz
    10 Minutes
    --Simcoe, 13% AA, 0.5 oz
    5 Minutes
    --Simcoe, 13% AA, 0.75 oz
    Flameout/Whirlpool/Hopstand
    --Simcoe, 13% AA, 1.0 oz
    --Centennial, 11.5% AA, 0.75 oz
    --Cascade, 5.9% AA, 0.75 oz
    Dry Hop
    --TBD

Yeast:
    Wyeast 1056/WLP001/US-05

Notes:
    - This recipe is for 5 gallons of wort going into the fermenter. With such a massive hopload, absorption matters, and it affects a lot of things. Read on.
    - This recipe assumes pellet hops, with a 10% bonus utilization due to pellet form, and a wort absorption of 3.2 ounces wort per ounce of hops. The Standard Tinseth formula assumes leaf hops (without the 10% bonus utilization.) If you will use pellets, but don't believe in the pellet bonus (or believe in a different bonus), adjust. YMMV. The reason this recipe was built with pellet hops is that I am assuming they will be more available to most people.
    - If you use Whole Leaf hops, this may change your utilization assumptions and your hop wort absorption assumptions. YMMV. Adjust as necessary.
    - I used my own boil off rate (in conjunction with hop wort absorption) to determine a starting wort volume, which impacts hop utilization. YMMV. Adjust as necessary. Use your software. You paid for it. If it's freeware, good luck!
    - Anything you change that relates to absorption will change the total fermentables you need to get out of your mash. So you may need to adjust the grain bill up/down.
    - If your hops have different Alpha Acid percentages, adjust as necessary.
    - This recipe assumes 70% Mash Efficiency, a little higher than BYO recipes (for example) assume, but probably closer to the average efficiency on this forum based on what I've seen over the years. YMMV. Adjust as necessary.
    - I need a beer. YMMV. Adjust as necessary.
  2. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Member

Too much crystal, not enough late hops :eek:
  3. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Member

Great analysis man. It's very close to my personal analysis, which I've posted once (and partly twice). My own AA% numbers are slightly different but not off by very much.
  4. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Member

So.... YMMV. Got it! :)

BTW, does anybody have a good number for wort absorption by whole hops?
  5. OddNotion

OddNotion Member

Late hops = CITRAAAAAAAA????

Thanks Vike for putting all this info together, this is a fun project and has taken a lot of patience and dedication on your part!
    MADhombrewer likes this.
  6. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Member

p.s. don't forget the "American" part

USA! USA! USA! :cool:
    OddNotion likes this.
  7. LordFoul

LordFoul Member

Phenomenal work... seeing this project through, with all of the threads must have been quite a bit of work. I look forward to brewing this once it is all said and done, and posting the results.
    Eriktheipaman likes this.
  8. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Member

The results of the beers everybody brewed as a result of the project will finalize the project's friggin' awesomeness. :cool:
    utahbeerdude likes this.
  9. jlordi12

jlordi12 Member

Thanks for putting this together. Very cool project and I look forward to trying it out.
  10. VikeMan

VikeMan Member

This is system/process dependent, but I average a loss of about 8 oz wort per ounce of whole leaf hops. Technically a lot of that is really wort being 'trapped' rather than actually absorbed, but the result is the same.
  11. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Member

3g of Magnum?
  12. PortLargo

PortLargo Member

My calculations are almost identical with what you came up with. I've already ordered my grain and bulk hops, and anticipate having it started before the dry-hop polls close.

But can the small amount of magnum be equaled by substituting an addition to the flavoring hops? I see 0.11 oz of magnum for 60 minutes being very close to 0.25 oz of Simcoe for 15 min. From a practical point, this would make more sense (less to order, less waste). Is it carved in stone that bittering hops must added for 60 minutes? Is it possible to get all your IBUs from the last 15 minutes?

This is not an attempt to sharp-shoot the recipe. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of how to massage the IBU numbers.
  13. DNuggs

DNuggs Member

With regards to flameout/whirlpool/hopstand additions, do we have a set amount of time to perform said hopstand or is it a free-for-all? What about people using hopbacks? Any opinions?
  14. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Member

On one computer I get just over 3g magnum, on the other I get just under a six grams of magnum. Dang beersmith has too many parameters, so they're not perfectly in agreement, but they're pretty darn close. :rolleyes:

One day both my computers will match o_O
  15. VikeMan

VikeMan Member

It's possible, but then it wouldn't quite be the recipe that was voted for. But certainly, anyone can brew what they want.
  16. VikeMan

VikeMan Member

From poll #27...

17. VikeMan

VikeMan Member

Addendum: I will be doing a whole leaf hop version of the recipe, and also an extract plus steeped grain option of each version, so that anyone who is unsure of the math or their software will have something to compare to.

Edit: Might as well mention it here, in case anyone wants to object... for the extract/steeped grains options of each version, I'm planning to replace both the 2-row and the Carapils with Briess Golden Light DME. The reason is that the DME already contains Carapils. I thought it would be better to recommend that than to just say generic DME, and leave people guessing as to any particular brand's carapils content, which often is not published.
  18. pweis909

pweis909 Member

From poll 27: "This addition is hops added at or after flameout, but before fermentation. Individual system capabilities will vary widely. Do what you want to/can do. "

Does this mean no prescribed flameout/whirlpool time?
  19. DNuggs

DNuggs Member

I take it to mean that you can do whatever you want....I'll probably end up doing a 20 minutes whirlpool at around 190 and then hitting the chiller
  20. VikeMan

VikeMan Member

Yep. Wort cooling/non-cooling times and methods are so different system to system that I didn't see much point in it. It seems like an area where imposing order might actually create chaos. I had also said in an early thread that I won't be asking any questions potentially leading to a recipe that can't be brewed on my system. :)
    pweis909 likes this.
  21. wspscott

wspscott Member

So I am definitely brewing this and I am thinking about doing a similar beer (same malts/hops) but closer to what I would have chosen for a "Average Perfect IPA" for comparison.

Enough people have talked about brewing/exchanging so when do we start figuring out how to do that without breaking the bank on shipping :)
  22. VikeMan

VikeMan Member

Stay tuned. I believe you may be seeing something from Naugled on that in the next few days.
  23. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Member

I've got the recipe input for my system at 5.5 gallons in the fermenter so after dry hopping and trub/yeast losses I will have 5 gallons in the keg. Looking forward to brewing this one, but I need to re-brew my Black IPA first to get it into a competition in April.
  24. DAllspaw

DAllspaw Member

numbers match mine very well using a hodgepodge of calculators. Thanks much for preparing this, what will become my brew day notes. Just curious, as this will only be my 2nd AG batch and 8th overall - how does the flavor and or bitterness profile differ in the end product when so many of the IBUs are coming so late in the boil? Bear in mind my recipes to date have been the standard 1 oz for 60 minutes. I am guessing a more pronounced presentation of the hops in both flavor and aroma, but does the bitterness register different on the palate? Still much to learn....
  25. mattbk

mattbk Member

Yes, the bitterness will definitely register differently - the flavor derived from preserving the hop oils will combat and minimize the bitterness. We never really spoke about water chemistry in this poll - a higher SO4/Cl ratio will help to emphasize that bitterness and make it a bit sharper.
    DAllspaw likes this.
  26. udubdawg

udubdawg Member

[obligatory "you started this January 4th? Your IPA is old and a shell of its former self!" post]

seriously though, great work. Looks fantastic.

cheers--
    --Michael
  27. OddNotion

OddNotion Member

Its practically a light barleywine at this point :confused:
    barfdiggs likes this.
  28. spry

spry Member

Great work, looking forward to brewing this.
  29. mporter13

mporter13 Member

I think I'll scale this down to 1 3 gallon batch, but I'll definitely give it a whirl.
  30. wspscott

wspscott Member

Sounds good, after all this voting I want to see what other people end up with, not just my own.
  31. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Member

Sounds good, again.

I've got a bit of a backlog of beers to brew, but I'll toss this one up near the front of the list, as I think it'll be fun to do, and have enjoyed voting and bitching about what we all should do! ;)