1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Avery Brewers Are Against Aging?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by dar482, Feb 19, 2013.

1. dar482

dar482 Advocate (700) New York Mar 9, 2007

yuichituba likes this.
  2. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (735) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Your stouts and smoked beers are fucked bro.

Sorry.

3. dar482

I've had them for 2 months... I'm asking about cellaring them.

4. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Stouts should be fine. I had a 2006 mephitopeles at Avery, just before gabf. It is the reason I started a small cellar.

markmcconv likes this.
  5. ceazaleo

ceazaleo Disciple (65) Virginia May 25, 2011

I had a 2007 a couple of years ago, and it indeed is why I started cellaring beer.

beercanman likes this.
  6. Very intriguing interview. I too got into cellaring after having a 3 year vertical of Meph (09-11) when 2011 was released.

7. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

fresh hog heaven: nice B+ barleywine, really solid

aged hog heaven: awesome barleywine, clear A.

mephistopheles and samaels great too.

most beers not so much (oxidation doesn't make things better, and hop oils don't last long).

8. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (480) California Dec 11, 2010

I was trying to come up with a witty and funny comment about how this question has been asked a billion times already and that the OP should learn how to use the search function and/or The Google, or simply watch the interview again.

But I didn't, and I'm glad you were there to clean it up. Well done.

9. dar482

No, if you watch the interview, it says that the other Hog Heavens were basically undrinkable. So what are you getting at?

10. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (480) California Dec 11, 2010

It's widely-known that age diminishes hop aroma. I was referring to the title of your thread which said "Avery Brewers are Against Aging," which is false.

As to your other questions, go spend a few minutes and read some other threads. You will definitely find the answers you seek.

11. dar482

It's more than that though. They included lambics. Hell, there was just a general sense that a brewery should put out beer when it's fresh and good. That you can't mess up drinking beer fresh, but there's an off chance beer can turn out poorly when you wait.

And for more support, it's not only hop heavy beers. It's most Belgian styles as well.
    http://www.focusonthebeer.com/2012/12/cellarmanship-interview-with-new.html

You also understate what is occurring. "Diminishes hop aroma" is not what they were saying. They were saying the beer is oxidized. The beer is basically spoiling into a "cardboard" flavor that ruins it. They joked that 2 of those Hog Heavens were not for consumption. So yeah, it's more than must some "aroma."

12. I raise the BS flag. I had a 2006 Beast a while back and it was f'in primetime as was my 2008 Meph. You can't drink these w/o age anyways. Age on bro, age on.

PDawson, Pahn and ceazaleo like this.
  13. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

So what you're saying is aging a beer can potentially change said beer? o_O

Please, tell us more...

14. dar482

For the worse, most of the time, depending on the beer

"Change" is like saying, that letting milk spoil will "change" the taste of milk.

15. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Not if you select the types of beer that typically "change" in a way you prefer.

Hoppy beer loses it's fresh hoppy profile. Not breaking news. It should be pretty well known that hoppy beer shouldn't be aged if you want it to retain its hop flavor.

Big stouts and barleywines, like some of those that Avery itself brews, can develop (see "change") in a way that many people find appealing. Mephistopheles, The Beast, Samael's, and Uncle Jacob's, for instance all age very nicely and don't develop any cardboard or spoiled milk characteristics in a reasonable amount of time.

This thread is just rehashing basic aging criteria. Only age beers in styles that typically age well, and Warning: your aged beer might develop different characteristics after its been aged, which is kind of the point.

If you don't want to age your beer, don't. I however prefer to age some beer because from my experience they taste better afterward. I don't need a badly interpreted link to tell me what I prefer.

16. Pahn

watched the interview finally (i confess, i hate online videos about beer... whenever i see some guy look at a glass, take a really self-important sip, then swish the beer around in his mouth while he Stares Off In The Distance i want to choke on my own vomit... and when i see an amateur video with a CG opening i want to find the creator and kill them).

agree with everything they say, principle-wise, though personally i prefer hog heaven (and bigfoot, come on guys; it's bigfoot) aged. especially agree with them about aging american wilds and brett beers; haven't had an american wild that got better with age.

allouez86 likes this.
  17. Not getting around to an 07 czar was the genesis of my cellar. Thanks Avery!

18. Pahn

yeah, inadvertently aged mephistopheles + samaels, and intentionally (bar-) aged hog heaven were big arguments convincing me that cellaring could be a good idea. have had and completely loved aged czar too.

19. We did a blind 5 year vertical, and the 07 and 08 won out.