1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Avery Brewing - Momi Hiwa: Barrel-Aged Coconut Porter

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by BottleCaps80, May 30, 2013.

1. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (635) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

This sounds amazing!!!

[​IMG]

If this one doesn’t get your mouth watering, I don’t know what will. Avery’s 15th release in the barrel-aged series is coming up right on the heels of Volunt Plus, as they rapidly shift gears from a fruited sour ale to a rum barrel-aged coconut porter. Momi Hiwa will debut on June 9 at the brewery (although this apparently might see some distribution as well) in typical 12 ounce bottle format, delivering a heavy duty sipper weighing in at 16.19% ABV.
    Commercial description:
    “Much like a certain fabled two-piece candy bar of our youth, rich, dark chocolate notes accented with aromatic toasted coconut. What would ad depth and character to this already delicious combo, we wondered? The answer is time (6 months) well spent in the very best rum barrels available.”
    Only 362 cases were produced, so expect this one to move quickly. More info will be posted about the release once it’s available from the brewery.

2. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

Sorry, but for me, rum barrels & tequila barrels just don't work well for aging beer.

3. hope NY will see this. i need that in my life!

Denoas likes this.
  4. djre4orm

djre4orm Savant (355) Virginia Oct 21, 2011

It would be nice to see this distro'ed, either way ISO - even setting up a pretrade

5. BottleCaps80

Rum and coconut are made for eachother. I usually don't like rum barrel aged beers either, but I could see this working very well in this beer.

6. Uncle Jacobs was insane. Really looking forward to this

Caleb, Scotchboy, barfdiggs and 2 others like this.
  7. Day after SourFest eh? Looks like this should be a fun weekend.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  8. I've been meaning to do something similar with the rum barrel I got, wow now I need to try this!

barfdiggs, ehammond1 and FTowne like this.
  9. I'm dry heaving right now.

rails likes this.
  10. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

Sounds awesome. Question though, is there a reason Avery doesn't make larger batches of these barrel aged beers so they can go out on distribution, even if it has to be on a somewhat limited basis? I can't help but make a comparison to say, Founders, whose barrel aged bottlings are produced in larger quantities and go out on distribution.

11. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

Avery is in the processing of moving to a new facility so that will likely come with an increase in production. They have also identified that it is very difficult to find Rum Barrels so that is part of the reason why particular beers like Rumpkin are even smaller batches.

http://www.dailycamera.com/business...g-buys-property-new-brewery-northeast-boulder

CMUbrew and FTowne like this.
  12. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

They do hit distribution...at least Uncle Jacobs and Rumpkin have in the past.

13. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

Ah, now I think I remember reading a similar article on another site some time ago. Thanks for the info! Hopefully the new brewery and increased capacity will have a substantial impact on their barrel aged offerings.

14. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

The demand is definitely there, I know a lot of their recent barrel offerings have sold out at the release event so it would be silly to not make more.

CMUbrew and FTowne like this.
  15. Infinite1

Infinite1 Savant (360) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

I'd love to get my hands on that

16. Rumskull from Alesmith was awesome.

17. Much better than BA Numbskull.

Also, this new beer sounds quite tasty.

ehammond1 likes this.
  18. Infinite1

I wants it... Any trade takers ?

19. Damn it, I just saw the release date. I'm going to CO from 6/5-6/8..... Of course it would be a Sunday release.

20. Infinite1

Who do I kill for it

21. I loved Uncle Jacob and expect good thing from this beer as well. I'll be at the release picking up my allotment. They always have some great brewery only beers to taste at their release parties.

22. Sounds really good to me. Hope we see some down in San Diego.

23. McDiddyPop

McDiddyPop Savant (265) Florida Feb 9, 2008

Any idea how long stuff like this usually sticks around? Gonna be out west in 3 weeks and would love to score some in SD or SF if possible. Don't see these releases in FL unfortunately.

24. who wants some, I'll be going to get some for sure and will be there early pm with trade offers, cheers

25. jdhowe

jdhowe Savant (390) Georgia Mar 18, 2013

just texted a friend who lives near there (who enjoys beer but isn't really "in the know" about releases and isn't too active in that community), got a reply that implied you both needed a ticket for the release and that said tickets sold out very very quickly but I'm not 100% sure of the reliability of her source or information.

Is this true or does anyone have other information about the availability of this beer at its release?

26. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

Isn't this roughly the same amount produced as Rumpkin? That beer hit limited distro, so I would think that this one would as well.

27. jdhowe

jdhowe Savant (390) Georgia Mar 18, 2013

I'd like to think so, although I know admittedly little about Avery's offerings, particularly limited release things. Mostly I want to know (for them at least) if they (my friends) can drive over to Avery on the 9th and expect to get to enjoy and take home some of this. If it hits distro in NorCal is less of a concern for me (although it would be awesome to know as well)

28. You can't drink it at the release unless you open a bottle that you buy. They will give out tickets but it's when you are in line. They might be thinking about the Sourfest that is the day before.

29. what planet is this fool from, avery makes great beer, someone is a hater

Caleb likes this.
  30. I find it funny that a brewer that makes generally higher than average abv beers has the initials of AA.

JohnnyMc, WRW1978, 2181beer and 2 others like this.

31. Still pissed I missed out on that, as well as the Three Sheets Rum aged Victory at Sea.

32. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

Not quite, although this is much more than some of the recent sour releases they've done. Batch 1 of Rumpkin and Uncle Jacob bottles that received distro were both 512 cases each.

In a recent Google hangout I believe they mentioned Momi Hiwa hitting distro, but I don't know exactly what that means since their footprint is rather large.

FTowne likes this.
  33. annarose

annarose Aspirant (25) New York Jan 18, 2013

Sounds amazing.. hope it reaches Long island!

34. Infinite1

So the only way for me to get this it by trade ? It isn't going to be distributed, correct ?

35. The answer to your question is "i dunno". A lot of their limited offerings see some distro. the size of the batch makes it possible but it also depends on how much of it they sell at the brewery on release day and whether or not they specifically set aside any for distro. However, having lived in colorado, i can say for certain that there will be tons of people going there to mule 1-2 cases for themeselves and looking to trade. So, you sould be able to trade for it.

FTowne likes this.
  36. Infinite1

Thanks. I will keep an eye on this thread for a trade

37. 16.19% ABV is serious business. I want to get my hands on this..

38. Avery just posted and said it's over 17%

jmgrub likes this.
  39. BottleCaps80

Jesus.

40. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Avery is in my top five breweries. They have set the bar (imo) on a shit load of stuff. Huge, epic and flavorful beers. What's not to love!