1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Avery Rumpkin

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by UHCougar12, Oct 31, 2012.

1. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (475) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Called Specs Midtown and some guy said they don't have any and not getting any this year. Its sad when beer nerds know more about beer releases then when it is people's jobs...

dumptruck81 likes this.
  2. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

It's possible that conspiracy theories are correct. :(

I hate when it comes to that, but it's sadly a possibility.

"These aren't the droids you're looking for."

"Nothing to see here, move along."

3. Beernerds

Beernerds Aficionado (190) Texas Dec 7, 2011

I'm in the store right now and was told they're not getting any.

4. DanzBorin

This doesn't bode well considering they were supposed to get 4 cases. Must already be in someone's trunk. lol

5. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Means the 5 cases in Austin are gone.

6. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Aficionado (220) Texas Apr 12, 2012

Whole Foods has an On Premise License which means they can't sell any beer or wine over 17%... which I would bet is the reason it got kicked back. Same thing happened at CM.

7. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Mason Rd said Smith St got in 4 cases. This was last night.

8. kmello69

Sounds like some lying is afoot.....

9. thanismo

thanismo Disciple (55) Texas Oct 22, 2012

Went there 2 hours ago...dude checked right infront of me and said Houston haven't got any

10. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Is this higher ABV than last year? Because I bought 2 bottles at CM last year.

11. kmello69

Yes, its up to 18.1% this year. Has gone from 13 to 16 to 18 in its 3 years

12. canadianghetto

Since it looks like we got screwed here in Houston. Anyone in Austin want to trade? I've got a La Muerta for a Rumpkin if you are interested. I will be in Austin next week for Thanksgiving.

13. Lutter

Got any Freetail other than La Muerta? I might be motivated to leave the house and pick one up.

14. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (445) Texas Oct 12, 2006

Whoa, whoa, whoa. How many times have we heard information like this in the past, with Spec's and other retailers, and it turned out to be incorrect or the timing was a little off? Let's not automatically jump to "OMG THEY KEPT IT ALL FOR THEMSELVES! GET THE PITCHFORKS!"

15. kmello69

I was just jokin, bro. No good emoticon for smirky face or sarcastic eye-roll. :p

16. canadianghetto

So I had gone down to Specs Midtown since I hadn't been there in awhile anyways and talked to their beer guy. He seemed to know what was going on and didn't know why he was not getting any. Seemed to be some dispute between the rep and the distributor. I apologize for earlier blasting them for conflicting information and I hope it all works out for us in the end.

17. BeanBone

NOW I'M MAD FOR NOTHING! ;)

18. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (370) Texas Dec 28, 2011

Done...

19. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (315) Texas Oct 21, 2008

They still have bottles at South Lamar Wine & Spirits when I stopped in at lunch time today. It's in the back so ask for it.

20. Lutter

Picked up a bottle at South Lamar Wine for canadianghetto ... still seemed to have more.

canadianghetto likes this.
  21. kmello69

What I want to know is how did SLWS get *2* cases out of only 5 in the whole city.

Specs is out, so whatever South Lamar has left is all thats left in the city, unless more somehow shows up

22. DanzBorin

I was hoping to get this. Next to Uncle Jacob's, it's my favorite Avery. Oh well, we can hope a keg shows up.

23. mindswoop

mindswoop Aficionado (220) Texas Dec 22, 2011

I could only find 1 bottle. But considering the word last month that Texas wasn't getting any, I'm happy with my single. I was also fortunate enough to grab a couple bottles of this lil gem while in CO last month...
    [​IMG]

bccocx likes this.
  24. icetrauma

On my way in today, I called Spec's Holcombe and the beer guy said only store 62 has it in stock in Tx. Yes, that's in Austin and it conflicts with what the Mason Rd beer guy told me last night.

25. mindswoop

I was there yesterday at 2ish and the beer guy claimed it was gone already. That guy always holds back anything rare for his buddies (I guess you're lucky if you're one of them). Total BS. Way to kill your potential beer geek customer base.

26. BeanBone

His friends, or regular customers he looks after?

27. icetrauma

The Holcombe guy said they still had some in stock.

28. kmello69

Right. But Mindswoops point was that if you ask, they say they're out, so obviously what they DO have they're holding on to.

That used to be my regular Specs, but I got tired of the fact that every time I asked the beer guy about something I knew they had in the back, there was a 1-2 second pause while he thought about whether to tell me about it or not. It was just too obvious

mindswoop likes this.
  29. icetrauma

It sucks that Specs has such a strong hold on the craft beer scene in Tx. I'm all for putting it in the back if ya got it and giving it out on an asked only basis but, I deplore the holding it back aspect of things. Not everyone has mucho dinero for beer funds and would like to enjoy the limited releases as much as the next guy.

30. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

I love the 'in the back' policy, but only because I make friends with every beer guy I come across. No homo

31. icetrauma

You got the back door hook up eh?

no homo

BK1017 likes this.
  32. Wingfan13

Wingfan13 Aficionado (180) Texas Aug 10, 2009

That's odd. HEB sells DFH 120.

33. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

120 was in the 15 or 16's this year in actual TABC testing if I remember the thread info correctly.

On the other hand I thought HEB could sell up to 18% and someone in this thread said it was 17% so take my opinions with a grain of salt. Regardless it's good to know that HEB will not get this. That leaves less places in FW to search. I expect Specs and Total and this other place I call beer nirvana, Halls.

34. Ahaley

Ahaley Aficionado (120) Texas Dec 24, 2009

Spec's Airport still had some tonight. Limit 4.

35. icetrauma

What's the price point and if any of you Austin bro's want to trade some Bodacious or Yule Shoot Your Eye Out, hit me up via BM.

UHCougar12 likes this.
  36. mindswoop

Since they only got one case and it was well hidden...doubtful on the 4 bottles.

37. mindswoop

Exactly. That place was much better when Dustin was still there. He was always willing to help anyone who walked in the door. This guy acts like you're wasting his time.

38. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

I can say with a good deal of certainty that more than 5 cases of Rumpkin hit the Austin area...

39. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

If any Austinites want to trade a bottle of rumpkin for dr12, pumpkinator, bodacious, or merry mischief let me know

40. kmello69

Its possible that more came in. When I got mine at Airport, they had 20 left. I bought 3, guy after me bought 4, and someone else got 2. That would have left them 11, and that was a few days ago, so if they still have more and are limiting 4, they must have gotten more.