1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Avery Uncle Jacob Variants

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Graviz, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Graviz

Graviz Savant (280) Colorado Feb 26, 2012

I don't know about all of you but I actually prefer UJ over BCBS. The only thing they don't have is variants of it. I would love to see some vanilla, coffee, cherry or original variants of UJ. Thoughts?
  2. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (420) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

I prefer UJ as well and love the way it's drinking right now. Could care less about variants, or lack of.
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  3. Avery doesn't have the capacity. I would rather they come up with new limited beers instead of making variants.
  4. b0rderman

b0rderman Aficionado (160) Colorado May 18, 2010

Agreed. You can always add the peppermints in the glass anyway.
  5. Steve_0

Steve_0 Savant (265) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

I wouldn't mind seeing some variants and I definitely think it is better than BCBS. Drinks much smoother - had them side by side just this weekend.
  6. Graviz

I bet if they did it you might feel differently. Ever heard of the variant called Tweak? :) I also enjoy it as it drinks right now but I also know what the guys at avery are capable of.
  7. All this talk about UJ is going to have me take a couple bottles out of the stash and put them in the fridge for this coming weekend.
  8. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Tweak is Meph base, whereas Uncle Jacob is a completely new beer for them - just throwing that out there.
  9. tacosandbeer

I love Tweak. They definitely got it right.
  10. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

If they ever bottle Tweak ya'll are going to have to kill me to keep me from buying it all up.
    denver10 likes this.
  11. No problem!
    denver10 likes this.
  12. Graviz

Aren't they expanding this year? Can't we have both? :D
  13. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (255) Colorado Oct 18, 2009

AAANNNNDDDDYYYY!!!!! The people CONTINUE to speak!!! Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please BOTTLE TWEAK!!!
    :cool:
    chicano4craft and denver10 like this.
  14. I wish they would bottle Eremita too.
  15. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Right now, I would just be happy with a bottle/glass of the regular Uncle Jacobs. I know I have seen bottles at a couple drinking spots/bars around town, but UJ is more of a beer I would rather drink at home, relaxed and able to sip slowly.

A coffee UJ sounds pretty damn good to me.
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  16. Graviz

+1 Also if it's a production issue do a brewery only release like the good ole days.
  17. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (655) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

They can't even bottle Uncle Jacob's til later this year.... let's wait until they get into their new facility, then hit 'em hard to bottle tweak :D
    gklover1 and SFACRKnight like this.
  18. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I'd rather see tweak get bottled than have UJ coffee. I wish I had the self control I needed to save a few bottles though. Maybe next time I guess.:oops:
    denver10 likes this.
  19. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I agree; I would rather a bottled Tweak than a Coffee UJ.
  20. SFACRKnight

I'm pretty happy to see parrys pizza in castle rock is going to be a part of avery's tap takeover on april 27th. I guess they are trying to break a world record and make this the largest tap takeove in history. Hopefully tweak will be coming to me...
  21. Domingo

Tweak is pretty much flawless as is, so IMO there's no real need to mess with it, barrels or not.
  22. Graviz

Keep in mind Tweak is pretty much a variant of mephistopheles. Without creative "tweaking" we wouldn't have ever had the meph addict pleasure...i mean tweak. ;)
  23. uncle jacob variants and also there needs to be KBS variants
  24. SFACRKnight

Who needs KBS when we get UJ and Parabola?
    imperialbeerdude likes this.
  25. tacosandbeer

Then Abyss variants, Bitch's Brews variants, Sea Monster variants, World Wide Stouts variants, etc... Then when they're done with that maybe they can pull an Eclipse with all those beers. Oh yeah, throw Parabola into the mix. Long live craft!
  26. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Advocate (660) Colorado Apr 5, 2012

I liked BA Bourbon Tweak better than Tweak, that was nearly flawless to me.
  27. Prospero

Off topic, but was Tweak only brewed once and retired? (like the BA page suggests) I just had it at Vine Street Friday February 8th.
  28. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

I don't think so. It's Meph Addict and I think there have been multiple batches. I'm sure Andy will jump in before too long to straighten us out.
  29. Whoa... you go to do some work for once and the interwebz are on fire.

I'll go for an itemized list. Way easier.

1. Tweak is not retired, but it is only made once a year. Pretty simple... Mephistopheles' Stout with a whole lotta cold coffee toddy. So I can only make it when we make Meph. The last two years I've made approximately 50 x 5 gallon kegs of it and we portion them out over the year. We still haven't really talked about bottling it... I think it would be difficult to pull off in our current brewery.

2. The Parry's Pizza takeovers (30 Avery beers at each of 3 Parry's) will have a lot of beer. Tweak is currently on the list for all three places.

3. I still prefer normal Tweak to that single barrel of Bourbon Barrel Tweak, but that doesn't mean that it won't happen again. I think it was a fun experiment. I think I could improve it by only leaving it in the barrel for 3 months or less...

4. Uncle Jacob's variants are always possible, but it's in such high demand that I don't have a whole lot of extra beer to play with. So I haven't ruled out some one-off experiments, but I also haven't done a lot of research. So many beers to make, so little time...

5. We *could* bottle any of the Eremita series, but from a personal standpoint it's very satisfying to be able to make a draft-only sour series for our Tap Room. I'm constantly amazed at how many people come into the TR asking for sour beers. But of course many of them take between a year and three years to make. Even our largest sour bottling runs aren't that big, and most of those bottles end up at our distributors... if we could have quadrupled the size of every barrel aged batch we've made our distributors would have snapped them up in seconds. Which means that kegs are scarce if they exist at all.

On top of that, it's difficult to describe how much extra work, expense, and time goes into a single-batch bottling run. It kind of goes like this: 1. Make a beer that we feel is awesome enough to bottle and keg. 2. Come up with a name and label. 3. Send the label to the feds. 4. Hope it goes through. 5. If it goes through, organize a debarreling date. 6. Organize a bottling date. 7. Organize the printing of labels. 8. Organize the bottling labor, including many extra hours of cleaning. 9. Organize extra hours for our lab to do extra testing on everything. 10. Get the label and keg rings legal in any state we want to send them to. 11. Finally bottle the beer months later. I could add another 10 mini-steps, but you get the point.

It is so incredibly satisfying to do the much more streamlined version, which goes like this: 1. Make a beer that we feel is awesome enough to bottle and keg. 2. Organize a debarreling date. 3. Organize a kegging date. 4. Put it on tap and drink it.

Eremita V, which went on last week, was actually as large a blend as Oud Floris. So now we get to have a sour beer on draft for at least a couple of months, which is great for the locals, for people who have never tried a sour beer, and for us (the Avery staff drinks a lot of the Eremita series)...

Alright. That was longer than expected. I'm really not good with the whole "brevity" thing. Back to work...

Andy Parker
    Barrel Herder
    Avery Brewing Company
  30. Prospero

That's another one I'd like to see again, simply amazing.
  31. Graviz

Thanks a ton for all the answers. It's great to have someone that works in the business willing to take time out your day to read all of the suggestions and actually respond. Cheers to Andy!
  32. Lucky Pie still has some bottles for onsite consumption
  33. Domingo

Sounds like I'm going to have to get to and from Parry's pizza while still managing to drink all of their Tweak.
    Challenge accepted.
    denver10 likes this.
  34. Well, Domingo... there are three locations of Parry's Pizza. And each one is currently slated for a 5 gallon of Tweak.

Good luck.
  35. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

ISO: Pictures of Domingo after he drinks 15 gallons of Tweak.
    denver10 and ssteigerwald like this.
  36. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Dibs on his cellar when he dies. Actually, I think it would probably be more like those Crank movies with Jason Statham.
    Domingo and Kuester like this.