1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Avery - Uncle Jacob's stout

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Mar02x, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Mar02x

Mar02x Savant (320) Netherlands Aug 29, 2011

I am just curious; what would it take to land 14 bottles of Uncle Jacob's Stout from Avery. I don't know anything about it.
    - Is it annually released?
    - Can you buy it of the shelf?
    - Is there an allotment?
    - Is it expensive to buy?
    - etc.

I would like to pour this beer on a little beer fest I am organizing in Holland.

Cheers Mark
  2. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

It's limited. And I'm pretty sure it is expensive. It's the same series as rumpkin and that's around 20$ for a 12 ounce. Most of averys barrel beers are. Trying to find it myself. Good luck
  3. Ratman197

Ratman197 Savant (365) Colorado Aug 11, 2007

It's an annual release and it sells for around $10 a bottle in Colorado. It can be bought on the shelf in Colorado,I don't know if it's distributed out of state.
  4. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I have one bottle in stock, trade value was $10. At 18% it might be pretty damn limited, NC has a 15% law.
  5. If I remember correctly (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) they made about 700 cases of Uncle Jacob's, so it isn't exactly "rare" but given that it was Brewery Only release, it is fairly limited. I don't know if there was a bottle limit or not but at $10 per 12 oz. bottle, it may be difficult to find someone who purchased more than 14 of them that they are willing to trade. You will probably have to work out multiple trades to land 14 of these. Not sure when your Beerfest is being held but they should be releasing Uncle Jacob's again this year. Probably around the same time as last year, in April. This is a phenominal brew. Hope this helps. Good luck OP!
  6. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

I've tried a bit to acquire UJ in the past and it seemed there was very very little around. Interestingly,I never knew it was a brewery only release given that Rumpkin was distributed.
    Anyone have any info on this years UJ? Bottle numbers,distro,release date?
    Thanks for the help!
    Cheers!
  7. frogfan

frogfan Savant (350) Texas Sep 4, 2009

It's not brewery only - bought a bottle in TX last summer when it was released -- $10.
    lokieman likes this.
  8. it made it into distribution. bottles in Boston were $13-$15 a piece. i cant remember exactly. only knew of one store that even got them tho. hoping to get some this year.
  9. Found 1 bottle here in VA for about $13 . A local store received an unexpected case . Don't think it made it to the shelves .
  10. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

You can get your 14 bottles if you really want to. Assuming the production is as big this year as last and it doesn't get really coveted by the local market, it will be on shelves in Colorado at less traveled stores for a little while.

If it hangs around on shelves here, you can PayPal me money and I can send you a box to help out. That and some combination of trading should get you there if production is comparable size. BM me to discuss if you want.
  11. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Also, I don't know how this affects your plans, but this was just posted on an Uncle Jacobs thread in the US Mountain forum:

Unfortunately, it'll be a much later release this year... we had to push it back for a couple of months because we simply didn't have the tank capacity to put it anywhere. At this point, we don't really have a good estimate of when it will be released. I can't see it coming out before summertime, and probably later than that.

Such is life at a brewery running at full capacity...

Andy Parker
    Senior Brewer/Barrel Herder
    Avery Brewing Company
    gpawned likes this.
  12. karink

karink Aficionado (135) California Nov 28, 2009

The bottles says that there were 694 cases produced , every store in Los Angeles only receive one cases I believe. I think you can get it done too in multiple trades. Btw I have one 1 can part with
  13. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

I've landed a total of about 10 bottles of UJ throughout the year, takes some semi-limited or local goods but nothing crazy to get. The bottles are 10$ a piece so landing 14 at once would be next to impossible. Hoping they will re-release it this year, big and boozy and with some age it should be great!
  14. When is your tasting? I might be able to help you out.
  15. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

I got a couple in Aspen only a month ago. $10, but still out there.

Had one in April after they were released and it was HOT. Had one a coupe weeks ago and the booze really mellowed out and was very good. IMHO.
  16. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

It's still hot, but hell, it's 17.42%! For that kind of booze it wasn't too bad, and it was delicious in any case. Maybe a little too sweet for me. As an aside, I don't know whether it should be expected to get more or less sweet over time?
    gpawned and Mar02x like this.
  17. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

I managed 5 bottles in Austin, TX last year...if I put my mind to it I could have tracked down several more I'm sure. Not terribly difficult to come by...and worth the effort. Love this brew...
  18. Last year I got a bottle at the local retailer in the Chicago suburbs for like $15 and worth every penny.
  19. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (345) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

if you look at a bottle of it i believe it says 442 or 448 cases of uncle Jacobs was brewed....
  20. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

the bottle says 694 cases, bottled 3/27/2012.
  21. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (345) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

ha i must be thinking of the rumpkin then :)
    thanks for checking that out :)
  22. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

pretty sure i've seen it in philly for about $20+ each. cant believe its still sitting there. o_O
  23. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Where??? Didn't realize it made it to ILL....
  24. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (255) Colorado Oct 18, 2009

As joshclauss said, releasing late this year. First things first...when is your tasting (in terms of fiilling your order with the new batch)? At the release, after the line clears (which it has for EVERY BA release from Avery so far except one), you can buy as much as you want. (So lame that those Avery jerks go and make enough beer to make everyone happy, as opposed to small releases so it can be held hostage!! <---sarcasm)

Sounds like you might have some luck STILL finding Batch 1 on multiple trades from random places. This surprises me, as this beer is awesome...though incredibly hot (still!). Had one recently...the couple I have left will age for some time before I try again. It is a stellar beer. I am almost tempted to race you to get to those one offs that are still lurking...
  25. Mar02x

Mar02x Savant (320) Netherlands Aug 29, 2011

The festival is held on the 4th of May - The name: Zeebra Extreme Beer Festival. It is for us the first time to organize a festival, but it is coming together. We tend to keep it small in size to keep it workable. The theme is, as the title says, pushing the envelope beers, from around the world. The setting will be much the same as the O.B.E.R. Kerstbier festival, held annually in Essen Belgium.