1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Avery's 14th BA Release this Saturday, May 4

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Tarheel4985, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Looks like #14 in the Barrel-Aged series is finally coming, and sooner than expected, considering the label I saw showed a bottling date of May 12. Volunt Plus Erat ("Wish there was more" in Latin), a sour aged for 14 months in neutral Zin barrels, brewed with Cabernet Franc Grape Must and dosed with brett, lacto and pedio. Looks like they're releasing 55 cases and holding 23 (up from the 50 and 21 on the label).

Release is this Saturday, May 4 at Avery at 5:00 pm. $8/bottle and limit of 6 bottles/person. Here's the Facebook event from Avery:

https://www.facebook.com/events/191391937676926/?ref=3

And the label posted by mybeerbuzz.com:

http://mybeerbuzz.blogspot.com/2013/04/avery-barrel-aged-series-no-14-volunt.html

Too bad I'll be out of town. I've really enjoyed nearly all of Avery's BA series, especially the sours.

2. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (655) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

If anyone is planning on going from Denver and is willing to grab 2-3 bottles for me, please let me know, not sure I can make this either. I'll gladly repay you+ for your time.

3. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Damn, I was very nearly going to have to miss out. Rearranged some plans to make it happen, but this totally came out of left field.

coreymcafee likes this.
  4. Excited for this. Probably won't make it to distribution right?

5. quine

quine Savant (260) Colorado Feb 15, 2011

I'll be out of town for this, and I'd also love to buy a bottle or two from someone, if possible.

6. Graviz

Graviz Savant (280) Colorado Feb 26, 2012

7. This one sounds good but the next one (rum barrel coconut porter) sounds even better!!!

denver10 likes this.
  8. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (655) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Let's hope it's not named, "Et tunc non fuerunt talia"

SFACRKnight and tacosandbeer like this.
  9. Beer from the future is the rarest

narayan and Penguin3200 like this.
  10. claspada

claspada Advocate (630) New Jersey Sep 27, 2007

Wish it was coming out the 12th, when I will be visiting from (way) out of town. Let me know if anyone is able to snag some "extras" and would want to do an IP of some sort.

11. Graviz

You're saying this beer is nuclear?!?

kwijibo61 likes this.
  12. That's funny. My guess is that they moved up the release date so it wouldn't conflict as much with Samael's release (8th), Mother's Day (the 12th) and the release of their 20th Anniversary beer, which is the week after, I think.

coreymcafee likes this.
  13. Our bottling line is just that good. It costs a little extra to buy a line that can bottle beer from the future, but I think it's worth it.

The label on that press release was an early mockup. the date on the actual labels is May 2, as we're bottling it this Thursday. Although after seeing this post I went to go check the labels and make sure I didn't get the date wrong...

Andy Parker
    Barrel Herder, Avery Brewing Company

14. Graviz

Have you tried this one yet? Is it more sour or is it more like Recolete/Muscat? Also when do you think the coconut porter will be out?

15. I've tried it many many times... Volunt was in barrels for over a year, then the blind blending sessions, then into a small tank about six weeks ago.

On Recolte and Muscat, we were aiming for wild ales, not sour ales. So we used different Brettanomyces strains on them (along with whatever was living on the grapes), but no lactic acid-producing bacteria. On Volunt, we had two goals... to make a grape/beer hybrid that showcases the grapes, and to use our house pediococcus to sour it. We made a 100% Brettanomyces-fermented blonde ale so that all the color would come from the grapes, then filled some previously used barrels so that all the grape influence would come from the fruit, not the barrels. It's a very different monster than Recolte and Muscat for sure. Much lighter on the palate than Recolte, nice lactic sourness with a tinge of acetic... I can't wait to start pairing it with meals at home. I think it'll go well with my morning bagel.

The coconut porter is still a month off... we're waiting for the feds to say that we can make it, but I'm also working to find a tank to put it in for the coconut addition. With any luck I can pull it out of the barrels next week, but it'll be another month before we can get labels approved, get them printed, make sure that the tank passes all of our lab tests, etc...

16. Steve_0

Steve_0 Savant (265) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

I know there are going to be a bunch of cool beers on tap, but are you also allowed to bottle share at these releases?

17. Ya... sharing bottles is cool.

Beer is made for sharing, after all.

drumrboy22 and coreymcafee like this.
  18. Graviz

Speaking of taps, do you have your tap list for saturday? :D

tacosandbeer likes this.
  19. We're a little late on the tap list, as we were a little rushed on this release party. We were waiting for label approval, which delayed a few things.

We should have a final list by tomorrow (I hope), but it will most likely include Tweak, Moloch, Eremita IV, and some fun tap room specials. I think we have a 5-gallon of the Chai Brown left from the last batch, and that stuff is killer...

coreymcafee likes this.
  20. Infinite1

Infinite1 Savant (335) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

Send me some

21. tjmodica

tjmodica Savant (340) Texas Oct 2, 2007

I would like to get 3 bottles of Volunt Plus Erat, offering up 3 big Texas stouts 512-WBDPP, JK- Weasel rodeo, SS- Black crack. Anybody with 3 bottles to trade send me a beer mail if these beers listed don't do it for you. I have 1-13 in this series and my friend who lives in Boulder is in Texas this weekend.

22. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

If anyone didn't get to try this yet, it is indeed unbelievable. I'm not a huge fan of Chai but it works perfectly in this beer.

You guys need to bottle/can that stuff (also that Dunkel you had on tap for a while)!

23. bshaf

bshaf Zealot (85) Texas Jan 15, 2010

i know there is already a texan offering trades in this thread..

but i'll be there on sat and can bring some beers if anyone wants something from texas

have jester king boxers revenge, el cedro, ru-55, 512 whiskey barrel double pecan porter from 2012 and 2013.. have a bunch of freetail too

i'd be interested in previous avery barrel aged stuff and any other sours.. or whatever just message me

24. Anyone see a tap list yet for tomorrow? Gotta see what I'll use to chase Tweak.

denver10 likes this.
  25. We haven't been quite organized enough to post a tap list, but here are the beers I compiled yesterday for the release party:

1. Tweak
    2. Moloch
    3. Eremita IV
    4. Eremita V
    5. Chai Brown
    6. Beast '11
    7. Trogdor the Burninator

8. Hand of Buddha
    9. Dry Hopped IPA (Amarillo)
    10. Barrel-Aged Brett Salvation
    So... 1 barrel aged wild, 2 barrel aged sours, 1 barrel aged non-sour, 1 Imperial Coffee Stout, 1 Beast, 1 smoked doppelbock, 3 other Tap Room Specialties for more normal drinkin'. Rock.

26. Thanks, Andy. I think I speak for everyone when I say thanks for providing so much info and feedback to us on this forum. Looking forward to tomorrow.

coreymcafee, tacosandbeer and Steve_0 like this.
  27. Steve_0

Steve_0 Savant (265) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

Good thing I have a DD.

28. Graviz

What time is everyone heading up there?

29. Im already in line

30. But seriously we plan to be there at 4.

31. bitromp

bitromp Zealot (80) Colorado May 23, 2012

Planning on getting there around 4 as well.

32. If anyone is coming down from Fort Collins, I'd love a couple bottles of Funkwerks Nelson Sauvin. I'm visiting from Michigan and have drank all the bottles I brought (except a Heady which I could toss ya), but would be willing to send something out or work something else out.

Cheers.

33. scray24

scray24 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 12, 2008

Assume this sold out but confirmation would be appreciated....

ssteigerwald likes this.
  34. bitromp

bitromp Zealot (80) Colorado May 23, 2012

Just before they began selling bottles they mentioned that there were people at the back of the line who were going to be leaving disappointed. Based on the size of the line just after 5pm I'd assume that they sold out.

35. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (315) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

If you showed up after 4 you were assed out.

36. Yep, we were in line at four and received the last three sets of six tickets.

37. scray24

scray24 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 12, 2008

Thanks gents. Hope it was good.

38. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (315) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

I didn't get any but I tried a bottle and yes, it's great. Considering that you gave up a beautiful spring Saturday in Colorado to score I bottle or six, you're a fool if you trade this for anything less than BAVDL. 1 spring Saturday in CO> 10 yrs in Indiana.

39. Haha. As someone that grew up in Indy I totally agree. Hope it was a good time. I was hoping to make it but decided a Fou was good enough for me considering I'd have to drag my kids along. Cheers!