1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Awesome Head to Head Battles!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by VelvetExtract, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Put a bottle of Lagunitas Sucks next to a bottle of Itahaca Flower Power. Found that they are very similar. Flower Power was the victor...anyway I would love to hear some exceptional Mano-a-Mano beer battles; and who won?
  2. dap325

dap325 Aficionado (190) New York Apr 2, 2009

Recently put Brooklyn Sorachi Ace vs Ommegang Hennepin. Both are awesome but Hennepin won for me. Sucks vs Flower Power is a tough one, but I'd be in the Lagunitas camp at the current moment. I only say this because Nugget Nectar isn't available in my area yet. I'm excited to try this years batch.
  3. Did the sucks v Flower power last night. Flower power surprisingly won. I am drinking FP tonight.

Enjoy
    DrewCapzz likes this.
  4. FozzieThaBurr

FozzieThaBurr Disciple (65) Feb 8, 2013

Both Sucks vs. FP and Sorachi Ace vs. Hennepin are unfair.

The two IPAs use very different hop profiles. I have to say that I would choose FP by a hair, but the two are brilliant in their own rights.

Comparing saisons is almost impossible. The style has such a range that it's really difficult to do any real comparison. Sorachi Ace is designed to spotlight the Sorachi Ace hops, which makes it lemony-grassy and fantastic. Hennepin, however, is not just one of the best readily availably saisons but one of the best readily available beers in the country, imho.
    ant880 and TongoRad like this.
  5. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (645) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

Biggest head to head I ever did was actually 3 compared.

Heady Topper vs Pliny the Elder vs Hopslam

Heady took it, hands down
  6. I love how Hennepin is so stately, dry and restrained. Not all saisons are like that- some may say that the best ones have quite different qualities. I enjoy them all for what they are; at a certain point all beers reach a distinctive echelon, and it is unwise to compare those beers to each other. They all have their own attributes that satisfy different needs.
  7. A friend and I have a Black Note vs KBS vs Bourbon County vs BA Plead the 5th show-off next week. The only one I haven't tried is BCBS and I predict this:

Black Note > BAPt5 > KBS > BCBS

I will update with results next week.
    brewbetter likes this.
  8. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Washington Sep 12, 2012

I'm just about to do a very similar showdown;
    HT vs Zombie Dust vs Hopslam

EDIT: I know ZD isn't an IIPA.
    mcrago likes this.
  9. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (645) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

I enjoy ZD over hopslam, but make sure if you try those side by side you drink ZD first, the other 2 will do too much damage (in a good way) to your palate to be able to fairly compare those. Enjoy though, cheers
    SatlyMalty likes this.
  10. HoistinBrews

HoistinBrews Savant (370) Minnesota Mar 26, 2011

I did a Hopslam vs. Abrasive last night. Slight advantage Abrasive but I could see if in the mood for a sweeter DIPA Hopslam would take the lead.
    Either way you win.
  11. Old Raspy vs Founders Imperial Stout......... who wins? I dunno, all I know is I get knocked out!
  12. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

BA rasptuin vs BA blackout. Rasptuin all the way
    Stockfan42 likes this.
  13. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (260) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

World Wide Stout vs. my current level of sobriety

Aaannnnddd....go!
    Kerrie, larryi86, AmitC and 5 others like this.
  14. Damn. Now I don't want to try Flower Power. I'll get slaughtered for saying it, but I find Sucks to be an unbalanced mess. I don't make Molotov cocktails from the empty bottles. I buy as much as I can and douse it in gasoline while still full, and torch it.
    beertunes likes this.
  15. I agree there! However, Hopslam is a touch sweeter this year than previous. Still awesome, though.
    HoistinBrews likes this.
  16. Enjoy By vs Pliny.

Pliny, do to balance and mouth feel.
  17. Troeg's Java Head vs. Lagunitas Cappachino Stout

Lagunitas came out victorious... barely.... both are fantastic ways to start a long day of drinking.
  18. Great divide fresh hop pale ale vs sn northern hemisphere hahvest, sn wins with just a fuller flavor and feel
  19. Id love to see NC IPAs/IIPAs paired head to head against fresh Head Hunter and Columbus Brewing Co. IPA/Bodhi with some NC people around. Id love to prove a point once and for all that those OH IPAs are qualititatively better.
    Extravadanza likes this.
  20. I did a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and Narwhal side by side a few weeks age. 2 awesome brews, the same style but very different from each other. Unable to pick a winner but there was not a loser!
    Kerrie and djsmith1174 like this.
  21. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (790) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

KTG vs Southampton IRS vs DL vs Darkness vs Sexual Chocolate (infected, so removed)

4 people blind test.

KTG got 2 first place votes with Southampton a close second.

Southampton got 2 first place votes with KTG a close second

Darkness third for everyone

DL fourth
    LostTraveler likes this.
  22. ColdOne

ColdOne Savant (285) New York Jan 19, 2013

Alright, yet another potential newbie question: how can two guys do a blind tasting together without another person around to pour?
  23. MNBEERFAN

MNBEERFAN Zealot (75) Minnesota Nov 11, 2012

Superbowl Sunday I did a DIPA comparison: Sucks, Abrasive, Myrcenary, Hop Henge. Three of us did the tasting blind and came up with a different order for the first three but Hopslam and Hop Henge were in the bottom for everyone. For me it was

Myrcenary > Sucks > Abrasive > Hopslam > Hop Henge
  24. djrn2

For mine we had four People do blind and a fifth person poor. That poorer is irellavant I thought and didn't need to be mentioned.
  25. Ten Fidy vs Founders Imperial Stout FIS wins.
    Sublimely Self Righteous vs Wooky Jack wow not sure what I liked more
  26. mcrago

mcrago Savant (335) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

Tonight, me and a very lucky friend are drinking the following:
    Lagunitas Sucks
    HopSlam
    Zombie Dust

Then we're going heavy:
    Bourbon Barrel Aged Dragon's Milk
    Bell's Black Note
    Bourbon County Coffee Stout

I've already had all of them, and Zombie Dust and BCCS will be my winners. I'm more curious what his opinions will be...
  27. wait a minute. Infected Sexy Chocolate? What year was it, and was it aged. Ive never heard of infected SC.
  28. mcrago

mcrago Savant (335) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

Pliny hands down for me. Stone not even comparible to Russian River for me...
  29. About to begin day two of New England Snowpocalypse beer showdown. Hill Farmstead Double Galaxy is winning so far with Zombie Dust and Heady rounding out top three. About an hour away from cracking a growler of HF Abner and a Susan for later. The 12/27 Plinys are past prime, two weeks ago they were still delicious. Don't quite understand the hype with Abraisive and Hopslam, they can't touch the Doub Galaxy, Heady or fresh Pliny.

[​IMG]
  30. Recently tried Breakfast Stout versus Wake N Bake and I hate to say it but the WNB took the trophy.
    nickapalooza86 and woosterbill like this.
  31. The beer I drank vs the beer I'm drinking.

Who wins?

I do.
    nickapalooza86 and djsmith1174 like this.
  32. Have done that exact same showdown...Pliny was the clear cut standout for me. In the end, we are the winners and it goes goes to highlight, it's all subjective, although I'll take Younger over them all in a heartbeat.
    dman127 likes this.
  33. Over the last two months I've done the following:

Heady vs Pliny (Heady won)
    Narwhal vs Ted Fidy (Narwhal won)
    BCBS vs KBS (BCBS won)
    BCBS vs Parabola (BCBS won)
    FW XV vs FW XVI (XV won)
  34. Sierra Nevada northern harvest wet hop vs. founders harvest in a battle of the wet hops. Founders squeaked out a close victory.
  35. I typically label the bottom of the glasses with some masking tape, pour, shuffle, and have the other person bring them over to the table.
    ColdOne likes this.
  36. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

A few month ago I did BCBS vs. Central Waters BBS. The result was not even close. If you have to ask, BCBS.
  37. djrn2

Me either. It was a shock to all of us. It was a 2010.
  38. are you sure it wasnt oxidized.
  39. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

Citra and Aroma Coma. Citra by a whisker.... maybe
  40. morimech

morimech Advocate (665) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

In the "Another Sucks" thread a couple weeks back I did an Abrasive vs. Sucks head-to-head. They taste remarkably similar. Each has its merits and tough to declare a winner. I like Sucks because of its availability and price.