1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Awesome Head to Head Battles!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by VelvetExtract, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Recently did Deschutes Red Chair vs Lagunitas New Dogtown. I thought it would be closer, but Red Chair won in convincing fashion.

luwak likes this.
  2. raoulduke37

raoulduke37 Savant (255) California Dec 31, 2008

Now I really need to try it, since it took down my two favorite IPA's to date.

3. Totally... Enjoy By super fresh is right up there though.

4. dman127

dman127 Aficionado (240) Illinois Jul 11, 2011

Did the same lineup with my son a couple of weeks ago. Pliny was #1 for us. Then Heady and Hopslam. Would be very happy with any of the three!

5. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Did this as well, also throwing the 'wake n moo' combo in the mix. Wake n Moo for the win
    Did ten fidy vs FIS too - I don't remember the winner

6. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

[​IMG]

luwak likes this.
  7. PDXHops

PDXHops Savant (475) South Carolina Nov 19, 2008

Terrapin is hit and (mostly) miss for me, but WNB is great stuff.

8. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

put in a brown bag, pour, compare and open bags after.

ColdOne and pweis909 like this.
  9. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (705) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Put bottles in brown paper bags so labels can't be seen. Each of you plays shell game with the bags when the other isn't looking. Label one bag A and one bag B. Pour two glasses of A, two glasses of B. Taste.

luwak and ColdOne like this.
  10. DangerDawg

DangerDawg Savant (325) Ohio Dec 8, 2008

My brother-in-law and I did Zombie Dust vs White Rajah. I liked the ZD a little better, and he chose WR. In the end though, we were the real winners!

11. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (405) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

A few I remember off the top of my head.

Ted Fidy > Narwhal > Old Rasputin

Myrcenary > Pliny > Hop Stoopid

luwak likes this.
  12. beer geek weasel v founders breakfast stout. i know they're not exactly the same, but i think the weasel is better. regular beer geek brunch is not close to bfast stout tho

luwak likes this.
  13. Alright, well have been drinking a ton of Sucks lately and popped across the river to buy a 4 pack of Abrasive today, and man all I could think was "this tastes like a beefed up Sucks with a touch more bitter and better flavor" But I will have to agree with you on Sucks taking the cake for price point that is for damn sure!

morimech likes this.
  14. morimech

morimech Advocate (675) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Exactly. Is Abrasive worth almost twice the price? Well that is up to the individual.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  15. I've had both Pliny and Hopslam in recent weeks, and I keep getting my introduction to Heady delayed the last few weeks. My bro-in-law got some and will finally be trying it next week. Have to say I liked Pliny more than Hopslam.

16. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

Its really not a match .....heady is insanely impressive

17. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

(1) get indistinguishable glasses (one of many reasons that it is nice to have a set of 8 - 12 identical tasters)
    (2) write the name of beer of a piece of tape. tape to bottom of glass
    (3) pour beers into appropriately labeled glasses
    (4) mix them up like a game of three card/cup monty/shell game
    (5) drink make notes
    (6) turn over cups at the end to reveal identity

Doesn't work as well if beers are significantly different in color or in head/foam produced...

18. I guess it explains why I am on my 6th 6er of Sucks and just grabbed my first 4 pack of Abrasive! Not to take away from the beer but for almost double the price for not even a full 6 packs worth of beer it is just hard to justify getting Abrasive over Sucks when I can grab um both nice and fresh

19. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (820) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

We did the tasting in 2011 so I highly doubt it. It wasn't that typical oxidized flavor. There was something going on in there that tasted like shit.

20. About 1 month ago, Momar42, myself, and a few others had 3F Oude Geuze, Gueuze Tilquin, and Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio side-to-side-to-side. All three of them rocked, it's just that the Tilquin rocked less than the other two. I'd pick the 'loon in terms of overall quality and depth - but I'd pick the 3F if I wanted the most drinkable and delicate of the three.

21. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

Perfect timing favorite for this thread. Had a Lawsons Kiwi for first time, now following it with the champ: Alpine Nelson. Kiwi was excellent, looked a little darker and "thicker" then Nelson, not as sweet. Both great beers, but have to give the nod to Nelson. Major props to awesome trading partner Jimmy for sending Nelson to me and also to Drew for giving me Kiwi at a company meeting.

22. it could have been fresh. its pretty lackluster fresh.

23. "are you sure it wasn't aged. it gets oxidized with age"
    "it wasn't aged"
    "are you sure it wasn't fresh. it sucks fresh"

lulz

SatlyMalty likes this.
  24. JamesMN

JamesMN Savant (370) Minnesota Jul 12, 2012

Sucks vs Abrasive

Abrasive won.

25. BeerFan

BeerFan Savant (320) New Jersey Feb 11, 2003

I can do blind taste tests by myself. How? I get identical glasses and put tape on the bottom of the glass with the name of the beer I plan to pour into it. I pour the beer. Yes, I do see what it looks like. I then put the glasses (I usually only sampe two at a time) on a plate, close my eyes and rotate the plate several times so I do not know which beer is which. Keeping my eyes closed, I sample one and then the other. If the beers' colors are very similar, I sometimes do not keep my eyes closed.