1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Awesome Trader Alert: GrumpyOldTroll

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by doogie71628, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Some might already know this, but wanted to inform those that didn't. GrumpyOldTroll is a pretty awesome guy. He was already super generous in offering a KH for a BCBS snifter, which I took him up on. He had thought we agreed to no extras so sent the one bottle. We didn't really agree to anything either way, but I sent him some extras. I was absolutely fine with the trade and verrrry happy to be getting the KH, but he felt bad not having realized we never agreed on having no extras involved. I insisted he not send anything, but he did in a second box. I picked it up today and it was my first ever bottle from Hill Farmstead a Twilight of the Idols and a BA Ruffian. So if you are looking for a good guy to trade with, he is your man.
  2. I met Mike at Zwanze Day in Bklyn earlier in the month. Very cool guy and deserves the praise.
    cosmicevan likes this.
  3. Despite the name :D
  4. Ynot2

Ynot2 Savant (300) California Jul 24, 2009

I agree, great trader with amazing extras.
    chase2634 likes this.
  5. He's a dick.

Sorry, just get fed up with all the love because Mike actually stole his handle from me. Yeah, it's true, the guy is quite the mensch. For a BA who is quickly building up one of the best cellars around, he is quite a fair trader. Overly, even.
  6. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Mike is a pretty kewl dood. Crazy generous tradesman as well.
    dachshunddude86 likes this.
  7. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

mike is THE man. all around great guy and way too generous.
  8. Mike is insanely generous and an all around great guy!
  9. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

Mike's pretty much beer Jesus.
    cosmicevan likes this.
  10. Had the pleasure of trading with him once. He is a very generous treader.
  11. gn0sis

gn0sis Savant (290) Massachusetts Dec 17, 2007

I've heard many good things and had a few valuable discussions with Mike... perhaps it's time we set something up.
  12. I've never met him personally, but it was very cool of him to bring a Bourbon Vanilla DL to Zwanze Day to share with a bunch of people.
  13. dtmets84

dtmets84 Aficionado (235) New York Dec 31, 2011

I agree 100 times over. I speak to that grumpy man more then I speak to my family.
    cosmicevan likes this.
  14. BeerWorld

BeerWorld Savant (360) New York Feb 20, 2008

Mike is an awesome guy. I also hear he has Rare and CR1 on at all times in his bathroom faucet.
    cosmicevan likes this.
  15. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

Can confirm :D
    cosmicevan likes this.
  16. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (250) California Jul 7, 2012

Y'all are clearly trollin.
  17. Just a little. It's actually Rare and CR 2, not 1, that come out of his bathroom faucet. Some people refer to certain rare Cantillons as one-offs, for Mike it's what he drank on Tuesday watching re-runs of the Jeffersons.
  18. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (635) Texas Aug 16, 2005

I had recognized Mike but had never had any interaction with him until he donated a BA Dark Lord De Muerte for the "grand" thank you box in the Sandy Hook Elementary LIF. Stellar BA :)
  19. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (620) New York Mar 21, 2010

Who would have thought a BA with "troll" and "grumpy" in his name would be a great trader :)!

Well done!
    cosmicevan and cfh64 like this.
  20. Super guy all around! One of the nicest and most generous people I have met! Cheers Mike!
    cosmicevan likes this.
  21. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

no way...it is DEFINITELY CR batch 1. and the funny part is what you say about Tuesday...is true. people can confirm stuff like that. in my experience, it has mostly been on thursday nights and at the phoenix garden as opposed to jefferson re-runs, but that was a good analogy.
    dachshunddude86 likes this.
  22. Wow. Guess I had the crappy guestroom. That's probably what happens when you bring pedestrian beer like a Soleil de Minuit to a GOT bottleshare
    cosmicevan likes this.
  23. ilovermont

ilovermont Aficionado (125) Vermont Jul 18, 2012

Agreed. Mike is an awesome guy--MAJOR asset to the BA community. Hope to have a beer with him whenever I make it down to NYC next.

Vanlingleipa is another standout BA.

Cheers gents.
    GrumpyOldTroll and cosmicevan like this.
  24. Man mike is a pain the ass.. texts me everyday to come by and drink his beers. If it wasnt for his cute kids and his dog daisy.. i wouldnt come by!!

I kid i kid. Mike is great guy, a amazing friend, and most of all the best drinking buddy one can have.
  25. Thanks for the kind words fellas.
  26. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Mike is a very generous, down to Earth, awesome guy. I will spare the details of our many trades, but I find it impossible to "win" with this guy. He defines the term "Beer Advocate".
    jbuddle, totoropanda and kawilliams81 like this.
  27. joel66

joel66 Savant (445) New York Sep 1, 2012

Mike went out of his way to meet me for lunch to sort out my identity lol. He has acted as a reference for me,we speak daily and he is a great guy and friend. I would open any of my bottles with him, no questions asked