1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

AZ Beer Week

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Tukee, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Tukee

Tukee Aficionado (165) Arizona Aug 1, 2009

I know it's a month and a half away, but I'm already excited. No events posted yet on the website, wonder when they'll start putting things up? I have my Strong Beer tickets already though!
    Any AZ BAs hear about any planned events yet?

2. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

I added an event to BA for the Strong Beer fest yesterday:
    http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/58900

Please do sign check in on BA if you plan on attending

The main website for AZ Beer Week and the Strong Beer Fest is:

http://arizonabeerweek.com/

But I am surprised that there are so few announcements.
    Although i haven't read the last two weeks' New Times where there are typically many many ads.
    I know there are some people her who have more info. Hopefully they will post.

3. I think that most of the breweries are still trying to finalize their events with their owners/brewers/reps schedules but the guild and their PR firm have been asking guild members to post their events. Another factor that may be influencing why people haven't posted events so far is that this year the guild is going to charge non guild members to have events listed which might cut down the number of places listing events such as all the Happy Hour deals. At Papago we are still waiting on a couple of breweries to finalize their details before we publish our events.

luwak likes this.
  4. Tukee

Thanks Ron. It'll be a lot easier to navigate events page if all the little happy hours and generic "$ off" deals are not listed. ;)

yemenmocha and luwak like this.
  5. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Big +1 to this. Seriously, last time it was incredibly lame to have bars just simply list that oh... Santan cans are $1 off during a few hours and such. I noticed quite a few that weren't even really craft beer focused bars at all. Maybe it's advertising revenue for someone but it really dilutes the listing of events and renders the event week something not so special.

6. Happy Hours can still be listed, however they will have their own section away from what is an actual event.

luwak and yemenmocha like this.
  7. luwak

Strong Beer Fest shows VIP tickets already sold out!
    I'm actually pretty upset about that....

Did anybody else get them?

8. Yes, I bought mine on the day they were released.

9. 3frog

3frog Aficionado (245) Arizona May 13, 2006

I missed-out last year, so I bought early this time. Glad I did.

10. 3frog

Thought I'd bump this since we're almost 2 weeks out. Lots of events now posted. May need to take some vacation so I can check out Flag, Prescott, and Tucson...

yemenmocha likes this.
  11. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (485) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

Definitely going. Probably do the Stone Vertical tasting at Papagos, but we have a cool place called Ground Control here in the west valley. They are doing a Bells event plus a couple of food pairing nites so we are gonna hang there. Really looking forward to it!

yemenmocha likes this.
  12. luwak

When is that? I didn' t see it on the calendar.

I'm for sure going to Flanny's for Colorado Firkin night on Thursday which was the best of the twenty or so event I went to last year.

I'm no fan of Hungry Monk but supposedly both Black Note and Batch 9000 will make an appearance at the Bells event this year. I didn't like the event at all last year but i may go for 9000.

Also Boulder's GD night looks cool:

Great Divide Yeti Night Tap Takeover
    Feb 22 | 4:00pm
    Boulders on Broadway
    530 W Broadway Rd
    Tempe, AZ, 85282
    Description: First time ever in Arizona, 15 different Great Divide kegs including two incredibly special and rare beers. Peach Grand Cru and Whiskey Barrel Aged Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti will be on tap along with Espresso Yeti, Belgian Yeti, Oak Aged Yeti, Yeti, Old Ruffian 2011, Colette, Nomad, Orabelle, Hoss, Titan, Hercules, Claymore and more.

I also wonder if Papago will do the parking lot mini fest on the last Saturday ....

Jeremy6566 and yemenmocha like this.
  13. Jefeipa

Jefeipa Aficionado (190) Arizona May 6, 2009

No Festival at Papago this year.

14. yemenmocha

Thanks for the info. I share your lack of enthusiasm for Hungry Monk also - the sports bar theme among other factors.

15. luwak

I want to like this post for providing the info and unlike it for what it communicates to me.

Jefeipa did you decide on any events?

16. luwak

Yeah i can barely stand the sports on tv at Boulders but at least they but on weird movies or cult films or old skool tv sometimes (i'd prefer say DogStarMan or Prometheus Garden on repeat but beggars can't be choosers) and usually the sound is off and the music on. But at the Monk...non stop douchery all the time...

You decided on anything?

EyePeeAyBryan and yemenmocha like this.
  17. Jefeipa

I'm going to Strong Beer Fest, FW sour at WOB, Colorado or Az frikin, and Bell's at HM

18. Where is the "dislike?" I had a great time at this last year - No lines, great price and tons of brew SWAG!

yemenmocha and luwak like this.
  19. luwak

Yeah i forgot about this!

Which day is it?
    Rumor is stuff from the new FW sour program will be available. I wonder if the beers are even named yet?
    Anybody have more info?

20. 3frog

It's Wednesday, apparently at noon. The "online reservation" link takes you to their FB page where you can Join. I didn't see any other method to reserve.
    I see that WOB changed the reservation method for the Beer_Cheese pairing from a call to an email. I left a few messages last week but heard nothing. Capped at 25, I'm..hopeful spaces are left.

And Rascally Ron isn't taking any reservations for the Papago events. Last year's week-end festival was indeed pretty awesome though a bit hectic at the end.

yemenmocha likes this.
  21. 3frog

4 more beers on the Boulders GD night: Chocolate OA Yeti, Hibernation, Wolfgang, and a "Spiced Winter Saison"

I see they're also doing a DFH pairing on Monday, name changed to 'A Hop Eclipse Now'
    $65 might keep me away. http://www.facebook.com/events/438786469525742/

and their own fest on Sunday for $25 for 15 tastes. Cismontane,Big Sky,College Street,Coronado,Deschutes,Desert Eagle,Dragoon,Four Peaks,Grand Canyon,Great Divide,Green Flash,Lagunitas,Left Hand,Left Coast,Lumberyard,Marble,New Belgium,Odell,Oskar Blues,Sierra Nevada,Wanderlust

yemenmocha likes this.
  22. luwak

BOULDERS:
    Yeah the i had heard about the DFH thing a while back and thought it would eb agreat chnace to try the new IPAs but beer dinners are a waste for me sinc ei dont eat meat and they never do a veggie alternative...
    They said last week they might also set a fee for the beers only but that sounded iffy to jme.
    The Boulders Beer fest is always cooler than is sounds but being right after strong beer sicsk i think.
    I'll be doing GD night probably.

WOB: So i still can't find the damn place to sign up..can somebody post al ink?

MONK: is there any more info on what Bell's beers they are bringing? or what else they are doing?

SUN UP: Did anybody see what they have planned?

YUCCA: anything?

FOUR PEAKS: Seems Liek Sirius Black and the Rye Wine is around lately so maybe we'll get some special beers at the three locations?

O.H.S.O. : Anybody know about anything besides this? (which si cool but i have hard tiem imagining making it to)

Strong Ale After Party
    Feb 16 | 6:00pm
    O.H.S.O. Brewery
    4900 E. Indian School Road
    Phoenix, AZ, 85018
    (602) 955-0358
    Map
    Description: Join Odell Brewing @ O.H.S.O. as we take over the back patio and the 6 taps for the Strong Ale After Party. Fun gets started around 6 pm and we will be pouring Friek, Lugene, Myrcenary, Mountain Standard, Deconstruction,...

yemenmocha likes this.
  23. 3frog

Bell's @HM
    21 Bell's Beers on tap throughout the evening including Le Pianiste, Midwestern Pale, Oarsman, Oatmeal Stout, Oberon, Porter, Smitten, Two Hearted, Amber, Bourbon Barrel Batch 9000, 2011 Vintage Cherry Stout, Expedition Stout, Harry Magill's Spiced Stout, Hopslam, Kalamazoo Stout, Kal-Haven Rye, Le Batteur, Le Contrebassiste and special tappings of Black Note (6:30 PM) and Bourbon Barrel Cherry Stout (7:30 PM).

gonna be a madhouse

SanTan HopFarm and Hot Scotchy night monday

SunUp's doing Movie Night on Monday, Homebrewers Night Wednesday--barleywine on bourbon barrel chips and dry-hopped imp red, double black IPA Thursday, Rex's Crimson Friday. I only mention the Cigar & Cask Saturday in passing.

yemenmocha likes this.
  24. yemenmocha

Any other Black Note slated to hit the tap handles that week? Friday night at an allocated time at a sports bar isn't exactly appealing to some of us. :rolleyes:

My God that Bell's list is insane.

25. bigbelcher

bigbelcher Savant (475) Arizona Jul 10, 2003

I'm planning on a busy week, Strong Beer Festival Saturday. Sunday Sun Up Beer and ice cream, Monday Pig and Pickle Left Hand Beer Dinner, Tuesday College Street at WFM, Wednesday Sierra Nevada sensory class at Papago, Thursday AZ tap takeover at Tops, Casks at WFM, Friday New Belgium sour class at Papago, Saturday Belgium beers at Angels Trumpet.

26. Bell's now list BB Batch 9000 on their list of brews for the Strong Beer Fest. I was very surprised and extremely excited to see that, and I really hope a few other brewers decide to bring a rare beer.

yemenmocha likes this.
  27. 3frog

I wish the limey would post the WF Chandler events on the AZBW site.

Jeremy6566 likes this.
  28. bigbelcher

bigbelcher Savant (475) Arizona Jul 10, 2003

He has one event listed. the cask night on Thursday. Maybe he is taking the week off and drinking elsewhere.

29. yemenmocha

Stuff like that make it worthwhile. I agree & hope more do this.

30. Tukee

Is the list on the AZBeerWeek website? I didn't see it. Would be great to know what to expect before I get there so I know where to go first.
    And already mentioned by 3frog, but I was surprised by the lack of events at WF Chandler

31. jmkoller11

jmkoller11 Aficionado (185) Arizona Jul 27, 2012

Where did you get all of this information on the Bells event at The Hungry Monk? I saw a mention of it on Bell's website but nowhere else...

32. 3frog

33. luwak

So does anybody want to meet up during Beer Week?
    Anybody down for a a mini bottleshare, maybe somewhere public...? Maybe everybody just brings one bottle instead of a ton of stuff...

EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  34. yemenmocha

35. Tukee

Didn't this happen last year too? Lame to have them the same week.

yemenmocha likes this.
  36. luwak

Yeah they did this nonsense last year. Makes no business sense because it spreads the total craft alcohol market (well sans wine and super niches i guess) out over one period. Surely there is non trivial intersection between craft beer consumers and boutique cocktail consumers. So why not get all their money bu making cocktail week a few weeks later or earlier than beer week. If were such a consumer, I'd be aware that i can only drink so much and only spend so much on any given day so i'd have to choose beer or cocktails (or at least not as many of each if i chose both)
    But if they were separated I might go crazy each week....
    Its a very stupid choice.

37. I'm definitely up for this.

38. Jefeipa

Where are you guys thinking about meeting up?

39. luwak

No decisions yet.
    My schedule is weird.... but Tuesday evening would be among the better days for me. Not sure where they'll be cool with it due to increased volume of beer week. (i know some places have allowed it in the past on quiet days...)

Ideas? suggestions?

Lets hash it out over BM and then when we decide we'll post in this thread.
    Good?

Anybody interested in meeting up, send me a BM in the next day or two and please include days times places you could do it.... I'll collect the names and then start a BM thread to discuss.