1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

AZ Beer Week

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Tukee, Jan 3, 2013.

1. 3frog

3frog Aficionado (245) Arizona May 13, 2006

OK, officially kicks-off tomorrow, though a few places are jumping the gun tonight.
    Looking forward to the fest tomorrow--be still my beating liver!
    AnotherImperial likes this.
  2. I'm heading straight to BB Batch 9000...
    MadDogMD and yemenmocha like this.
  3. aandresen

aandresen Aficionado (210) Arizona Sep 21, 2009

Had a couple pours of BB 9000, good but super sweet. Had a great time though, wonderful turnout and crowd.
    yemenmocha likes this.
  4. I didn't stay long enough for the BBA Bell's 9000, but the Marble Reserve and Imperial Stout were pretty solid BBA beers. Hopslam was my favourite hoppy beer there, went back for seconds. Sierra Nevada Narwhal and Bigfoot were outstanding as always. Good time.
    yemenmocha and AnotherImperial like this.
  5. 3frog

I don't know enough of y'all in person, so you all blended into the crowd. Talked to Friar Tuck in Luck's wife and caught up with old friends and fellow geeks.

I did what I could to help get the 9000 tapped quickly..HS was certainly grreat. Agreed that Marble brought their A game (as did 4 Peaks)--the oude bruin might've been my favorite at the fest; the Imp Stout and DIPA were nice, too. Enjoyed the P'go chili beer--with a goodly amount of heat to it--that was no Cave Creek... The Petrus red was tasty but I thought too sweet.
    Also nice to see the new brewers really trying. --that said, and at the risk of incurring wrath, I thought the OHSO beers were terr-i-ble.
    yemenmocha likes this.
  6. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

So i didn't go this year...i went to California instead. I know bad for AZ reppin' but im back now...
    Went to the Odell after party thing at OHSO....ppl there were wasted....

Pics of the Strong Beer make it look like it was fun..but sunny/warm/sunburny......better that the rainy year?

I saw somebody on untapped having had posted Knight Changer ....from Noble Ale Works.. at StrongBeer. Was that at the festival?

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22412/65332

It is a great beer but i didn't know we were getting it in AZ.... (have ahd in CA only)

Also did anybody get any older vintages of Hopsquatch 07? 08? 09?
    Drinking those was a highlight for me last year.

I had Uwe's Chilli beer brrwed for Papago at the fest last year. Didn't know there was more. he said he didn't liek it...i loved it..

Y'all that got Bell's 9000 are lucky cause i heard it will NOT be at Hungry Monk....so i think that's the only keg of it AZ will see (the one y'all had)

About Marble: they are solid. I'm not surprised to hear good things bout whatever they brought.

What did SN bring? was there any BA Bigfoot? treatments of Ovila? One of the Anniversary blends?
  7. BB Batch 9000 was fantastic, and I'm very pleased that Bell's brought it.

Marble's BA Imperial Stout was my surprise of the day. Excellent beer...wasn't expecting it to be that good. I spent a good amount of time drinking Espresso Yeti, too.

Can any of you give me some info on Hungry Monk? I very badly want to try Black Note, though it is going to be rather difficult for me to get there. Is the place usually crowded? Any idea how much BN will be on hand. With as hard as it will be for me to get there, I'm worried that I could arrive and still not get any (and I have absolutely no other reason to go there). I'm not at all familiar with the place or the type of people who will be in attendance.
  8. Jeremy6566

Jeremy6566 Savant (270) Arizona Jan 10, 2013

I had a great time, first time, and maybe a little too much to drink!

The Four Peaks '08 Hopsquatch and Baltic Porter were both awesome! Sonoran did a cask Inebriator that turned out amazing! The 9000 was really good, but a bit too sweet for me as well. San Tan did bring the '10 Sex Panther, witch I loved in '10, but the age wasn't very good for it unfortunately.

I have three complaints:
    First... No, SN didn't bring any BA Bigfoot or Ovila, unfortunately.
    Second... I am a fan of Odell, I had Myrcenary twice yesterday, but nothing amazing.
    Third... I admit, I wasn't blown away with OHSO's beers, but someone lifted one of their barrels at the end, really not cool!
  9. Jeremy6566

I'm planning on going to the Monk for exactly the same reason, I really want to try some black note! On an average Friday or Saturday night they get pretty busy, but for this event I'm sure that they are going to be packed. I believe that what I heard was there is going to be one keg of Note for the event, but they aren't tapping it until 6:30. Hope this helps with your decision.
  10. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Thanks for the heads up on OHSO. /sigh
  11. yemenmocha

Praying Monk or Hungry Monk?
  12. luwak

I went last year and as the coolkats say...it was a definite shitshow:

Super crowded totally disorganized and annoying TVs blaring with shitty classic rock music played from some douchey dj set up that was in the damn way of the door from the patio to the bar...
    They let people smoke on the patio which was disgusting.

There were about 4 stations outside plus the bar inside and the Bells Beers were distributed randomly among them.
    Plastic cup outside...seriously plastic cups... and nowhere to sit inside (and i go there at noon...and stayed til 7)

BN was limited and so they made it a ticketed pour....you didn't have to pay to get to the event but they made you line up to get tickets then line up to get a glass . That was probably smart.
    BN didnt appear until about what? 7 pm...but they refused to say all day when they were tapping it (or at least i wasn't cool enough to get the truth)

(and by the way BN is way overrated...it just taste like a watery BA stout...but by all means find out for your self)

I'd skip it and go to Great Divide at Boulder's..
    yemenmocha likes this.
  13. luwak

yemenmocha likes this.
  14. luwak

Here's another little thing to do.
    I know the world doesn't get all shook up by this beer any more and i would say it much nicer after a few years aging but if your AZ BEER WEEK would be incomplete without some Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA here;s your chance:

http://yuccatap.com/event/az-beer-week-120-minutes-of-happiness/

(Monday the 18th at Yucca tap Room for the non link clickers)
    yemenmocha likes this.
  15. Very random but I am considering moving to Flagstaff or Tuscon in June and wouldn't mind getting some more info from a local BA. So hit me up if anyone feels like making conversation.

It's cool to know there's an AZ beer week!
  16. bigbelcher

bigbelcher Savant (475) Arizona Jul 10, 2003

+1 on 3frogs views. Ohso needs to learn that just putting a beer in a oak barrel and spiking it with liquor doesn't make the beer any better. Marble's beers were great and probably the best all around brewery showing there overall. Papago's Freakn Hot was a great change up, much better and more dimensional than Mudshark's chili beer and I liked it better than the base beer at Sun Up. I did have some Firestone Anniversary, not on tap but the rep had a bottle that he was pouring off of. Bell's 9000 and Petrus Red were both too sweet. Wasn't really impressed with 4P's Sirius Black but loved the rye wine. Things look promising for Coffee Cartel's beers based on the homebrew they had. If you thought the fest was a shitshow of drunk people you should have seen TT Roadhouse later that evening where they were giving away free beer and food.
    luwak likes this.
  17. Jeremy6566

The Hungry one!
  18. luwak

i'll send ya a BM to talk about AZ when beer week settles down a bit
    Eriktheipaman likes this.
  19. luwak

Yeah i had a feeling Cartel was gonna do a good job. they've been working on it for almost 18 months now.
    i walk by the facility three days a week and can't wait til they start serving there.
    I had no idea they were gonna have their stuff at Strong Beer
  20. luwak

Sunday:

I worked but went to Boulders on Broadway after their beer fest.
    They still had lots of good stuff on draft.
    Casks of a Dragoon Porter and Odell Tropical IPA (that shit was awesome).
    Lost Coast Imperial 8 ball...nice not overly barrelly stout
    Deschutes Armory -weird
    One of the incarnations of Left hand's Ambidextrous (this one was a smoked bock i think)
    Great Divide Hades -very good Belgian pale thing
    Cistmontane Black Dawn - nice big stout
    Marble's Imperial Stout (great as mentioned above) also Cuvee Rouge and a DIPA from them
    They still have Dewey's date Night that James from WF Chandler brewed...surprisingly good

Monday:

tonight i'll be at WOB (I'd go to Papago but i have had all the Stone Vert Epic except 2 and 3....)

Odell Tap Takeover

Noon to 11 p.m. Monday at World of Beer in Tempe
    This Fort Collins, Colo., brewery always brings some special beers down for Beer Week, and this year they’re blowing out all the stops with a massive 20-beer tap takeover. One of the highlights will be gWOBa IPA, an imperial guava IPA brewed with the WOB staff. Other rarities: Legal Pad, Featherie, Bourbon Barrel Stout, Amuste, Tripel Threat, Wooden Elephant, and Cocoa Joe.
    yemenmocha likes this.
  21. 3frog

and I'm off for the 4Peaks at Flanny's just because it's convenient and I'm not a nutts-to-butts (I learned that term on BA!) fan. I have VE3-12, but those can keep waiting-argh-I may change my mind and deal with the P'go butts...
  22. yemenmocha

How was the Odell takeover? Love that brewery. We're fortunate to have great stuff like theirs here in AZ.
  23. Jefeipa

Jefeipa Aficionado (185) Arizona May 6, 2009

Where did you hear that Hungry Monk Won't be getting a keg?
  24. luwak

Still here....NINETEEN non regular release Odell handles....come down...
    EyePeeAyBryan and yemenmocha like this.
  25. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (320) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

Would love to hit that Odell takeover, but it is a hundred miles away! Stopped in Cartel Coffee here in Tucson yesterday and the guy did not know anything about their beer being served up at the Fest, they did not have any on tap here.
  26. AZeagle

AZeagle Aficionado (170) Arizona Feb 23, 2005

Not sure where the rumor got started that BA Batch 9000 would not be at Hungry Monk. It will be there and that will be the only keg of it tapped at any other event during Beer Week. Also, this is the only keg of Black Note, BA 2011 Cherry Stout and several others that will be tapped during Beer Week.
    yemenmocha likes this.
  27. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Savant (470) Arizona Dec 20, 2011

Did Boulders give a time for when they'll begin pouring or is it all day?
  28. EyePeeAyBryan

Also, any word/progress on a bottle share this week? I also was in CA and picked up some RR brews along with some Alpine, plus bottles I've just got sitting at home...
  29. Jefeipa

What RR and Alpine beers did you get?
  30. EyePeeAyBryan

PtE, Blind Pig, Sanctification, Supplification, Nelson and Duet.
  31. Jeremy6566

If you have any Nelson that your willing to trade out, I have been wanting to try it for a long time!
  32. Jefeipa

I'm looking for some Alpine Nelson too!! Pm me if you want to trade one.
  33. HavasuDG

HavasuDG Aficionado (180) Arizona Nov 12, 2012

Heading into Phoenix tonight. Anything happening tonight, or especially any bottle shops to go to? I'm heading to Vegas in 2 days and have requests to bring back beer unavailable in NV. Hop slam in bottle anywhere, or any other good suggestions?
  34. Jefeipa

There might some Hopslam around. I don't know if Vegas gets FW Sucaba that's hitting the stores now
    yemenmocha likes this.
  35. Jefeipa

And World of beer in Tempe is having a good FW event tonight.
    yemenmocha likes this.
  36. Jeremy6566

Vegas got Sucaba last week according to a trade partner there. Last I saw Hop Slam was at Total Wine, they might have some left.
    At the World of Beer FW event ther is going to Anaversery on tap as well as thier new Sours that the new FW facility is producing (which AZ probably won't see until '14).

Here is the event info:

http://arizonabeerweek.com/event/?id=320

Maybe I'll see you there,

Jeremy
  37. 3frog

WOB just posted Sucaba, Double DBA (Barrel) #66 (aged in White Oak for 4 years--wow), and Regional Brett (Reginald Brett? DDBA aged in French oak with Brett. Lambicus for 6 mo.) Wonder if there are any more of the "rarest sours and anniversary ales". Went to the beer/cheese pairing there last night- was nice, though I'm really not fond of the parking--meters active until 10pm...
    Jeremy6566 likes this.
  38. 3frog

The Reginald Brett (the only sour) kicked in 10 minutes, I was told. Unfortunately I was 3 hrs late for that one. Kind of figured that might occur, so after the Sensory Evaluation class at P'go, I got a couple Oud Beersel Kriek and Gueuze off the shelf and enjoyed 'em. --fyi--Papago still had VE 7, 8, 10, 11, and 12 on tap.
    WOB needs to get their act together a bit better (IMO), as there were 3 different times listed for the event, depending on whether you looked on the AZBW site, their own site, or the FB event page. Similar issues with the beer/cheese, too.
    luwak likes this.
  39. EyePeeAyBryan

**Side note**

Not a fan of WOB.

HATE HATE the location. For a business to make money, sure, it's a great spot for them but for an avid beer lover and someone who is knowledgeable about the industry and greatly respects it, it sucks. I don't want a bunch of college kids drinking good beer they don't know shit about because, "hey, look, this one has a bunch of alcohol in it...lets see how many I can drink...and get WASTED."

Ugh.
    jmkoller11 and yemenmocha like this.
  40. yemenmocha

Flanny's was packed & loud with live band so did WF instead. Pint line was to the sushi & sake sections but i managed to get one pint. Frustrating to see so many there not doing the firkin beers.