AZ Beer Week

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Tukee, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Tukee

Tukee Aficionado (165) Arizona Aug 1, 2009

Wow! I really wanted to go but couldn't make it. I guess I'm glad I didn't. The good thing about this craft explosion is that we get to have cool things like Beer Week. Downside is the insane crowds and beers tapping out in minutes. Oh well.
    With tomorrow being a Fri night, I imagine things will be even crazier. Really want to go to Papago, but not sure how early I need to get there to be admitted

2. bigbelcher

bigbelcher Advocate (515) Arizona Jul 10, 2003

What is the world coming to? Yemenmocha went to a packed event featuring "Arizona beer" What was the Yardhouse closed?

luwak likes this.
  3. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,245) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Well it was still a success as far as crowds go and people loving it. It was just too busy for my liking.

As I mentioned too, I went to the Flanny's event first (Colorado beers) and it was insane, so WF was the backup plan. I had not tried the Coffee Cartel stuff so it was nice to try something new. Plus it's always good to see James, and like others have said there weren't many events on the list for WFC this year.

4. luwak

luwak Savant (395) Arizona Mar 2, 2010 Verified

I got the new (old DDBA) it was not good. The beautiful balance between the sugar and the bitter and the boose that make DDBA (anf FW 15 for that matter) so great was ruined. It was just dry and all barrel.

And the sour was downright awful:
    An acetic mess with a nasty finish and not enough carbonation.
    Supposedly Angels Trumpet has a keg of a different FW sour...maybe that one will be better...

5. luwak

Sorry never responded...i asked three places and nobody was comfortable doing the bottleshare (even the place where they have it every month).., since it is beer week and they wanted to you know not get in trouble...
    So possibly we can reschedule at a house or something in the future...

6. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Advocate (705) Arizona Dec 20, 2011 Verified

No worries.

I don't have a ton of space but would glady have a half dozen people over any time.

7. EyePeeAyBryan

Was at Angels last night and the Rufus (Brett beer) was awesome. Very slight sour and tasted mostly like an English Barlywine with slight sour in the back but tasted way more than 11+ ABV . The Helldorado was the star (even through the Rufus kicked fast), just loved that stuff.

yemenmocha likes this.
  8. Tukee

Papago was great tonight with Eric Salazar from New Belgium. Really really enjoyed Clutch which I never got to try when it came out. Also liked the Ovila quad w/plums that Papago has on tap right now

Geuzedad likes this.
  9. luwak

I heard they had fucking Helldorado! Not sure thats been out of CA ...amazing!

glad to hear rufus was good...

EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  10. luwak

Yeah Clutch kicked fucking serious ass as did Kick
    Ive still got a few bottles of Clutch left...awesome that you got it on tap....raresbro.. haha

Geuzedad likes this.
  11. 3frog

3frog Savant (255) Arizona May 13, 2006

Hmm, I've seen both Clutch and Kick on tap several places, though not recently. I decided to call it a week yesterday morning after having too good of a time at Flanny's. Got there at 545 and got the last seat at the bar. I'd have (also) quickly left if I'd gotten there at 645 when it was 3-5 people deep waiting for drinks.

Most of the casks were surprising--didn't expect the orange slice/clove agave wheat to be that good, but if you like cloves it was outstanding. Didn't taste the curacao..or the chocolate in the yeti, but it still tasted like the (solid) espresso version. The cherry Lugene was by far the most popular, kicking well before the others--though having 7 casks on kept any one of them from kicking stupid-quick like at some other places this week. Missed the GD last night, but my liver thanked me for it.
    Any reviews of the Monk madhouse?

12. EyePeeAyBryan

I was at Monk around 5:15 after quickly leaving Boulders. I got to Boulders just after 4pm and it was basically dead, like expected for that early on a weekday. I didn't stick around for the 530 tappings (Peach Cru and Whiskey Yeti) because I knew I'd rather try BN and B9000 at Monk. I was 60th in line to buy a ticket for Black Note ($10) and I think the pour was 10oz. I was upset that most year-round brews were outside and you had to go in for the bigger stuff. Wasn't awful and everyone there was pretty cool even though I talked with a few people drinking B9000 who didn't even know where Bell's was located or what kind of beer it was. I thought it tasted identical to Melange #3 and was hard to finish a full glass of it, still good stuff. Getting beer didn't take much time but I think they're dumb for not using ALL the space they had outside and instead cramming everyone indoor in what little space they have for Hopslam, B9000, BN and all the sours. Glad I left Boulders for Monk though, since I was definitely impressed with Black Note and didn't want to open my bottle I have at home :p.

13. luwak

Where/when did you ever see Clutch on tap? Last summer?

14. luwak

I saw at one point 68 ppl checked in on untappd as being at the Monk for Bells and at the same moment 38 ppl at Boulders for Great Divide.

I worked so skipped Bells (and see also my previous remarks in this thread regarding last year's event)
    I was glad to hear they did have Batch 9000 as i had a hand in unintentionally spreading the false rumor that it was not going to be available (i thought it was from a reliable source...sorry folks)
    Interesting to hear that it tastes like Melange # 3 which is much easier to get.
    I heard people say that BA Cherry Stout was awful which is funny cause it was the beer i d most wanted from that taplist save for the stuff id never heard of.

Went to Boulders after work. Went late as I had a box on my doorstep to attend to (figured better to get the Dark Lord in the house before it walked off my porch and risk missing Whisky Chocolate Yeti than to rush to the bar and leave the box for the wolves (well, coyotes maybe) ).
    So i did miss Whiskey Chocolate Yeti but i got the Peach Grand Cru...which is awesome.
    I actually expected it to be terrible.....it's great and at 12.5 percent , man it's no joke...still some left; go get it

Also had Colette which is surprisingly balanced for being so dry, spicy, funky, and nasty.....so of course I loved it. Great nose on that beer.....I saw somebody had "Brett meet Colette" which is assume is a brett(ier) Colette....but im not sure which bar it was...anybody?

And had a Hercules too...love that beer.
    But the highlight of the night was when some kind barstaff opened a bottle of
    BA Hibernation!
    That was amazing They got a case and they are selling 'em for 30 bucks each on premise consumption only.
    Get some folks together and split iti. One of the best beers I've had in 2013 for sure.

15. Jefeipa

Jefeipa Aficionado (210) Arizona May 6, 2009

I want to get some BA Hibernation, $30 a bottle isn't bad it was $28 I think at the brewery for a bottle to go.

luwak likes this.
  16. Jeremy6566

Jeremy6566 Savant (270) Arizona Jan 10, 2013

My buddy and I were at Monk for the Bells event and were outside drinking when a guy walking by with the glasses that went to the first 40 in line for BN. We followed him over to the table and were numbers 1 and 2 in line.
    BN was Great, I've been waiting to try this one for a long time so it could have only fallen short of the bar that was set by my immagination. It measured up! I had B9000 at Strong Fest and enjoyed it, a little sweet, but really good.
    My shocker of the night was Expidition Stout. I've had it in bottle before and thought it was good, but on draft it really impressed me.

Like Bryan mentioned, the biggest problem was the layout. All of the bigger draw beers were stuck inside and the more popular were shoved into the corner of the bar! All of the stuff people wanted should have been outside and the space out there maximized. Just my 2 cents.

Had a great time and had some good beer!

17. yemenmocha

Sadly this is quite common today in my experience, and wasn't so common a decade or two decades ago. In the 90's you would pretty much only encounter other enthusiasts at events. There was a solidarity you could find with everyone you meet then that just isn't the same now. Craft beer growth in the market isn't always necessarily good. :(

I was briefly an optimist and thought I would avoid this by going to firkin events because the general public would probably not care for "warm, flat beer" - but they showed up in big numbers anyway, clogged up the event, and drank the other beers instead. :rolleyes:

Geuzedad and AnotherImperial like this.
  18. 3frog

Oh, they drank the $hit out of the warm, flat beers at Flanny's... though it was the Cherry Lugene that they loved best. That event was also packed with industry people, so it was already guaranteed to be crowded, without being overrun by they who are not we.

yemenmocha and AnotherImperial like this.
  19. How was the Cherry Lugene? I wasn't overly impressed with the base beer, though I don't think it's bad.

Also, for any of you who might be interested, Amuste is now at the AJ's on Central and Camelback - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/267/90071. I had heard it was coming out, but I wasn't expecting to see it here so soon. Sounds very interesting...hope it delivers.

yemenmocha likes this.
  20. Tukee

Yeah I thought Lugene was good but not great. Admit though that I was pretty excited to try it and probably had my hopes up too much. It also tasted better with a slice of pumpkin pie!

21. 3frog

To be honest, I haven't liked the Lugene. I was worried that they used maraschino cherries in the cask, but it actually turned out pretty tasty. It wasn't grossly fake-cherry, and the chocolate seemed to be balanced a bit more.

btw, saw the Amuste at GCM last sunday. Other new items there: picked up a couple Haandbryggeriet. The (Mikkeller) Mexas Ranger label amuses me somewhat, but the ingredients scare me..

22. Azrael

Azrael Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013

Lugene was the bomb.

luwak likes this.
  23. AZeagle

AZeagle Aficionado (180) Arizona Feb 23, 2005

I've never noticed much of the college kid, let's get drunk, crowd there. I have only been there a couple of times late night, but afternoon and early evenings, most people seem somewhat engaged with the beer, and interested in learning more. Most of the staff is pretty solid. At the end of the day, the 21-30 demographic is moving to craft beer faster than any other so it is natural that WOB would set up in an area where that demographic is abundant. It will be interesting to see how their new location in Gilbert differs since it will be a different age group out there.

24. EyePeeAyBryan

I'm 26, enjoy Mill Ave. once in a blue moon (the other kind) but 10/10, I'd rather visit Boulders or Flanny's than drive down to WoB. I've had such terrible experiences here in the evening on a Friday or Saturday night that I won't be back on those nights, ever. I've gone immediately after they opened on a Friday and Saturday (noon-ish) and had a much better time. I will probably agree that more 21s-30s are moving to craft currently, but I think MUCH more 30s-40s have already done so and are much more knowledgeable, hence the people who are opening these places. There is no doubt WoB is targeting college students of legal drinking age by placing their first bar on Mill Avenue, no doubt. However, craft beer is more expensive and I don't know too many college kids who have a large amount of disposable income (since I am one). I think more are going to WoB for an experience much like a couple would visit an expensive restaurant with $30+ entrees. I would be more inclined to visit a location that's not directly in the "get drunk" mecca of AZ, proven by ASU consistently rating in top lists for a party school and a location with one of the highest concentrations of bars in the PHX metro area. One of my absolute favorite places to go is Fox Cigar Bar in Gilbert because there are no large groups of "kids" and fantastic beer...oh, and cigars. I had no idea that WoB was opening a new location in Gilbert but I can guarantee that I will enjoy that location more.

yemenmocha likes this.
  25. MadDogMD

MadDogMD Aficionado (130) Arizona Jan 7, 2013

I was there too! Thought both beers were amazing! The Rufus was with Brett, right? I rated it on *ahem* another site, and had somebody question if it indeed was the brett version. Made me start question myself. I did have a bit to drink that night!

26. EyePeeAyBryan

Haha, yeah, it was a Brett beer but certainly not your typical advertised, over-the-top-funkiness brew - VERY "BOOZY" (I.M.O.). Were you able to hear Jeffers from Firestone speak? I was super excited about him talking, but about 60 seconds after he began speaking everyone just tuned out and started talking over him. I was pretty bummed by this and thought it was kind of embarassing for ATAH...

27. yemenmocha

Maybe we just had different experiences because mine were the same as Bryan's. Even in the daytime hours it seems like college aged kids there and not working/professional adults (there is no food. it's not a restaurant. you come here to drink). Anything on Mill is going to lean this way because of the location.

28. yemenmocha

Well, however, solo drinking at a craft beer bar is much cheaper than going to a typical bar and buying drinks for ladies in hopes of something later in the evening. :)

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like ASU has quite a few students with drinking money.

29. EyePeeAyBryan

No, you're probably right. Ramen, twice a day, all week...but just wait 'til Friday! Gotta keep those priorities straight ;)

I certainly don't hate WoB, just don't care for this particular one.

yemenmocha likes this.
  30. 3frog

And now that this has turned into a WOB thread, I'll say that I'm looking forward to them coming into San Tan Village. At least the parking will be free... My 1st experience at Tempe was for the beer/cheese pairing which was great, but my visit the next night was sufficiently bad that I wrote them off--considering the other available choices.

Can't say that I've been impressed with the 'local' clientele at the STV Gordon Biersch, but if the beer is good enough and not horrendously overpriced I'll still give WOB a chance.

Darn, we should've made this its own thread to give the pesky Texans some competition...

EyePeeAyBryan and yemenmocha like this.
  31. MadDogMD

MadDogMD Aficionado (130) Arizona Jan 7, 2013

I agree- pretty boozy. But the description I read said it spent 5 years in a bourbon barrel! So what can we expect? Ha. Got there a bit late & missed Jeffers. I was bummed, but sounds like I didn't miss much. That's really too bad.

32. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Aficionado (115) Arizona May 31, 2012

I despised WOB right as it opened because it had the "let's go get lit at the new place" feel. It's now one of my favorite beer bars in town. I can understand how you guys hate the location but it works perfect for me. I'm 23 and still go to ASU and my part of campus is a 1/4 mile away. A quick skateboard ride and i'm there and then i take the light rail home. I usually only go on Wednesdays for WOBU after class at 4:30. You really can't beat half off all beers. And JP is the man!

33. bleeng

bleeng Savant (285) Texas Aug 16, 2005

The Angels Trumpet Firestone Walker tap takeover was great. They had 10 FW beers and a couple of barrel aged beers rarely seen. This was the first time at AT and we had a great experience. The staff handled the packed house well and I was glad to get there a bit early.

34. luwak

When it opened i didn't expect to ever be coming to the defense of WOB. But WOB is actually pretty cool on SUN/MON night after 10 or MON - THU before 7....other times its loaded with the crowd you'd expect. And There are at least two really cook bartenders there who know beer well (and one of them is a well-established BA).

And it is true the current group of 20-somethings are falling into craft faster than any other demographic and way faster than my cohorts did when we were in our twenties. i think it is good.
    i don't love the WOB but it is among the least offensive of place son Mill (maybe Handlebar and Bison Witches being the only other places with craft that aren't awful...the Mushroom late at night isn't totally horrible either).
    In fact if a chain with a little of the sterile corporate feel had to come along and contaminate my neighborhood (i do live in walking distance to the Mill Ave nonsense) then one selling craft beer is least on the list of my worries.
    Yeah I've had some bad experiences at WOB (servers who said they didn't have something that i had specifically come there to get, only to find later people sitting next to me drinking it;...the absurd idea of the bathroom attendant; the bathroom being too small in general; horrendous pop music; mainstream pro sports on tv etc etc...) but it is way better than the analogous chain restaurants for example. And actually ive had some good times and good beer conversations and above all some great beer at WOB.

Contrary to Yemmenmocha's stubborn, curmudgeonly nonsense: all growth is craft beer is good
    BECAUSE THEN MORE PEOPLE CAN HAVE BETTER BEER, and support small businesses, and support local food movement (which are also good despite the whining of people who don't like some AZ breweries) and reduce the long arm of the Macros and encourage changes in the culture.

It is inevitable that when something you like becomes popular and gains some success it will be emulated and it will spread. But if these people who don't like don't buy craft beer than the prices go up and the availability goes down for everybody...and the macros win.

Jefeipa likes this.
  35. yemenmocha

Then anytime people point out that a release is sold out immediately, the strong beer fest sold out and now you can't go, the lines are crazy, that Hungry Monk was a shitshow for a rare Bell's event, etc. then I'm happy to reiterate the Luwak opinion - those are good things. ;) All of the growth related negatives are your baggage then (but I guess they aren't negatives).

I don't dispute there are many goods, or that the goods outweigh the negatives. I just think it's crazy to assert that all aspects of growth are good.

Geuzedad likes this.
  36. luwak

Yeah when craft reaches 50 percent of the beer market than we can start evaluating the negatives right now i contend all growth is good.

BobLoblaw likes this.
  37. EyePeeAyBryan

It reminds me of the times when I start listening to a new band that not many people have heard of. You attend their concerts, tickets are super cheap and you feel it's your job to spread the word and help make them grow. Soon the band is mainstream, it's all over the radio, you're so sick of their songs and eventually you stop listening to them.

Now, I don't think this will happen with craft beer but as long as I have more choices, availability grows from just 3 or 4 shops around the valley and prices don't go through the roof, I'm content. I think these "events" need to understand this is a growing industry and almost at an exponential rate, and that they can prevent shit-shows from happeing with just the smallest amount of planning. I can imagine we'll see even more events next year, more tickets available and new faces throughout...and that makes me happy.

Jefeipa likes this.