1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

B n C beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by kingofhop, Feb 17, 2013.

1. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

We all agree that Russian River, Founders, Sierra Nevada, Boulevard etc make world class beers. No doubt. But what do you guys like that seem to consistently rate lower than an "A" ? I'm lookin' at Bridgeport, Dundee, Saranac etc. Not necessarily world class, but they make some extremely solid examples of beer styles, usually at pretty fair prices. Beers that you know are not top of the line, but will gladly drink them and offer to your buddies. Everyday beers. Or do you even drink stuff like that at all?
  2. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

With exception of a few of their beers (Boston lager, cream stout, octoberfest and IPL) I'd say that Samuel Adams embodies a quality, but not show stopping Class A beer. And I love Sam Adams brews.

EDIT: the beers I listed are class A beers in my opinion.
  3. raffels

raffels Savant (255) West Virginia Dec 12, 2009

No...
  4. I refuse to drink anything that is rated below a 98 on here
    amp138 likes this.
  5. Is sierra not an everyday beer? hmmm. how shitty would you like me to get here.....
    Kidding aside, I think most of what saranac brews is less than ideal and generally wouldn't recommend it to buddies.
    I'll recommend Brooklyn lager or something German like Paulaner or Spaten to somebody that usually drinks BMC but outside of that I'm not sure I understand the point.

Why would a recommend something of inferior quality like saranac when the price point is so similar to so many other better beers?
  6. You wouldn't. Unless your buddies are tickers and need to try something new. In which case I doubt they'd care about your recommendation and just pick up whatever shitty Icelandic beer they haven't tried yet.

I recommend almost all SN to my buddies because its cheap and good. Why recommend something worse?
  7. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

yeah, I wuz curious about "vmc". Thought it was sumpin' I'd never heard about. Glad you cleared that up.
  8. Stuff like Narragansett, Otter Creek, Shipyard, and Long Trail usually. They are local (New England area) and I dont mind trying new beers from them.
  9. Whalez need ticks too.
  10. Weyerbacher does that for me. Except having Insanity I may have to upgrade them
  11. A lot of international beers. They seem to rate fairly low in comparison with their domestic counterparts.
  12. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Bridgeport IPA is a regular of mine and for a reason. I LOVE it.
  13. What we get over here in America are not the best of what foreign breweries have to offer.

Much like the best breweries over here dont ship internationally, Germany and the like will get Budweiser, Miller, and Coors offerings, not Bear Republic, Great Divide, RR, etc.
  14. That's very unfair, comparing what we get here to BMC. Maybe it depends on where you are located, but in NNJ I come across a lot of excellent German and Belgian beer- in very good condition, too. Weihenstephaner, Ayinger, Rodenbach, Schlenkerla, etc- all are certainly A-list breweries/beers.