1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BA 9000

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by cpetrone84, Nov 3, 2012.

1. How are people asking for the craziness they are?

Batch 9000 doesn't have very good reviews so throwing that in barrels makes it good?

claaark13 likes this.
  2. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (370) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

Batch 9000 is a pretty polarizing beer. I think its absolutely amazing and I'd love to try a BA version, but not for what its trading for.

3. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Has a trade been completed yet?

FUNKPhD and Hindsight like this.
  4. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

tut2528, aasher, blvdlvr and 6 others like this.
  5. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

6. fortsambo

fortsambo Savant (250) Colorado Feb 14, 2011

Monkey see, monkey do. That's how the trade forums work.

NarcoSolo, cavedave and SeaWatchman like this.
  7. RyanMM

RyanMM Aficionado (210) Michigan Mar 12, 2009

I had it at the Detroit Beer Fest.

I loved Batch 9000. I had it fresh when it was first released. It's STILL getting better with age.

The BA version is seriously ridiculously awesome. Anyone who doesn't think so should POUR THEIR SAMPLE IN MY MOUTH.

ediaz, cfrances33 and mlefevre like this.
  8. Hindsight

Hindsight Savant (255) Ohio Oct 8, 2011

JohnB87 likes this.
  9. scud

scud Savant (335) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

Try it before you bash it.

claaark13 and cfrances33 like this.
  10. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

A 4.0 beer into bourbon barrels makes it a 4.5 beer automatically I thought?

11. ROBSTARR

ROBSTARR Savant (370) Michigan Aug 31, 2009

A. How could you not like Batch 9000 ? B. How could you not like it in bourbon barrels ? C. Who the hell would trade one of these for a Voodoo Doughnut ?

raymo55, JohnB87 and scud like this.
  12. cfrances33

cfrances33 Champion (760) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

As someone who currently has a bottle FT, perhaps I am biased, but I've had it on tap 3 times at the Eccentric Cafe, and I am truly a fan of it. Are some of the ISOs absurd... Yes. Is it good enough to land LP Gueuze/kriek/framboise (which it has, not with me though)? Yes. Me? I got a bottle of HF civil disobedience 4 for a bottle, and I am more than happy with that trade.

I understand that batch 9000 is a very polarizing beer, but for me, the barrel aging eliminated many of those undesirables.

If you really want it boiled down to a simple comparison, at least from me, BB Batch 9000 is as good or better than Black Note. But hey hate all you want on something I'm assuming you've never had. If you have, sorry you didn't like it.

Zaphog, JohnB87, scud and 1 other person like this.
  13. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Quit hatin'. I made the same face as your avatar the first time I tried it. Except I felt so much more buff.

14. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I see the OPs point based on HIS review of Batch 9000, but his is a full point lower than average so clearly he will like BB9000 a full point lower than average. Everyone's entitled to an opinion and certainly some of the ISOs are laughable.....which is pretty much normal anymore anyway. As usual my guess is the truth lies somewhere in between.

Also, LPs for BB9000 seems pretty fair to me.

gklover1 and cfrances33 like this.
  15. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (645) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

I see both sides of the story. The best argument for me seeking out a bottle would be to consider the following base beer and BA big brother:

Dark Lord
    Bourbon Dark Lord (or any BADL for that matter)

shutyourface, gklover1 and stxSS07 like this.
  16. As someone who wasn't a fan at all of Batch 9000 fresh, I have to say that some age has done that beer good, so I'd imagine that it aging in barrels instead of a 12oz bottle has resulted in a great beer.

17. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

I had it on tap a few weeks ago at the cafe and it's amazing. It was worth it for me to drive 5 hrs round trip on a week night to pick up an allocation. Traded one and plan to sit on the other two for at least a year. Keep in mind this batch was brewed in Jan 2010 and has been in the barrel for over two years (not that it necessarily automatically makes it any better). Larry did a great job on this one.

18. Ya dude, i hear ya. People act like its the end all be all of beer. Its just a variation. Shit, im affraid to answer a beer mail of someone offering to to help a brotha out.

19. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Still looking for that Voodoo Donut. No replies still....

20. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

Hey I sent ya a mesg, was it a joke thread?

21. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (710) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

Yes... he should have used the [/s] (end sarcasm) tag after saying he had no replies.

22. GRBrew

GRBrew Savant (295) Michigan Jan 12, 2009

I'm probably one that people think is looking for too much. I've had the beer several times on tap and think it is better than black note. It was also 26.50 and there are 1502 bottles. If I don't get any offers I think are good then I will be happy drinking them myself.

mlefevre, JohnB87 and FUNKPhD like this.
  23. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Win-win situation

24. How hard was it to get and is it still for sale?

25. Romulux

Romulux Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 28, 2008

(Insert Beer name) gets released

ISO: WTF! (lowballing mofo's)

FT: WTF! (guy is an over reaching d-bag)

Seems like SOP, to me.

26. apocalypsezombie

apocalypsezombie Initiate (0) May 12, 2012

lets see... 1500 bottle count. Brewery only. A majority of the population has to drive a bit to get there...

So its worth T-25. :)

Brew33 and yamar68 like this.
  27. Sean9689

Sean9689 Advocate (705) Illinois Mar 17, 2009

It's delicious beer and with the age and barrel treatment, it's transformed an okay beer into an excellent beer. I would take BB9k over Black Note for sure. What's it worth? That's up to the trader. Would I trade one for a Lou Pepe (whatever), no. I think this beer is in KH and BCBVS territory...

MacJenkins, waltersrj, Zaphog and 2 others like this.
  28. cetherid

cetherid Savant (395) Indiana Aug 23, 2010

Shouldn't everyone be allowed to make whatever ISO:FT offer they want? What may seem "laughable" to one person may be "generous" to another. I know of plenty of trades that went down that most of BA would consider "unfair". Both sides were happy...that's all that matters. If you personally don't like the trade...just ignore it.

29. GRBrew

Reminds me of how hard it was to get beat. How many more bottles were there? That's right, a shit ton.

JohnB87 likes this.
  30. GRBrew

3 bottle limit. It will probably be gone today.

31. Those FT/ISO offers don't bother me as much as this does:

FT: Abner ISO: BCBVS

What the heck is this BA world coming to?

32. sarro

sarro Savant (345) Michigan May 12, 2009

Totally agree.

33. PoopChute69

PoopChute69 Initiate (0) Poland Oct 24, 2012

ISO, brah.

34. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (425) New York Jan 30, 2011

A great guy and BA BeRanger is hooking me up - Many thanks bro. I got one comin backatcha

sarro likes this.
  35. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (425) New York Jan 30, 2011

I agree too - I trade 4 Pumkings for a black 10 black tuesday
    I traded a le bleu for a FFF BA behemoth
    I sent a Brute vertical for locals to a friendly BA and his Mrs.

Give it a rest, it is only beer.

MacJenkins and takach79 like this.
  36. I laughed when I saw one a few days ago for 2x KH. I just put up an ISO with a Melange no.3 for trade, hopefully I will get a bite.

sarro likes this.
  37. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (380) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

That was mine, so I'll bite.

I traded an Abner previously 1:1 for CBS (proposed by the other BA), so I'm not doing anything crazy here, despite what your condescension suggests. Have you had Abner? It's wonderful, and my hope is there is some BA who remembers he grabbed a Vanilla off a shelf in Chicago and doesn't focus his life on gleaning every last bit of trade value from the fact it isn't brewed anymore. If not, I'm cool with that, and maybe I'll offer something else.

vonnegut21 and JerryM1984 like this.
  38. GregSVT

GregSVT Savant (475) Texas Jul 1, 2009

Probably not. I offered a 1,400 bottle Jester King limited release and got crickets. It seems when a beer like this first comes out people ask the world or hold them to see what gets offered up. I may try later.

39. I think Jester King does not have the same recognition that Bells and Bruery, etc. have, so I don't know if that is the best example.

csano likes this.
  40. GregSVT

GregSVT Savant (475) Texas Jul 1, 2009

It's a collab with Mikkeller aged in whiskey barrels. Also the first barrel aged stout they've released in bottles. I also said I have 2012 BT or my gots up for trade and Melange #3 is on that list. Just saying...

eyeenjoybeer likes this.