1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BA beers -- how many breweries brew beers specifically for barrel aging?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by stevegoz, Feb 18, 2013.

1. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

Okay, so I know that GI BCBS is made from a stout that the brewers (or at least Brett Porter) consider more or less undrinkable in its native form, as it's so thick and sickly sweet. And I've read dozens of times that KBS is not made from FBS, but from a specialized Founder's stout.

OTOH, I've also read that the CW BA stouts are made from their Solstice Imperial Stout.

Do we know the provenance of other barrel-aged beers outside of the obvious instances in which a brewery just adds "barrel aged" or something similar to the name of one of its other beers?

Is my working hypothesis -- that the best barrel-aged beers result from the use of a base beer that isn't commercially available because it has some specific characteristics that work better in a barrel than straight into a bottle or keg -- generally true? (What is the base beer of the highly regarded Parabola and Sucaba? For the Fifty-Fifty Eclipse stouts?)

Apologies if this topic has been talked through recently.

2. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I've always been more conserned with the type & quality of the barrel as well with the length of time the stout has aged in it, than with the notion of what kind of stout was used. But you raise a valid point. Since barrel aged stouts are the new trend in big beers, isn 't it good business sense for a brewery to develope a specific base beer to use that is brewed with particular characteristics needed to create a great barrel aged beer?

3. For the Eclipse stouts, the base beer is called Totality. It's sold on its own on tap and in bottles.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14936/53580

In my opinion, it's a pretty solid stout but the barrel aged versions are generally much better.

4. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Firestone walker brews beers to blend for their Anniversary beers
    The Bruery for their sour program

Cheers!