1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

BA Bigfoot

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by bifrost17, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Savant (345) Oregon Mar 15, 2008

Hop & Vine will get their case next Wednesday afternoon. Limit 1.

2. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Super Deli Mart.

3. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Got mine yesterday.

4. draheim

I see how it is. ;)

5. Mine was bought tonight.

6. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Hopefully mine will be bought tomorrow. Damn, it sucks we have to be so secretive about this. From what I've heard though they plan on doing a lot more production in the future. Good hunting guys!

7. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I think it's funny how secretive we're being about it, but we all understand why....haha. Just for the record, I only got 2, didn't wanna be too greedy, gotta share the wealth!

8. draheim

Well I'm not being secretive... anymore. I picked up a bottle @ Full Throttle yesterday afternoon. I'm still in the market for one more, so if anyone has any solid leads (north of downtown Seattle, south of Snohomish County line) feel free to BM me! I'll be grateful. Cheers!

9. ditto. except that I dont have one yet.

10. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (405) Washington Sep 11, 2011

Are you a regular at Full Throttle? I ask because I had an interesting experience there yesterday picking up a bottle for myself...

11. draheim

It was my second time in the shop, so no, not a regular. But now that I know it's about a 20-minute bus ride from my office, I might become one.

I doubt your experience had anything to do w/ me, I just walked in (probably around 3:45) and there were a couple people in line @ the register. I just minded my own business til I could ask about the BA Bigfoot.

There I go again w/ my play-by-play...

12. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (405) Washington Sep 11, 2011

Yeah, I think I showed up shortly after that. When I lived in West Seattle, I stopped by a few times, but it's easily been a year+ since I've been there.

When I asked about the BA Bigfoot, I wasn't kindly greeted. "Have you been here before? I'm going to have to do something about this, all these people on the Internet are telling their friends to come buy the beer and there's none left for my regulars. Not everyone has Facebook. Not everyone has an office job. How do you spell your name? Hm... not in here..."

All I could do was say, "I understand," and reiterate that, while I'm not a regular, I'd been there before and would have been there more often if I hadn't moved to Shoreline.

I thought I wasn't even going to get a bottle. Once I handed her my ID, she searched her computer and found my name. "Oh, there you are."

"Yes, I'm on your mailing list and I have this little stamp-card..."

"Yes, I see that. Thanks for coming out of your way..."

Anyway...it was awkward and I was a little blindsided by the treatment.

If you go, don't mention The Internet, even though she posts pictures of new arrivals...

13. draheim

That is odd. I had a little conversation with her about how the brewery had been rude to her regarding this particular release, but that was all. She didn't check my credentials or ask for a passport or anything. I also had a stamp card, but didn't bring it out until after I was making the transaction. And I did spend a little time seeing if there was anything else of interest while I was in the shop, but (as I also explained to her) I've been buying a lot of beer lately so I need to be selective. I also explained that I've been waiting for this particular beer for about a year.

Maybe I set her up for that interaction with you, since I'm also not a regular and she didn't recognize me. Last time I was in there, someone else was on duty.

I guess if they don't want people to buy the beer, they shouldn't send out a tweet about it at 2:16 in the afternoon.

Lazerlobe likes this.
  14. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Savant (345) Oregon Mar 15, 2008

7 more bottles @ the hop & vine in PDX...

15. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

I just bought it at New Seasons

ellswrth likes this.
  16. 510a

510a Savant (415) Washington Jan 12, 2013

Thank God my local did not tweet or facebook pics, they only had one case , and I was able to grab 2 tonight. If you live near Lake Stevens, and are still looking for some, you might get lucky tomorrow yet. If you do BM me , I am actively looking to fill out a local tasting group.

17. Wow that is awkward.

"YOU HEARD SOMETHING ON THE INTERNET AND THEN BOUGHT SOMETHING FROM MY BUSINESS I AM OUTRAGED, SIR!!!!!111"

beertunes and jpbebeau like this.
  18. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (835) Washington May 12, 2005

Definitely awkward, but I understand where she's coming from. I got one of their bottles of peche N brett because I do shop there a lot (primarily because I like her customer service a I drive up I-5 from Tacoma back to Seattle pretty frequently). My impression was that that release may have been the tip of the iceberg with throngs of beer losers (myself included) calling and emailing to acquire this beer, most of which may never have shopped there before.

It's annoying. Whales bring out the worst in everyone.

19. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (410) Washington Nov 23, 2010

Just picked up mine today along with a buddy. Crack one tonight and share the other later, excited! Still a few in North Seattle, LC-Dub!

20. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (340) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

I had to put off tracking down a bottle until today, when I got payed, and thought I'd be shut out. As luck would have it, I found a few bottles this afternoon at Hollywood Whole Foods. Not sure if they're still there, but I only grabbed one so as to keep at least a couple on the shelves. Happy hunting to those of you still looking!

21. Lazerlobe

Lazerlobe Savant (315) Washington Mar 1, 2010

Why were we looking for this beer again? I see potential in a pair of years for this beer but it is those awkward teenage years right now where it's trying to act grown up but its voice keeps cracking and all of its advances are sloppy.

KiMiRaiK likes this.
  22. ellswrth

ellswrth Savant (355) Oregon Oct 7, 2003

Do you mean they should try again in 2 years? Or that you think stashing it in the cellar for a couple of years would help?

23. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

I'm having Deja Vue... I came in after you guys and received the last bottle allowed to us pesky internet ppl. She said the only reason she let me buy this one is because I called in advance and drove up from Tacoma. She said the rest were for her regulars because it wouldn't be fair if they didn't give the ppl w/o internet a chance to buy it...

Definitely needs something... Was a boozy mess IMO, my friend also got a bottle and offered to share. I declined.

24. Lazerlobe

Definitely lay it away for a year or two if you can. It has some potential down the line.

25. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (560) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Just picked up my bottle. Did I pay too much though? 19.99 + tax.

26. draheim

I think I paid around $16.50 for one bottle and $18 for the other. Plus tax of course.

27. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (560) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Thanks for the info. Would you say this was harder to come by than Peche N Brett?

28. draheim

For me it was about the same. Both took diligence, timing, and good luck.

29. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

I found this was loads easier to get than Peche N Brett was

30. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

I've seen it for $23

EDIT: Sry, meant to quote sukwonee on the $19.99 price tag

It was harder then Peche for me. I could have grabbed alot of bottles from different places and Peche is still available at Engine House No. 9, if your near Tacoma, WA.

31. Lazerlobe

It's all relative. They were all easy to find in the south (Oly and Tacoma) and ephemeral in Seattle area.

32. Any recent sightings around PDX?

33. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (235) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

Only considering the first release of PnB, BA Bigfoot was a lot harder to find in PDX, imo. Mainly because the distribution of PnB was sporadic. It hit and sold out one day at Beermongers and was still hitting grocery stores 2 weeks later. BA Bigfoot on the other hand, hit all in the same week and sold out in that same time.

And now theres the second wave of PnB making the rounds

Id be extremely surprised if there was some BA Bigfoot hanging out in PDX (other than in BA cellars ;) )

muchloveforhops3 likes this.
  34. draheim

If anyone in Seattle is still looking for this, Crown Hill/Holman Road QFC has three bottles sitting out, $15.