1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BA black magick?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by OrangeAmps, May 23, 2013.

1. Hey there,

looking to try the Pappy and/or Apple brandy versions. what should i expect to give up for these and how hard were they to come by? Any ideas or trades that you guys have done. Think i could do it with dark lord or something similar?

thanks

2. ok, thanks for the info!

3. Not even close with a Dark Lord. Barrel Aged Dark Lord is probably closer. Probably looking at Hill Farmstead releases as one of the few things from New England that would get it done easily.

claaark13 likes this.
  4. I think I traded a Lawson's Maple Barrel Fayeston and Double Sunshine for a PVW.

Both sides were happy.

5. jakeox

jakeox Initiate (0) Illinois Dec 15, 2012

I've done two trades involving Black Magick varieties from the most recent release. One was $4$ and involved a Hunapuh's and a few others like BCBCS, KBS, and Silent Night, and the other involved a Hunahpu's, Gates of Hell, and White Chocolate for two Black Magick varieties plus great locals to make up the $ difference.

The obvious conclusion is to offer a Hunahpu's (or, you know, something similarly limited). One potential issue is that there aren't that many of the Black Magick bottles out there, so it really depends on what people who have them are looking for. I wouldn't think DL is way off base. I also traded a DL for one of the BBVD varieties from this release, which were more expensive but seem not to be quite as sought after.

6. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (680) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

I wouldn't trade one bottle of the Black Magick variants for a regular Dark Lord, not even for the magical 2008. I'm not trying to be a dick, I just don't want the OP to get his hopes up.

I think the big rush of trading away the Voodoo release is over and most of what is left on the trading block will require more limited beers. OP, you can try with the DL, but it may not happen.

7. jakeox

jakeox Initiate (0) Illinois Dec 15, 2012

Not taken that way at all. I also wouldn't trade mine for DL because I have DL. I suspect many of the people who still have Black Magick for trade do too.

This is a good argument. There have been some pretty big offers lately, and I don't think they're all getting done. I don't know the numbers for the second release (which was limit 1 variety per person), but for the initial release there were ~500 of the PVW and BT versions, and less than 200 of the Laird's. That's small enough that you probably have to either hit a specific want of one of the few people still holding one, or blow them out of the water with a generous offer to shake one loose.

That said, I know Voodoo has more stuff in barrels right now. I don't think there's any Black Magick in the next batch, but I'm pretty sure they'll make more at some point.