1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BA Blackbeard

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by Head-high, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Head-high

Head-high Aficionado (140) Virginia Jun 15, 2012

Any of you Charleston folk know if this made it into bottles?
  2. raverjames

raverjames Savant (475) Virginia Dec 11, 2003

It has been bottle a couple times before. Nothing released in the last year.
  3. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

This is off of the website....

"Barrel Aged Blackbeerd is designated by black waxing: Jack Daniels ('09), Buffalo Trace Aged ('10), JD and Buffalo Trace ('11), Blanton's ('12)."

Makes it seem that this years was aged in Blanton' Bourbon. When have the BA bottes been released in past years?
  4. '10 and '11 came out during the summer. The '12 blantons has not been released and we haven't heard word of when it will be.
  5. Whenever I've asked, the answer is simply 'when it's ready'.

Maybe the blanton's just doesn't impart a lot of flavor... If that's the case, I'm sure Dave would be disappointed, I seem to remember him being a fan.
  6. Head-high

I was at the brewery 2 weeks ago and I swear Jamie said it was bottled and ready to label. She said it'd be out a week ago. I didn't see it released so I thought I'd see if you guys heard any thing. She said the best way to find the exact release date would be via their Facebook page. Also said it would not be announced more than a few days of it being available.
  7. It wouldn't surprise me. I haven't been by in a while.
  8. Mjmoser

If anyone wants to trade a bottle when it comes out let me know.
  9. I've asked that question a bit too. I'm guessing this fall.
  10. raverjames

Not likely to be out in a week. Besides, they are low key when releasing beers. They normally just release it with no warning.
  11. I asked a couple months ago when I was there, they said "soon". I asked a couple weeks ago when I was there, they said "soon". So my guess is it will likely be available in bottles soon.

I really thought it was going to be today, maybe that was just wishful thinking since I had the day off. Oh well, wrong again.
  12. Any new intel on this? I'll be in Charleston this weekend and would consider it a nice score to be able to get a bottle or two. Can any of the regulars clue me in on the details? Cash only? # bottles? Etc. Any help would be appreciated. On another note, if anyone hears of any beer events or special kegs being tapped in Charleston/Mt. Pleasant this weekend, please message me or chime in on this thread. I've done enough research and been to Charleston enough times to know the best spots but seeing the thread about '09 BA Blackbeerd being tapped a while ago got my heart racing.
  13. COAST is cash only for everything. They also have a tendancy to tap some version of Blackbeerd everytime I'm in town (seriously, it's happened the last 3 times) but as I have no trips currently planned I'm afraid I can't help beyond suggesting that you check out chsbeer.org though for a full calendar of events.
    gothedistance and FutureCowboy like this.
  14. COAST actually accepts credit cards now, they got one of those thins that connects to a smart phone and reads CCs. Also, if its COAST doing the tapping they will likely keep it on the DL into right before it happens. For the '09 blackbeerd that was recently tapped, they didn't even announce it during their regular AM announcement of " what's on tap for the day". Instead they announced it at like 5pm in the middle of the tasting day. Needless to say it still sold out before close at 7, but I was pretty upset cause I had worked that night and checked the FB page at like 1pm and no word of it. I went to sleep and woke up from a nap around 8 pm, saw the post and it was too late. I'm slightly bitter about it still. I'm just hoping they don't bust out the BA Blackbeerd tomorrow. I've been religiously following that FB page for months waiting for it, but I work tomorrow til 8pm, and if its release and I miss it I will be quite disappointed.
  15. Mjmoser

Any word on this release?
  16. I was at the brewery on Thursday, and they had it listed as "up next" on their board. Hopefully in the next week or two.
  17. Head-high

exposur3 and Mjmoser like this.
  18. It's not BA, but they do have Blackbeerd from 2011 for growler fills at the brewery.
    marine1975 likes this.
  19. I picked up a grolwer yesterday. I work early AM tomorrow, but def pumped to try the BB tomorrow night, had a taste at the brewery and it was deliciously roasty.
  20. Head-high

So do you know when they will have bottles of the BB Blackbeerd?
  21. I asked again when I was there and they said, "soon". Which has been the answer for approximately 3 months haha. But I'm gonna take a guess and say it will be released by next Sat. I don't think they will have it by tomorrow though. I base both those statements off nothing except intuition.
    Head-high likes this.
  22. AtlCarl

AtlCarl Aficionado (125) Georgia Feb 1, 2011

23. Awesome. I will be picking up some for sure. Been waiting months for this release.
  24. Anyone going that gets extra bottles please bm if you wanna do a trade for some...got plenty of MOAS, FW 15, Parabola, Sucaba, Event Horizon, Uncle Jacobs, BCS and Hardywood GBS to offer up
  25. Head-high

I live around the corner form one of you Beer Club guys(Hickory). Shared my Everette with whoever it was. Anyway I'm supposedto be getting some. If so I'll pm you and maybe set up an IP.
  26. You and I must have crossed paths over there at some point. Hit me up when you plan to head over this weekend...depending on how busy it is over there, I might be helping out around the brewery (if Jamie and Mike need some) but it would be nice to finally put a face with a BA name. =)
  27. Actually, I usually just stop in to grab a few bottles or a growler, and have never really hung around long enough to socialize. So we may have crossed paths, but odds are we have never made contact. I actually was there today to pick up a bottle of old nuptial (amazing btw), but I will be heading back on Sat for the BA BB. Ill let you know when.
  28. Head-high

Shit! They had Old Nuptial today?! Well damn!
  29. Head-high

The board listed growles only. So they had bottles of Old Nuptial? Appreciate any info in advance, I've been stalking Old Nuptial for a while.
  30. That was a typo, I meant growler. Growler only, from the 2011 batch. I'm drinking it now, wonderful BA barleywine.
  31. Rather disappointed I missed Old Nuptial, but the in-laws wanted to have dinner downtown and...

Saturday sounds like it's going to be crazy. Definitely send me a quick BM once you're headed up that way and I'll try to keep an eye out.
  32. I love coast. Pulling out the nuptials right before the ba blackbeerd when no one was looking. Hope there is some left sat.
  33. raverjames

I doubt Nuptials made it past today.
  34. If anyone is comming to the Old Fabbits Foot release and want to mule some BA Blackbeard for me I will say thank you with some good brew.
  35. Sounds great....BM when you get some!
  36. Im sure. Just funny they pulled it out though
  37. How crazy are we thinking. Their Facebook page makes it seem like it won't sell out til at least the Thursday tasting.
  38. Well, I've already been contacted by people from NC and GA that plan on making the trip Saturday morning. I don't think they'll be lines beforehand and whatnot, but a crazy day for COAST is people constantly in-and-out. Usually, it's around 20 people (give or take) casually drinking their tastings around the tables. I have a feeling there will be quite a few of non-regulars making the trek into town and just scooping bottles up (especially without a limit). That said, this year's batch is double the quantity from previous year's batches so I think it should hold over until Thursday, but there's no guarantee.
  39. If it did kick last evening, it will come again... :D
  40. FWIW, Old Nuptial was on last Saturday too.