1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BA Blackbeerd?

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by pippys85, Feb 26, 2013.

1. pippys85

pippys85 Aficionado (140) Illinois Mar 15, 2011

I am going to Charleston in a few weeks. Being from Chicago I am a little spoiled by the ba beers that I drink. The ba Blackbeerd looks and sounds tasty though. Is it still in any stores? Also what other ba beers should I keep an eye out for?
  2. raverjames

raverjames Savant (475) Virginia Dec 11, 2003

Not sure if you will find BA Blackbeerd now, as I believe Laura Alberts is out. However, I am a Chicago transplant drone years ago and can tell you Coast and Westbrook can easily hold there own against Chicago's best breweries. Just throwing that out there if you are looking for stuff to take home.
  3. If you are a BA fan you have to visit Westbrook when you are in town and check out their barrel room. I want to live there.
    gothedistance likes this.
  4. I'll trade you one for your Barrel Aged Owde Engwish Bahwey Whine ;)
  5. pippys85

How about for the straight jacket?
  6. pippys85

Looks like that trade fell through. I have much more then I have listed to trade and still looking for BA Blackbeerd.
  7. This year's batch (Blanton's) is very good. Maybe the best yet. Someone should be able to hook ya up.
  8. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

that's not saying a whole lot...
  9. Yes, clearly a shit-beer...

Blackbeerd Imperial Stout (2012) - Blanton's Barrel Aged...BA Rating 93
    Blackbeerd Imperial Stout (2011) - Barrel Aged Blend...BA Rating 92
    Blackbeerd Imperial Stout (2010) - Buffalo Trace Barrel Aged...BA Rating 92
    Blackbeerd Imperial Stout (2009) - Jack Daniels Barrel Aged...BA Rating 95
  10. ncaudle

please point out where I said it was a shit beer, or even a bad beer.
  11. Was that your intention behind the reply to Dan's comment above? If not, apologies, as sarcasm on the internet is rather difficult to distinguish...
  12. This year's BA Blackbeerd is much better (IMO) than a lot of more expensive and/or more hyped/name-recognized BA stouts.
    raverjames likes this.
  13. Ryan, me and my wife are always talking about inventing the "sarcasm font". It would solve many conversations. Pippy send me a bm and maybe we can figure something out. I have one extra I don't want to trade but if we can work something out ill try to help
    rbradley likes this.
  14. Also I'm not sure about other regions but us in SC are a bunch of sarcastic bastards.
    johntangus and FutureCowboy like this.
  15. Mike, you and wife should definitely get that worked up. It would alleviate me from always putting my foot in my mouth on here...LOL. Also, I've got a few bottles left (in case you want to hold onto that last bottle) and sent Pippy a message before...trying to secure a few bottles to bring in during one of my next visits to the brewery.
  16. ncaudle

not my intention.
    I probably didn't work it the best but even your list of rankings for the 4 versions show they are all roughly the same
  17. What he said!
  18. csbinva

csbinva Savant (265) Virginia Jan 13, 2010

They could put the beer in champipple barrels and I would still buy the shit out of it, damn I love it!
  19. Lol, you people. If the OP doesn't get a line on the beer I can hook him up. I just don't live in Charleston.
  20. Love the 2012 Blantons, its the only one Ive had, but its excellent IMO. BTW off subject but anyone else have the new batch of Dave Brown. Holy pepper heat.
  21. Is that the batch that was pouring at Brewvival? I didn't think it had much heat. The Ghost Rider from Palmetto was surprisingly good and definitely had some burn.
  22. Im not sure. I would imagine it is the same batch. But I cant imagine anyone drinking this and not thinking it has a high level of heat. I love spicy things, Im the kind of person who always orders the hottest wing sauce available at bars, and I certainly think this is hot/spicy.
  23. Still need to try Dave brown. I had ghost rider at Bowens island and I got very little if any heat.
  24. Interesting. Maybe they punched it up for the festival? I remember someone on that side pouring out of a corny or two, I just don't remember who it was.
  25. If the version @ Brewvival is identical to what's pouring @ the brewery now, it definitely got kicked up a few notches from last year. So sayeth the source: "2013- More Smoked Jalapenos and Habaneros, 3#/7bbls." Also, so sayeth my mouth.
  26. Sorry, I meant punched up the heat on Ghost Rider. There was a good amount of pepper flavor in the Dave Brown, I just didn't think too much heat.
  27. I thought it was 7 lbs per 3 bbls?
  28. COAST has a 7bbl system.
  29. I defer to you though. I must have mishead Jamie. Bottom line is, its got some heat!
  30. Well with Mexican cake we put the peppers in the fermenter which was a 60 bbl batch. Coast has a 7bbl brewhouse but the fermenters are bigger. Not that it matters. Just saying. Also 3lbs seems like a whole lot. Really want to try it.
  31. pippys85

Are the Old Time's being released any time soon?
  32. No date for old time has been set yet :(
  33. Any more Apple Brandy barrel aged goodness?
  34. pippys85

Yeah whatever you do save me a bottle of that as well. Coming all the way from Chicago and will be at the brewery next Thursday. Can't wait to get some of that southern hospitality;)
  35. Save a bottle of what?
  36. Guessing Apple Brandy Barreled Tripel