1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BA Edmund

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Hopsiam14, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Hey,

Has anyone opened any bottles of the December '13 release yet? I gave one to a friend and he opened it last night and it was infected. Anyone else experience the same thing? And does Fitgers do anything for these in the way of reimbursement?

Cheers!
    Ryan

2. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Yes. Multiple friends have tasted infected bottles.

Someone popped a bottle at a small tasting a couple weeks ago. Horrific. Not that nice, gentle Peruvian Morning bad, but full on, one sip, get-that-the-hell-away-from me infected. I didn't have the last infected batch, but this one seems to have turned putrid in a big hurry.

3. dasmusik

dasmusik Savant (255) Minnesota Oct 25, 2011

Nooooooooooooo!

4. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (415) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

Really...twice now. I returned my two bottles and got two new ones, now this again?!?

5. My bottle was also bad from this release.

6. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (515) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

I had one that was along the lines of Tart of Darkness. Managed to finish it, but it definitely wasn't the sublime beer it was two years ago.
    Fitger's has been less receptive to the notion that the beer has become infected for a send year in a row. I've heard (second hand) people being told that is how it was supposed to taste and that they just don't know what a BA stout should be, to people being told maybe they shouldn't buy it again...

I really love Fitger's, but they do have an un-addressed issue that could potentially harm their reputation.

bigdaddypolite likes this.
  7. Yeah the December 2012 batch was also definitely infected as well. I opened a couple bottles from the 2012 batch last summer, and they were completely undrinkable.

The pre-2012 batches were incredible, though. They were like a chocolate malt with smooth barrel notes, and drank great over the 1-2 years that I held on to them.

8. I found it very odd that this last batch had a "warning" sticker on it claiming that this Barrel Aged Imperial Stout was NOT meant to age. 1st time I ever seen anything like that. After pouring 90% of the bottle down the drain, I found that label even more interesting. Love this brewery, but this one offering has been a disappointment lately.

9. maximum12

Has anyone who bought bottle contacted the brewery? I was bummed out I missed the release this year (again) but it sounds like this might be Fitger's Peruvian Morning (sans the admission of wrong-doing, at least yet).

10. It seems to me that putting a warning sticker on a bottle of beer basically saying drink our beer pretty soon because it may or may not be any good if you dont is probably not a good long term business plan.

Cyclone8 and will1256 like this.
  11. Hopsiam14

I called today, they will be calling me back. Will keep you posted. Corey, I have another we can open together.

12. Mista

Mista Aficionado (205) Minnesota Nov 10, 2011

Good luck! I've opened three bottles and all were infected!

Please keep us posted if they offer some sort of compensation.

13. maximum12

What did I do to you? :D

14. Hopsiam14

LOL, I'll bring back-up ammunition that day! Maybe I'll dig up some other infected stuff from my cellar :)

maximum12 likes this.
  15. Hopsiam14

As a follow up to this initial post, Fitger's did contact me earlier this week and offered to refund my money if I bring them my full or empty bottles of BA Edmund. They were fast to reply and the woman who called was very helpful.

dasmusik likes this.
  16. Mista

Mista Aficionado (205) Minnesota Nov 10, 2011

Did you ever get a refund?

17. josephwa

josephwa Advocate (610) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

I thought I saw something earlier this year about a refund. I would certainly hope they would take care of you guys.

18. Hopsiam14

I haven't been refunded yet but that's because I haven't been back up to Duluth yet to return the bottles. I will be up there next weekend.