1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

Ba hi fi release -- recap

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Khazadum, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Khazadum

Khazadum Savant (395) Illinois Apr 29, 2010

Good? Bad? Ugly? The beer isn't the same thing that was draft pour, for everyone's information. The worst barrels that wouldn't settle in terms of sediment were what was poured on draft. Bottles should be even better.

I dislike the drop in allocation mid-release. Any other comments?

2. hannydawg

hannydawg Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 4, 2010

I also did not care for the drop in allocation. We knew there were 60 cases, and a six bottle limit which means if everyone opted for their full allotment, 120 would have gotten beer. Anyone paying attention to releases in the Chicagoland area should have known if they wanted beer, be one of the first 120 people there.

3. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (395) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

Oh no kidding about the drafts? It left a strange sticky, and somehow astringent mouthfeel. Also, it was much better cold than when it came down in temperature. I'm Glad to hear that the bottle should be better. The drop in allotment sucked. And it was silly to do a 9:30 ticket release for a 11:30 beer release, making everyone wait around to get their beer. Successful attempt to make additional money on sandwiches and drafts.

4. antoines15

antoines15 Savant (410) California Dec 14, 2008

Got there at 10:30, didn't get any bottles. I know craft beer is huge but this was a little much. Luckily, Frank (Lurchingbeast) and/or Pasta hooked me up with a bottle. Big shout-out to them for doing that. True Beer Advocates. Thanks again guys.

5. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

I was a huge fan of changing the allotment amount.
    I thought it was a great idea to piss off the 120 people that showed up early and waited outside in the cold... just allow 60 people that showed up late the chance to buy a few.

6. AleWatcher

Haha.
    I didn't spend a dime on anything there except for a pour of the HiFi on tap. I'm sure they did make extra money from a bunch of suckers though...

7. Grohnke

Oh don't get me wrong, I didn't buy anything but a draft of the BA hi fi.

8. I bitched about dropping the allotment when I was 137 and showed up at 9:05' and they did. Would have been pissed if I didn't get any at all and showed up 30 monutes before they opened and 2 1/2 hours before the release. Sucks if you showed up at 6am and only got 4 but really, get a life I'm sorry.

TATURBO likes this.
  9. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I can see why it sucks that they dropped the allotment but 4 was enough.

@antoines15, no problem man. Good seeing you again.

10. Jips

Jips Savant (365) Kansas Nov 29, 2007

I had a great time, some of their other stuff was great too including an american barleywine and vanilla and choco'd milk stout. Had an entire table to ourselves, very comfortable. Fair amount of people there but it wasn't crowded, great to meet up with woodchopper, his gal and crew too.

I had no problems with the drop in bottle limit, spreads the love out. Hell, they could have changed it to two.

TATURBO likes this.
  11. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

I thought it was a pretty well run affair considering the crazy amount of people packed into that brewpub. I ended up being number 127 after showing up at 9am so I was pretty damn excited that they dropped the limit to 4.

*Side note* Anyone else surprised at the amount of bottles on Ebay? I thought it would be one or two at most.

12. foobula

foobula Savant (340) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

I showed up at 9am, going on what the brewery posted beforehand -- "we'll open the bar at 9:30 because that's when we expect people to start showing up." Was pretty amazed to get #126. I wasn't going to buy 6 so didn't mind the drop in the bottle limit. But man, having 4 pours of the Hi-Fi plus a couple more was not the best decision. Drinking 11% ABV beer like it's going out of style is not wise, even when it is going out of style.

13. thetomG

thetomG Savant (440) Illinois Feb 17, 2010

IMO lower allotment Was OK...BUT they should've just set it at 4 from the start ...A bit naive for any brewery to not realize that the game has permanently changed At this point...

14. mishuggah

mishuggah Savant (275) Illinois Jul 14, 2009

I just saw the lowered allotment as a chance to spend more money on ridiculously overpriced, substandard bar food. #SilverLining

15. I second this. I have zero problems leaving with four bottles instead of six. But remember: Flossmoor Station can't count. Remember when they had 90 cases?

16. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

So this event was 2 days after I had my jaw broken by a customer at the restaurant I work at (long, ridiculous story). My face was swollen as hell, I missed out on bottles, couldn't drink, and still had a good time. Got one pour on tap, talked to some cool people, ended up setting up a trade for a bottle.

They were surprised at how busy it was, and the gentleman who seemed to be running the show seemed more distraught over people missing out than a lot of people were about missing out. He said they had never been close to that busy for a release and they expected to be busy, but not to have almost twice as many people as there was beer for. Would have been great to get my bottles, but at the end of the day I knew that missing out was a possibility and made the most of my afternoon.

17. JohnPPutz

JohnPPutz Aficionado (180) Illinois Jan 23, 2011

Yeah the lowering of the limit was fine with me as well. Me, my GF and buddies were right behind ya in line. I'm still shocked they didn't expect people to start showing up until 930 though.

18. rudylaw

rudylaw Savant (350) Illinois Apr 29, 2007

And then there was that asshole yelling at that poor lady trying to park her car.

BrewmasterNate likes this.
  19. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

Yeah, that's why I showed up at 9:45. I ended up missing bottles by 3 people. Had there been even a case or two and I would have been fine. If they said 60 form the start you bet your ass I would have been there a lot earlier. Oh well though, what can you do.

20. kalvarez

kalvarez Aficionado (205) Wisconsin Jul 22, 2010

Well it was a beer release what was he supposed to do? Stand on the sidewalk like everyone else?

rudylaw likes this.
  21. oreo

oreo Savant (260) Illinois Jul 29, 2010

While I don't mind at all that the allotment got dropped to 4, after reading this comment, I wish it had not. I had a great time at 6am cracking bottles with my friends. I have a life, it just so happens that it revolves around my love of beer and love of hanging out with my friends who enjoy this hobby as much as I do. Sorry you do not feel the same way.

pmoney, EricCioe, fear025 and 2 others like this.
  22. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

That fine specimen of man happens to be a law enforcement professional, and he was just making sure that old lady didn't hit any of the poor pedestrians hanging out in the parking spots. A bit loud and out of his jurisdiction he may have been, but he takes his job very seriously.

oreo likes this.
  23. Yes, I enjoy hanging out with friends and drinking at days such as DLD when it is allowed. But, when the brewery specifically said in it's blog "Please, do not drink outside the brewery or share inside" I am a person who listens and respects breweries wishes. When people do what ever they want at these releases/events that's when they stop doing them! I knew I would piss of some people with my previous comment, but that was sort of the point and I don't really care, it's just how I feel about it. Shit is getting so crazy with craft beer, and people take it way to serious and I just think there is a lot of better things we can all do with our time then show up hours before a beer release, drive to a liquor store the minute a beer is up for sale (which I am guilty of as well), or chase beer trucks in order to get the newest rare release.

24. In his defense, at least he wasn't the one who told that woman we were all gathered for Whitney Houston's funeral as she walked down the steps to get to the Metra station.

Side note: do you think she ever expected to encounter a drunk cop that early in the morning?

25. weatherdog

I don't see anywhere on the blog that they didn't want drinking outside in line. I arrived at 5:55am and came prepared with an opaque coffee mug, a few beers to share, and ready to have a fun couple of hours with friends outside.

Also, please name something you would rather be doing before 9am on a Saturday? Sleep is the only thing that comes to my mind and I'll happily sacrifice a few hours to both guarantee my allotment and have fun with some friends, some of who I only see at large beer events like this.

The truth is, that when a brewery says first come first served and you don't have to foresight to know the 'showing up 30 minutes before the release' game has permanently changed, then it is your fault for missing out. Don't blame us earlybirds for adapting and now knowing how the brewery release game is played.

yeahnatenelson likes this.
  26. They didn't show up late.

People that show up at 630 are what is wrong with this hobby.

I'm ecstatic they cut the amount.

I would have gotten beer anyways.. but seeing people that take beer too seriously get upset about an allotment cut is well worth it.

clarkw42 and MasterSki like this.
  28. They definitely specifically said it in the comments.

29. oreo

You certainly did not piss me off. I just found your comment to be pretty idiotic. Especially since we all know beer releases have changed. Also, the brewery, or the police for that matter, did not seem to care when we were drinking outside. They did not stop us from sharing bottles inside either. I will not stop showing up to brewery releases 5+ hours early. Often times the line outside is much more fun than the release itself.

I do agree with your chasing rare releases comment. Truck chasers should be shot on site.

decadance likes this.
  30. decadance

decadance Savant (395) Texas Mar 14, 2010

Showing up early morning, breaking out some treats for similarly situated folks, is nearly always the best time of a release. Thats what the BA community is supposed to be.

31. AleWatcher

Here's why I take issue: they announced it as "first come first served" with 60 cases and a 6 bottle limit.
    To then change horses mid-race is bullshit.
    "First come first serve" is a fair system-- changing the rules during the release is not.

32. oreo

I disagree. I would rather be at a beer release at 6:30 than sleep. Releases are a blast and normally the most beer related fun I have all year. I also was not upset that it got cut, allowed for more people to get bottles. I just think people who showed up at 9:30 or 10 should know better.

clarkw42 and Grohnke like this.
  33. weatherdog

Please explain to me why that is what's wrong with this hobby. From my perspective I'm standing with friends sharing beers, very similar to what I do many nights, except on these days I get some bottles to take home at the end. Brewery beer releases are one of my favorite aspect of this hobby. I see a ton of cool people and drink a ton of cool beer.

I personally hate what beer store releases has become. That is what's seriously wrong with the hobby. While I may work at a wine/beer store, we are small enough not to get any highly desired allotments, so it's not like I can get all the rare bottles with ease. You will never see me going from store to store, entering raffles, getting on lists, etc. to get the good bottles. If it's a right place, right time kind of thing I'm happy to buy one. That's how I ended up with my only bottle of Bramble. Otherwise if I just want to taste it I'll gladly pay $25 in a calm setting of a bar or restaurant and split the bottle with my wife. Craft beer is supposed to be fun, when chasing bottles turned into work I stopped doing it. Brewery releases, as long as the wait in line can be supplemented with the sharing of beers, will always be fun and I'll continue to show up as early as possible to have fun as long as possible.

There is nothing wrong with that!

34. Grohnke

You mentioned that "everyone knows that showing up early to a Flossmoor release doesnt guarantee bottles", then Nick posts to come 2 hours early...o_O

35. AleWatcher

That is quite a quotable quote! I couldn't agree more.

36. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (860) Michigan May 8, 2006

I would show up to certain releases that I know a number of my friends would be at even if I am not interested in the beer being released. The line, the people and the sharing is what makes this hobby great.

37. weatherdog

Please link me to the area where it said we could not drink outside in line. I could not find it. I knew the police may have had a problem with open containers on the sidewalk which is why I brought a opaque coffee mug to not draw attention. Since the lines for these things are always well behaved the police didn't seem to mind when they drove by. They said no outside beverages inside and I listened by opening all the beers I brought before 9:30. I then patronized the brewery by buying draft BA Hi-Fi while in the pub.

38. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

As long as I get mine screw everyone else! Love that mentality, had you missed out you'd probably be the sorest person here.

39. I hate to break it to you (I am no longer associated with Flossmoor.. so I can't speak from first hand knowledge here as it pertains to this release).. but pleasing you.. a special release customer who never goes to the brewpub and never buys Flossmoor beer, aside from when a special release comes your way and you need to "Collect" or "Commoditize" it.. is not Flossmoor's priority. Your qualms are moot.

They shouldn't and likely don't care what you think. Now, only showing up for releases like this doesn't disqualify you from the customer pool.. but, to be fair.. who really cares what someone from a whiney beer community has to say about your beer release that sold out immediately? If you had a problem, perhaps you could have stepped out and not supported the brewery.. I know a guy behind you would have taken your alotment (And while I wasn't actually there.. I heard line cutting involving BA people at the front of the line was a huge issue).. and I guarantee you that next time they have a "Rare OMG Barrel Aged" beer release, you'll still be in line. Like I said, no one cares what you think.. and what you are saying, isn't going to change your behavior going forward.

You may think the change was bullshit.. but in all honesty, what this site has created in special releases.. in commoditization of beer bottles.. in 5 AM lineups.. is what is bullshit.

40. ...I think you jumped to a conclusion there.

I got bottles.. I don't care they cut the allotment. A brewery needs to do what it needs to do.

If I didn't get bottles, it wouldn't be the end of the world.. a situation many are lamenting on not because they didn't get bottles, but because they got 2 less than they thought they would..