1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ba hi fi release -- recap

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Khazadum, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

Ditto. You can sit here and bash people for showing up early all you want but some people actually do make a day out of it. Who are you to say they don't go to the brewery and support it. Continuing to call people out only makes you look whiny and really makes me think it would be worth it to get there early to be in line with people I enjoy than having to deal with those who would bitch the whole time.
  2. oreo

oreo Savant (250) Illinois Jul 29, 2010

Only one person cut in line in the big group up front. We all told him to go to the back, but he did not. I was not about to start a fight over a line cut. Our whole group was there by 7am at the latest. And we asked the people in line if we could go in front, and they all said "sure go ahead" (there were only about 20 people at that point). So whoever says line cutting at the front was a problem is obviously wrong :)
  3. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

So these places in no way profit from these "special release" only customers? Isn't the hope some WILL become regulars? Isn't the spread of information from the "whiney beer community" what allows them to start charging more, making more, and profiting more from? I think the relationship is fully reciprocal and if breweries want to stay competitive and PROFIT (which is kind of the point of a business), then yes, they SHOULD care at least a little about said things.
  4. oreo

Agreed. Our group spent a lot of money inside flossmoor that day. I saw TRAYS of draft hifi being brought to tables. Just because we live an hour away, and do not normally visit the brewery, does not mean we can't enjoy this one time delicious beer.
    Shagtastic likes this.
  5. Continuing to call out people? Dude.. I hate to break it to you.. but I'm gonna call out people that are full of it.

I called out one person.

I'm sorry if you consider it an attack of the "Advocacy" you guys promote over here.
  6. rudylaw

rudylaw Savant (340) Illinois Apr 29, 2007

You misremember... we told the old man coming from bible study that!
  7. Urbancaver

Urbancaver Advocate (520) Ohio Nov 13, 2009

What about those of us with 5 mules?
    I was expecting 3 cases and only ended up with 2 cases :(
    lisomiso, libbey and Shagtastic like this.
  8. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

No one is making you stay buddy. I do think this is advocacy and I believe it does help increase awareness. You haven't stopped bitching since the thread started. Being a fanboy is one thing but being ignorant about how things work now is a totally different one
  9. You are digging a hole.
    Urbancaver likes this.
  10. drewba

drewba Savant (365) Illinois Nov 14, 2009

I would have ordered dozens of breakfast burritos, had the kitchen been open when we were let inside. I was more than happy to get a couple pours of BA Hifi, but having to wait hours to get food was disappointing and a lost opportunity for Flossmoor.
  11. willseph

willseph Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 31, 2011

Couldn't agree more! Why not open up the kitchen early? I don't care if you don't serve breakfast anymore, if you know you're going to have 150 people on hand sitting around waiting for 2-5 hours, it's a bad business decision not to feed them!
  12. kalvarez

kalvarez Aficionado (185) Wisconsin Jul 22, 2010

True. I can't imagine many people would prefer being told a joke over being yelled at by a drunk guy at 7 am...
    JohnPPutz likes this.
  13. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (980) Ontario (Canada) Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

Any brewery that is still living in the 4-6 bottles/person age is a bit out of touch with reality. I'm a big fan of 2 bottle limits (one for now, one for later), although I'd be OK with 1 bottle if it gets bottles in as many fans' hands as possible (and off the secondary market).

What's the worst outcome if you set the limit too low? You end up selling the extras to those willing to stick around until the end of the release.

A lot of people complain that having low limits dissuades travel to distant events (i.e. "I won't go 500 miles to only get 2 bottles), but that just means local and regular customers are more likely to be successful.

As a brewery, I would want the maximum number of people in my distribution area to get my special releases as they're all potential future customers. It appears the sneak release (1-2 bottle limit) approach is the best way to achieve this goal, so kudos to Allagash and Bell's.

As far as events go - just have a ton of rare and unusual stuff on draft. People can line up and organize parties around those types of events (like they do for Younger).
  14. oreo

Flossmoor employees seemed seriously surprised that there were 200+ people waiting out front. I guess they were judging off last year which was very smooth and not a lot of people showed up. Live and learn!
  15. MasterSki

It's a BA Top 100 beer! What the hell were they expecting?!
  16. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

They were expecting last year's numbers. Something like 175 last year for the whole event, double that this year. But if this is the last time ever for this beer, which all signs would indicate, plus the craft beer explosion, it's not surprising they had a much higher turnout.
  17. MasterSki

That's just bad business. If I release a critically acclaimed, limited, product in a growth industry I'd have to be stupid to expect demand to stay flat. Flossmoor Station is roughly 10 miles from 3 Floyds - are they completely oblivious to the precedent being set down the street?

EDIT: I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Flossmoor is the only brewery I can think of that has made a poor/questionable decision in hiring AND firing the SAME head brewer.
    EricCioe likes this.
  18. oreo

They were expecting the same turnout. :)

I agree they should do a little research or better planning. Especially after kicking the case limit down to 60. EH
  19. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

Is Flossmoor management even aware of the existence of BA? Every decision of the
    past few years say otherwise.
    oreo likes this.
  20. oreo

When the guy came out to hand out tickets at 9:30, he seemed dumbfounded that there were people waiting, let alone 200. Dude, you were in there all morning, did you not look outside? :D
  21. BUNZILLA

BUNZILLA Advocate (645) Indiana Jan 14, 2011

Showed up late and enjoyed some BA Hi-Fi on draft with woodchopper. Big thanks to the gentleman at our table who graciously sold me a botttle.
    We went to FFF after the release and it was packed. Looks like FFF made a nice profit off the Floosmoor Station release.
  22. Losati

Losati Initiate (0) Utah Oct 6, 2006

This is hilarious.

I've never really gotten on the BA forums (though I've been a BA member for years), but I was at this release and heard some hilarious predictions from friends about what people would be saying here about it. And they all came true.

Also, we predicted that the beer would be on eBay within minutes for 4-5 times the cost, and that came true too. That's "advocacy" ladies and gentlemen.
  23. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

@Floosmoorbrewalum-- relax man. My complaint was merely in lowering the allotment during the release. Otherwise it was a good time. When AleSmith did the BA Speedway release and lowered the allotment to 1 bottle per person, people were upset... When FFF allegedly lowered the DL allotment to 3 per person half way through DLD last year, people were upset.
    Why would you not expect people to comment on it now?
    Also, I used to go to the brewpub quite often- at least twice per month...

@Masterski-- I really agree with you. I think a release like this should have been 2 bottles per person.... And it should have been designed and planned accordingly. At the very least, they should have said, "Allotment amount to be determined the day of event" and I would make no complaint whatsoever.

Cheers
    seeswo likes this.
  24. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

Well. I had quite a good time. I drove up from Louisville with two friends. We left at 5am EST. with pit stops we arrived at 9:05. I parked across the street and ran over to get in line. I was shocked at the line. I ended up being 141 while my friends were 142 & 144. I was worried that I wouldn't get a single bottle, which sucked. We sat down, ordered drinks and waited for the kitchen to open. Once it did, we got some really good food and waited again for them to start calling numbers. It went pretty fast. Just after noon they called for all of the last hand numbered tickets from 121-150. We proceeded to the line (which was really disorganized) and upon getting to the front of the line, we learned they had dropped the limit to 4. So I bought four and one of my friends got two which shocked me. He didn't like it, so he gave me both of them. I took my box out to the car and put it in the trunk. Then we left to go bottle shopping in Chicago.

The only complaint I have is the crowd control. But there were a lot of adults acting like children so there wasn't much that could have been done. I don't see why there is so much anger posted about this event. I loved it. And I drove ten hours round trip! It was almost everything a bottle release should have been, at least to me. It was my first. The only thing that made it annoying was, as I said, people acting like children. Now, had I not gotten any bottles, I would have been sad, but what could I have done? I know the alcohol doesn't help the situation but it seems to me that a few people need to just chill out. We are supposed to be a community. A community that understands one another. That learns from each other. That enjoy the craft and appreciate what we share in common. Try to remember this. I know the desire to have the new release is strong. And the elation of having it in your hands is wonderful. Just remember that we are in this to share the craft. Not hoard it just because you can. (sorry for the rant)
    BUNZILLA likes this.
  25. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Was he a larger guy?
  26. BUNZILLA

Woodchopper is a large guy the guy who sold me the Hi-Fi was average size guy
  27. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Large is the new average.
  28. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (355) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

I to m also glad they cut the allotment to 4 bottles as I was there at 845ish and was #121 in line. So driving 3 hrs each way was worth the trip. I was also able to enjoy a "few" on tap as well!

Thanks to flossmoor station for lowering the limit to 4 bottles a person

If I was there a little earlier I also would of understood the cut from 6 to 4 bottles and been fine with it too

Jamie
    BUNZILLA likes this.
  29. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

We must have been right near eachother- I was number 117. (I got there a few minutes before 9).
    oreo likes this.
  30. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (355) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

Ahh shucks guys I feel 50 lbs lighter. Ha ha. I'm Fun size!
    And I believe it was paul 's brother that offered me the bottle nd I said I'd give him 20 for it as my buddy Bunzilla didn't get any and I had 3 of mine spoken for with regular trading buddies! Or he would of got 1 from me. I just gave it to u bunzilla so you and chuck (his 80 year old dad which is awesome! ) Could try it together and its a thank you for getting me the box from 3floyds. Enjoy brother :) see ya at KBS. Thanks again for the guy that shared the beer!

Jamie
  31. BUNZILLA

Thanks for swooping that bottle for me bro
  32. MDunk

MDunk Aficionado (160) Illinois Sep 4, 2009

No problem! Glad to share the love
  33. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

"...get a life..."

I have one, and it's awesome. I woke up early and hung out with my friends drinking great beer at 6am; I got to laugh at joggers who drove to a location to run; I got to see a drunken police officer try to direct traffic outside the brewery (we love you Dave), and I didn't mind the allocation drop.