1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BA Imperial stouts worthy of a BCBS trade? Ones too good for BCBS trade?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Shawn_Sins, Jul 30, 2014.

1. I think these would be an eve. Trade for BCBS:

FW Parabola, BBAPt5th, Black note, KBS, BA speedway, BA Boris

Too good (or too rare) for BCBS?:
    Hanahpu, Black Tuesday, BA dark lord, deschuttes abyss, boulevard bba imp stout

What do u think? I know based in availability/rarity some beers may hold more "value" than BCBS, but based in quality BCBS is right on par (or better) than these other whalez. What do u think?

2. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Just an FYI Firestone Walker is available in Chicago, as are Black Note, KBS, and BA Boris when they are all released.

It won't go for brewery only releases unless quantity is involved.

BCBS is the best of all of them though, especially considering availability when its released.

3. At the end of the day, it boils down to taste preference for what one party is willing to trade with another party and ratios/price definitely merit consideration. Several items you listed as even for BCBS I would disagree on, but what matters is who you'd be trading with. I personally find it a little annoying to see all these what is beer 'x' worth or how big of a whale is beer 'y'... etc etc. I have personally had some really awesome BA hook me up with great beers I didn't think I could trade for because they were very generous, knew I wanted to try them, or I had something they really wanted to try regardless of the general bro concencus on it.

Drink beer that you like.

markgugs, mythaeus and Svyturys30 like this.
  4. Eclipse?

PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  5. Brutus627

Brutus627 Savant (350) Maine Feb 3, 2014

Quantity in a lot of cases will equalize rarity...not sure as much with bcbs but a ton of heady will pull some rare beer. All you can do is give it a shot, just know that for more rare stuff your going to have to part with more beer and probably have to be ok with a $4$ despairity...It's all about what the person on the other end of the trade is looking for and sometimes as has been stated people are really cool and won't rake you over the coals.

6. Shaimless

Shaimless Savant (260) Oregon Nov 20, 2013

Distribution and availability can play a big role here too...for example, I can still go out and buy Abyss locally where I am in Oregon, so I would trade all day for something like BCBS that didn't even make it to my town. Just the availability factor in this example trumps taste/preference/value any day of the week for me, even Wednesday. I guess you might call it relative perceived value?

mythaeus likes this.
  7. djmichaelk

djmichaelk Savant (385) Florida Jul 6, 2008

Er, wrong forum? This should probably be in Beer Trading Talk & Help.

8. Unless you're talking about a whale/whalish beer, the beer isn't "too good" or "not good enough" for any trade. Like some others, BCBS is one of those "middle of the road" beers in term of trade potential. With enough quantity, i.e above $4$, you can land harder to get beers. For $4$, you can land pretty any other limited beers including some of the ones you listed as well as harder to get D/IPA, etc. Just like other limited beers, it's timing that influences supply which impact your ability to trade.

blue-dream likes this.
  9. Mag00n

Mag00n Savant (380) New York Nov 21, 2008

I would say abyss is neither too good nor too rare for bcbs

cavedave likes this.
  10. word. I proposed a BCBS for Black note trade before and someone told me it's unfair bc black not is too rare. sucks yo

11. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (600) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Damn yo, doze whalez bro.

12. I'd say "more limited" as opposed to "too rare" is a better descriptor, and if used in that way, I'd tend to agree. Like several have mentioned though, it's all about what is agreed upon between traders and what your preferences guide you towards.

13. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

Don't trade BCBS or variants. Trade for them.

14. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Too good to trade, you adjust volume, not quite as good the same.

15. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I guess I must be only one confused? You are looking to trade for BCBS? Or, are you are looking to trade BCBS? You are in Virginia?

I ask because I can still get (as of 5 weeks ago) BCBS here, and I love Parabola.

Or, if you are looking to trade BCBS, keep in mind that there are those, like me, who can still get it, and it won't land beers like BA Speedway and BA Plead the Fifth.

And if you are looking to trade BCBS for BA Boris, my advice is drink the BCBS, forget the Boris.

Ckoz, tommyz, Kurmaraja and 1 other person like this.
  16. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

I think Boris is a darn good beer...But agree with everything else you said

17. cavedave

Me too. I also think it is way overpriced and not nearly as good as BCBS, which is all I meant by that.

18. Ckoz

Ckoz Aficionado (225) Michigan Feb 15, 2014

Must be nice to still have bcbs on shelves. The 4 cases we got in Michigan last time went pretty quickly :p

19. cavedave

We are in between two areas in our state that get beer we don't get here, and it seems we are always the last to get deliveries of almost everything. But the last two years we have been blessed with mountains of BCBS. The beer gods smiled on us for once :)

tsp247 and Ckoz like this.
  20. tommyz

They have always smiled on you guys in NY as you have always gotten Kuhnhenn stuff and im sure when they start putting out bottles in a big way NY will be happy :)

cavedave likes this.
  21. cavedave

It's true and I hate to complain. Especially as the local brew scene here in Hudson Valley is the best in the state, arguably the best in the tri state area (Conn., NY, NJ).

And thanks for the Kuhnhenn, purely love BB4D and DRIPA!

22. tommyz

I cant wait till bottles of Dripa start flowing like water..lol

chrisbokmuller likes this.