1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BA Old Raspy

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by lokieman, Jan 22, 2013.

1. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Anybody heard anything about bottles making it to Texas? Last year I was able to grab a couple bottles but this year haven't seen or heard anything. Only know that bottles keep getting shorted on orders but kegs are available. I posted on their FB page asking them what's up with bottles this year and they said they are forwarding my post to the Regional Sales Manager (BEK I guess). Anybody got any info...?
  2. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I would love to grab a bottle or 2. I know it's expensive, but it's soooo good. :)
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  3. lokieman

Stupid expensive but just can't help myself. Think kegs are going for around $450 for a 1/6 barrel...ouch.
  4. According to the TABC site, the label just got approved on 1-18-13, so hopefully it will be out soon!
    tx_beer_man and lokieman like this.
  5. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (475) Texas Oct 15, 2011

I just brought some back from Louisiana I picked up for $20!
    FUNKPhD and DanzBorin like this.
  6. lokieman

"Texas only received label approval for Barrel Aged Old Rasputin this week. You should see it pop up in the market in the coming days. There is twice as much inventory ordered in the state than last year. It is still limited so be sure to keep in close touch with your retailers! Cheers!"

Somebody (I guess the rep for TX) left this response on North Coast's FB page...
    ThirdEyePA likes this.
  7. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

Never had BA Old Rasputin. Old Rasputin alone is delish...on Nitro, monster. Thanks Cam & Lokie for the heads up...I'll certainly be keeping my eyes open.
  8. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Savant (370) Texas Nov 7, 2011

I really hope I can grab a bottle or two of this. I've never had BA Old Rasputin, but it's been on my wish list for a while.
    tx_beer_man and UHCougar12 like this.
  9. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Does anyone know an average price of one of these. I've never seen nor herd of it. Does it come in 4pks or bomber?
  10. frogfan

frogfan Savant (350) Texas Sep 4, 2009

Comes in 500 ml bottles at $20 or so.
  11. lokieman

So a little more than a pint for $20...god I hate myself for loving this beer.
  12. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Is this the one you're talking about? I dont know if this is this year's or last years. I picked one up when I was in Portland recently - think I paid $23, which I didnt feel good about (but better than the $17.50 that 12oz of Cherry Adam ran me)

[​IMG]
  13. lokieman

XV is this year's batch...$23 on the west coast? Good to know it's still expensive close to the source...
  14. BK1017

BK1017 Aficionado (195) Texas Nov 9, 2009

tx_beer_man likes this.
  15. lokieman

I like Old Raspy...it's a classic but prefer a couple other in the same style and price range (ie...Double Stout, Black Chocolate Stout) but...something magical happens when you put Old Raspy in a bourbon barrel. I've never thought of the price tag when drinking this beer...it's irrelevant at that point.
    tx_beer_man and blatherbeard like this.
  16. BK1017

Yeah totally agree. This is one of those beers that I will happily pay money for, much like Cantillon. Totally worth it, and very drinkable. It's super balanced to begin with, but the barrel character adds extra goodness.

Everyone here should definitely try and grab a bottle if it gets here, or trade for one. I've done a 1-for-1 for locals to get it, so it's possible. It's sitting on shelves in other parts of the country. Just $$$.

BK
  17. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Wish i could have a crack at that for sure. I like Raspy ok, a bit bitter for me, but like lokie says, BA old raspy sounds godlike.

unlike lokie though, id take raspy over BCS ;)
  18. omnigrits

omnigrits Savant (345) Texas Jun 1, 2006

Dayum. That would make it by a country mile the most expensive beer I've ever encountered. I reckon that's $10.89 per pint - cost! That's more than twice the cost of Mysterium Verums, 120 Minute or Mephistopheles.
  19. kmello69

Very true. There was a TON of it just sitting on the shelves in pretty much every store I went into in Portland. The cost keeps it around longer, I'd imagine.
  20. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

I'd hope so ;-)
  21. RJC

RJC Aspirant (40) Texas Jan 5, 2013

I picked up a couple of bottles over the weekend from Stein's in New Orleans. $19/bottle which is the cheapest I've seen it.

On the way back I stopped by Calandros in Baton Rouge and they said they received 6 cases of BA Old Raspy. Because of that, I'm thinking we should get quite a bit here in Texas and it should be around for at least a few weeks.
  22. lokieman

They did say twice as much was allocated to Texas this year. It would be nice not to have to scramble around town, track down "beer guys" to ask for it and possibly be lied to by said "beer guys". I still see quite a bit of Black Ops around town and that's a similar price point. Hoping for the best....
    blatherbeard likes this.
  23. lokieman

If it doesn't make it Waco and I'm able to grab what I need I'd be more than willing to send you a bottle man. Keep me posted if you're interested...
    ThirdEyePA likes this.
  24. I passed on BA Raspy when I saw tons of it in a gas station in Sioux Falls, SD last February on my way down to Texas for vacation. I love Rasputin, but at the time thought almost $20 for 500ml bottle cannot be good value.

I've since had the pleasure of sampling 2 bottles shared by friends... good god. One of the few higher priced beers that is not only worth the price, but actually seems like a deal.
  25. BgThang

BgThang Savant (435) Texas Dec 23, 2007

I would pass on this years to be honest. I had 12 and Ive had the 14. both were X times better. 15 just lacked body and was a total different beast in a bad way.
    but hey its Beer advocate, and we are all rich with beer money:) so go and spend forth my friend
  26. BK1017

I would agree that this is a pricey brew, but compare it to the wine world.

Think of the most expensive wine you could buy at somewhere fairly common, like Specs... Easily more than $1000 for first growth Bordeaux, Champagne, and the like.

Think of the most expensive beer you can find. Utopias at $175-200 a bottle. BA Raspution is $20ish. Black Ops is $20ish.

Kind of a stupid comparison, I'll admit it, but in reality, even the most expensive beers are affordable for a special occasion. Or drinking on a Tuesday night. $20 BA Rasputin is worth it. I can't say it enough.

BK
  27. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Savant (370) Texas Nov 7, 2011

I appreciate that man! I'll shoot you a BM.
  28. I'm trying not to drink and buy beer this semester, which is my last semester, and I gotta pay down 8k in debt but it so far doesn't look like it'll be easy with everything coming out. Income tax will definitely help.
  29. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (350) Texas May 17, 2012

I picked up the second-to-last bottle of Barrel-Aged Old Rasputin XV tonight at the Spec's on 290 and Jones Road in Houston.

I also got a bottle each of Dogfish Head Noble Rot and Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti.
  30. lokieman

Huh? I haven't heard anything about BA Old Raspy hitting the state...
  31. rainerschuhsler

Neither had I, which is why I posted here. I was really surprised to find it, especially at a Spec's that I hardly ever go to.

[​IMG]
  32. rainerschuhsler

33. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Anyone seen this in Austin yet?

BTW: $450 for a 1/6 bbl... DAMN!
  34. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I've been seeing Noble Rot around, but the $15 price tag scares me away.
  35. kmello69

Which makes the guy trying to trade 3 Pliny for 3 Noble Rot in the trade forum all the more humorous
  36. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

It's...uh...interesting. I love DFH, but this was not my thing. Kind of like a yeasty sparkling wine with beer flavor added.
  37. HopAG

HopAG Savant (475) Texas Sep 22, 2012

Any of these still around? Thinking about picking one up after work.

H-town sightings anyone?
  38. bccocx

bccocx Advocate (685) Texas Jan 13, 2007

They definitely don't have this at Specs Brodie. I asked about it and was told they received it "months ago." I think that meant they clearly had no idea as to what I was talking about
  39. TapThat

TapThat Aficionado (140) Oregon Nov 8, 2012

That's around $15 cost for a 9oz pour. Curious how much Petrol is selling this for
  40. DonD

DonD Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 23, 2008

$18 snifter I believe.