1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BA Partridge in a Pear Tree, what will it take?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Paulydeets, Dec 23, 2012.

1. This is a feeler, maybe some one that has one will BM me to inquire otherwise I may have to start contacting people who have it in their gots.

I'd really like to track this down since I have the BA versions of the other Christmas beers. I have a lot of ammo, over 1000 bottles in my cellar, some veritas, cable car, RR one offs, LA one offs, captain Lawrence, Hill farmstead. I was hoping maybe something along the lines of Deviation plus blabaer? Would that be enough, possibly?

Looking for some guidance. Does anybody know a bottle count on this?

2. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

It will entirely come down to the specific wants of anyone with a BA Partridge. You definitely have some big stuff that might be enough. But there were only 240 bottles of this ever made, if I recall correctly, and I don't think anyone got more than one bottle. I'd definitely throw up a Deviation+ FT and see what happens.

3. You're certainly in the ballpark, but when it comes to bonafide whales, it really is up to what the holder is looking for. It's not just the rarity of it though, it's that anybody still holding onto it is likely doing so to complete the 12 year set.

Best you can do is post an ISO and list what you've got for the giving...

4. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

Wait till one day after the complete vertical comes out and trade some limited shelf beers for it.

crushedvol, AlexFields and Shmeal like this.
  5. Hmmmm, that will definitely help me save the "whales", lol. That seems to be the new thing.....

By the way, good to see you, hope all is going well. Where are you living currently? BM me if you'd like.

6. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Savant (260) California Dec 1, 2011

Everyone will hate me and flame me for this, but here goes. Tyler himself said that all things bottled on their old line are pretty much guaranteed to be oxodized. Batch 1, Partridge, all of the green bottles, anything on the old line. He said he would drink those bottles sometime around yesterday, unless trying to complete some sort of vertical.

Let the hate commence.

7. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Literally everyone agrees with this. I'm sorry you aren't as controversial as you wish you were. Obviously, only people trying to complete a vertical would want any 2008 Bruery beers.

8. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Savant (260) California Dec 1, 2011

Ah, I did not know that this was a widely accepted fact. Was not trying to be controversial, was just afraid the news might anger some, but I guess since it's already out, that's all moot.

9. I drank a ba partridge 4 months ago and it had zero oxidation. It was actually phenomenal.

I disagree with this.

black13 and libbey like this.
  10. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

I know iced eclipse traded for a ba partridge last year. If I had ever got that offer I'd of jumped on it.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  11. Tanger

Tanger Zealot (80) Pennsylvania May 21, 2008

For me, you're definitely on the right path offering Deviation and Blabaer....

12. waltonc

waltonc Savant (375) Colorado Oct 8, 2005

I opened a BA partridge two years ago and it was terrible. Much worse than regular partridge (which I liked). Traded my second bottle of it a year ago for a T20.

13. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (655) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Yep a local friend traded a BA Partridge for an Iced Eclipse to help complete an Eclipse Vertical we did.

I wish we could turn back time.

Cheers!

14. forgetfu

forgetfu Savant (280) Colorado Jul 27, 2007

Yes, yes it was. Pretty sure everyone who got a pour of that drainpoured at least some of their glass.

15. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (335) California Dec 22, 2011

I traded a Armand 4 set along with some regular Gueze for a BA Partridge.

16. I traded my BA PiaPT for a RR Depuration if that helps!

17. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (810) New York Dec 13, 2009

i had both about a week or two ago and i actually liked both...BA was superior, but both were pretty enjoyable to me and not oxidized. once you start to get into beers of this age, i think storage becomes a big differentiator. that being said, they didn't taste like there were going to get much better and i would doubt that they'd hold up well for the rest of the vertical.

GrumpyOldTroll likes this.
  18. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

This seems to be a common problem with verticals that are not comprised of stouts/sours/wilds. Really the novelty factor is the only thing that makes ppl want it because does anyone else genuinely desire to drink a 11 year old witbeer (maybe a 12 year old quad will fair better).

cosmicevan likes this.
  19. black13

black13 Savant (395) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

Another thing to consider, some people that have the BA Partridge may also have the other BA beers in the series and may only want to trade them all at once rather than just give up the first beer in the series. Aside from that, you have a great start.