1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BA Saisons like Solstice

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Prospero, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (665) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Asking the Mountain region as I'd like to get a barrel-aged saison that's distributed here, not looking for Tired Hands or Hill Farmstead, and yes I'm well aware of Crooked Stave's offerings.

Basically what I'm looking for is a barrel-aged dark saison like Funkwerks Solstice was a year ago. After having it last March I can't help but keep coming back to it as an excellent dark saison that has more depth to it than just oak-aged saisons. (Solstice used Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare w/ Cacao Nibs)

Any recommendations on beers that would be similar?

And yes, I'm aware of River North's BA J.Marie, looking for others, thanks. (Kinda hope they do a bourbon J.Marie instead of whiskey like they do now) It's a good one indeed.

2. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

If I remember right, Solstice and Dark Prophet are very similar beers. I think another round of Dark Prophet hit the shelves recently (not sure if it's more of the same batch or not). If you don't see it around, message me and I'll let you know where I saw it.

3. Prospero

Oh that's good to know.

4. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Yeah - I might be wrong about this, but I *think* the difference was using a fresh whiskey barrel vs. using one that had be used for previous beers. Andre would know as I believe Mile High provided the barrel for the first batch of Dark Prophet.

5. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

We need a bat signal for Andre. I think it would somehow involve wafting the aroma of Hill Farmstead into the wind.

6. I believe the first barrels used for the original Dark Prophet were acquired from Odell. Solstice was, as Prospero has stated, freshly emptied Bourbon barrels. Dark Prophet will be close but has more richness than the Solstice does. Stillwater has done barrel treated versions of their beers, some being very oak forward. Civil Disobedience #4 from Hill Farmstead is more smoke driven than Solstice but a unique take on the style. It's going to take a bounty of treasure to find but the original Phenomenology of the Spirit from Hill Farmstead was a dark Saison aged in oak.

Mile High did give Chad a freshly emptied bourbon barrel that is now housing a Saison, details soon...

Prospero; if you ever want to crack some Hill Farmstead, bourbon aged or not, just hit me up.

Prospero likes this.
  7. I've still got a bottle of Solstice if you want it.

Prospero likes this.
  8. Prospero

I do have a CD#4, waiting to open until next month.

9. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

If you're talking local, that's what Trinity's beers are - Pappy Legba, Oh Face, El Capitain. I think there are some Belgian options, too, but probably aged just in oak and not spirit barrels. Don't quite get exactly what you're looking for. Didn't Crabtree do a barrel-aged Cezanne, too? I believe so. Oh, and Signal de Botrange is still floating around out there. See it all the time, last time was at Argonaut.

10. Prospero

Signal de Botrange is wine barrels, and Trinity saisons have adjuncts like pumpkin, lavender and spices and some with Brett. I'm looking for a dark saison that's barrel-aged in bourbon preferably. I'll likely try Dark Prophet and see if that fits the bill.

In fact I may just have to take a stab at brewing this myself.

11. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (430) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

Phenomenology of Spirit was good. Looks like it will be available again next month.

-edit- Nevermind. That will be very different.

12. I have a couple bottles of it I haven't cracked yet either. Just too many other beers in the hopper to drink first.

oldp0rt likes this.
  13. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (430) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

I feel your pain.

14. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Dark Prophet is a barrel aged dark ale. They even changed the label this year. Never had Solstice to compare it to.

I really enjoyed the Elevation Signal de Botrange, though tha isn't a dark saison.

15. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Advocate (670) Colorado Aug 14, 2005

Can I play the other card here? I post this more of something to think about than to counter what you are looking for...but what really is the difference between a Belgian Dark Strong Ale versus a Dark Saisons? If you open that up there are tons of options out there.

joshclauss likes this.
  16. Prospero

mostly yeast difference, I think bsda is a catch all for strong belgians without a category

17. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

Not really what you're looking for, but Stone/Evil Twin/Stillwater's Perfect Crime is a smoked, dark saison. I thought is was interesting and pretty good.

18. BDSA usually have more of a fruity character from dark candy syrups and/or dark crystal malts. They also tend to be less attenuated than a saison. Dark saisons are usually fairly dry and rely more on adding subtle roasty character from chocolate varieties, carafa, roasted barley, etc. however the line between the two is quite blurred. You can have a low gravity dark saison -- even a table dark saison -- but no low gravity BDSA.